2016 Sooke Reports

Where is my 25 cents??!!!!!!! do you think there is a correlation of better tides and MORE people out fishing that the fishing would have stayed the same??? NOOOOOOOO
Everyone on here was ready to give up and surrender to the fish gods. 3 weeks ago when it was BAD tides and LOTS of wind.

Ill say it again fishing is HUGE to our community and for some to even suggest it should be closed needs their head examined especially when YOU dont even live here!!!!!
Wolf, you're wound a little too tight LOL. I would never give up or surrender to the "fish Gods", that's just silly. Sometimes you've gotta learn to make chicken soup outta chicken poop! Stick and stay and make it pay. You know more than most, because you're a good fisherman, you put your time in and it'll pay off for you in knowledge and skill.

Tight lines!!

Edit: I caught that little 18 pound beauty in my avatar last week near the trap shack doing my own thing and not following the crowd.

Last edited:
Wolf I think your shouting at the wrong crowd? We may complain when the fishing is slow, but I don't think anyone who's reading and posting on the Sooke Reports thread is suggesting a closure.

I don't think anyone who's reading and posting on the Sooke Reports thread is suggesting a closure. "QUOTE"

oh there is some that do and just not the natives......not going to name who but he knows!!!!
And no not wound to tight trust most relaxed ive been in a long time.
go fishing have fun .........

Fished from7:00am until noon today. Stayed around harbour mouth and Possession as it got very bumpy with the NW wind. Did a couple of passes of Possession before heading for the Bluffs. Had a long distance release on anchovy en route. Used up my half pack so switched to salted herring prepared from the herring ball scoops we took last year. Got a hit at 92’ in about 110’ of water and brought in a fat 8lb fish. No more hits after 10:30 am. Green/gold chrome teaser head and betsy flasher again.

Despite being only 8lb the fish was a mature male fully loaded and ready to go, as it were!

Fished 8:30-11:00am, launched at the Hotel, slow run out to Muir Creek. Bumpy and busy there, did a pass towards Sheringham until the tide change. Trolled the ebb back around Otter Pt, Hubby got a pin popper at 10:30, feisty spring, jumped out of the water 5 times! thought it was a coho!! short, fat hatchery, bbq fish. The wind was coming in the back and we were surfing back so we pulled the gear early. Nice to get one in the boat! Xena

I don't think anyone who's reading and posting on the Sooke Reports thread is suggesting a closure. "QUOTE"

oh there is some that do and just not the natives......not going to name who but he knows!!!!
And no not wound to tight trust most relaxed ive been in a long time.
go fishing have fun .........

Are these fishing reports, personal attacks or misguided political ramblings? If you have issues with certain individuals address them directly. My direct address to you is that you refrain from making general statements that single out any race of people. Your invested interest is known and understood. Maybe you should polish your ramblings and find a more productive forum.

Three bands (Katzie, kwantlen, seabird island) called for closure. Our friends at cheanuh marina were not amongst those calling for closure.

I usually avoid these squabbles like the plague but I have to say Guest11 that for a person who has been a member since yesterday, you are very quick to suggest people find another forum.
T2

NO of course Cheanuh doesnt case it affects them ... in the industry... my statement is the truth and my opinion.Guys like you are WHY i dont post much or a report anymore THANKS you have confirmed my beliefs even more good work....
But will agree to say go fishing...

I usually avoid these squabbles like the plague but I have to say Guest11 that for a person who has been a member since yesterday, you are very quick to suggest people find another forum.
T2

Times 2
Guest 11, we will look for some actual fishing reports from you next time....eh

EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion, but maybe not in the "fishing reports" area, maybe conservation would be a better outlet for these differences of opinion. MUCH respect Wolf. Always look forward to your reports!

I was out today with a buddy and we fished 7-2 from Aldridge to the Trap Shack in some pretty 'sporty' conditions. There was a ton of fish on the sounder but it was very slow until the bite turned on pretty good off the head at about noon. We were happy to hook into a beautiful chrome male Chinook in the low 20's at 1pm and after a few good runs it was in the box. We released a few 5-7lbers. 5" AP Herring Spoon was the ticket for the chrome bullet, no flasher on the line, dummy on the ball. All in all a good day for us and a nice change from fishing around Vic. Saw a handful of other nice fish caught too. There are fish out there folks. Ours told us he wasn't from the Fraser.

not a fishing report but maybe someone can help me out. My crab trap went missing from becher bay last week. I'll admit that the writing on my buoy was starting to fade but it was definitely still visible. Its a round stainless steel trap with lead line and a white buoy, any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to hit the water tomorrow evening so hopefully I'll have something to report other than a missing trap then!

Fished from 7:00am until 2:00pm today. Dropped the gear in the fog west of Otter and made a two hour troll against the flood through Muir to Sheringham. Not a touch and did not see anyone catch anything. Five other boats at Sheringham but by 10:30am they had begun to move off and by 11:00am they had all gone and we had the rest of the session pretty much to ourselves. Noticed most of the boats from Muir had called it a day as well!! Went out deep and managed a hatch coho on a hootchie at 160’ in 250’ of water. Came back in close to the light area for the tide change around lunchtime but still not a touch. One of the worst days I have ever had at Sheringham. Sure hope it is better for those in the derby over the week-end.

Their Here!
Fished out west this morning between otter and sheringham and picked up a 28 at 830 am and then a triple header at 1030 with gear set at 40, 60 and 80' and landed a 20 while the other 2 long line realeased
Good to see some fish again.
Cheers , Pachito

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    741 KB · Views: 79
I was out today with a buddy and we fished 7-2 from Aldridge to the Trap Shack in some pretty 'sporty' conditions. There was a ton of fish on the sounder but it was very slow until the bite turned on pretty good off the head at about noon. We were happy to hook into a beautiful chrome male Chinook in the low 20's at 1pm and after a few good runs it was in the box. We released a few 5-7lbers. 5" AP Herring Spoon was the ticket for the chrome bullet, no flasher on the line, dummy on the ball. All in all a good day for us and a nice change from fishing around Vic. Saw a handful of other nice fish caught too. There are fish out there folks. Ours told us he wasn't from the Fraser.
Hey Andrew, are you using the same leader lengths on the anchovy and herring as the Sandlance? Picked some up at Peetz a few weeks ago for my son and he wants to use them for the derby this weekend.
Cheers

Thanks for the reports guys! I will be up on Sunday kicking off our week long fishing vacation! Sounds like there are some fish around.

Fished from 7:00am until 2:00pm today. Dropped the gear in the fog west of Otter and made a two hour troll against the flood through Muir to Sheringham. Not a touch and did not see anyone catch anything. Five other boats at Sheringham but by 10:30am they had begun to move off and by 11:00am they had all gone and we had the rest of the session pretty much to ourselves. Noticed most of the boats from Muir had called it a day as well!! Went out deep and managed a hatch coho on a hootchie at 160’ in 250’ of water. Came back in close to the light area for the tide change around lunchtime but still not a touch. One of the worst days I have ever had at Sheringham. Sure hope it is better for those in the derby over the week-end.
Englishman, just curious, why troll against the flood rather than with it?

Nothing changes people who cant catch a fish put up a crap report.... like the positive ones good work guys... i will say for the ones that believe,
the fish are around you just have to take notice of whats going on .THEY are there.... one tip ill give you think outside the box sometimes tips up figured it out .....

Back