2016 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Anyone out this week? Probably work tomorrow, but putting in a shift on sunday...

We headed out to Epsom last night on Livelines boat. Kind of had a late start, and got the tail end of the afternoon bite. Put a 407 UV tubby at 99 ft and a 602 tubby at 113 ft. Five minutes in the 407 rod was shaking and by the time I got to her it popped, no big deal with plugs on. I caught up to the fish and started bringing her in, and the skip asked if I wanted the other rod up? Just as I said it should be good, about a hundred ft behind the boat she came up 4 ft out of the water and did a complete cartwheel and then started peeling line. Before I could say you better get the other rod up, the skip was already on it. Gained on her a bit and she came up out of the water again about 50 ft behind the boat and she went down, this could be my first tyee I was kind of thinking as I was now shaking a bit with adrenaline. Got her close to the boat and you could see the size of her, it was a legit shot at plus 30. She was tired and she gave one last ditch effort and rolled and bang plug to the boat. She was just floating there as we stared and cussed a couple of times, and then she took off. What a rush, thats what keeps me coming out.

Lots of boats around had the nets out, we ended up with a nice 18 lber on a 602.

Went out to Epsom this morning. Lots of bait and released two 1/2" undersize on anchovies. Waters got pretty rough so we called it a day after an hour or two and going to head back out there tomorrow for another try.

I'll be up that way for the middle two weeks of August and I've never fished the shoal, usually hit Epsom. Any tips?

Bjerre shoal essentially runs from Francis Point south to near the opening of Buccaneer Bay on Thormandy. It's very clear on a chart. It can be pretty fishy but like the whole area this year , it's pretty spotty.

Finally the wind gave us an opening on the water... to bad nothing but dogs and shakers for us tonight...

Been on a dry streak for decent fish... gotta swing my way soon... hopefully we can put a shift in this weekend.

image.jpg Out with HL this evening, spent the early side of the tide at upwood with no luck, packed up and went to epsom with the mass is boats, once everyone but a few of us left at around 830 the bite came on, lost two good fish and then got the screamer !! Almost had us spooled by the time the other rod got in the boat but we managed to chase it down and land a beauty 26lb white. Awesome fight for my deck hand!! Never leave to early !!

Back