2015 mercury opimax

I use Boeshield T9.

Beware the Mercury warranty. I just took my Opti in with a broken bolt on the Mercury steering. Motor and steering is 2 years old and there's a 3 year warranty on both because both were purchased and installed at same time which I made clear to the first shop. Went to pick up the boat and shop says the Mercury Rep says there's only a 1 year warranty on the steering and so they charged me for repair. Called Mercury and they confirmed that there is a 3 year warranty but their Rep is allowed to make up warranty duration decisions in the field with no documentation to dispute and too bad for me.

First shop (which shall not be named) did such a terrible repair (they used the wrong bolt) that I took it to another shop: Vector Yacht and they called Mercury directly. Vector got the entire steering assembly covered under warranty because there really is a 3 year warranty on the steering as I told the first shop.

So beware the Mercury shop you use and don't let the Mercury factory Rep get involved with warranty because that person has no clue what the warranty coverage actually is.

I have and do use Boeshield also. As I understand it, it was originally developed for the aircraft industry as a sealant/corrosion preventive for electrical connections, for example on electrical bus-bars etc, but in my view, is not per say as good a general overall motor corrosion preventative. For that purpose I will continue to use Deep Creep. I have a vague recollection that the name Boeshield was originally a reference to the Boeing Company.

Last edited:
Back