2015 Halibut Regulations

Very few people in all the regions even know these meetings occur. No bulletins on the front doors of local fishing stores or anything. Yet always here "get involved" etc etc. Hard to do so when the average Joe fisher doesn't even know they exist due to complete lack of effort to get it known publicly, which can be done without cost in many cases IMO. Hopefully this changes in the very near future. This should be one of the goals and responsibilities of the SFAC chair to be honest.

I agree. Meeting times and places should be printed on a page in the synopsis. Meetings should be held regionally. Instead of driving to kamloops(region 3) there needs to be meetings in my region (8). The Okanagan. The whole thing is pointless the way it is now.

Very few people in all the regions even know these meetings occur. No bulletins on the front doors of local fishing stores or anything. Yet always here "get involved" etc etc. Hard to do so when the average Joe fisher doesn't even know they exist due to complete lack of effort to get it known publicly, which can be done without cost in many cases IMO. Hopefully this changes in the very near future. This should be one of the goals and responsibilities of the SFAC chair to be honest.

Something is going to be un veiled shortly this spring.... and anyone on the forum can easily ask one of us involved for the info..remember no money and we all are voluntary's here.... U have stated that fact a few times...I can give u the job to get the word out if you would like to voluntary some of your time....always looking for more helping hands???

Remember a couple of years ago the big who-ha about the Area 14 SFAC being reclusive because we held the meeting during working hrs? So-- the chair listened and called evening meetings at the Courtenay Fish and Game club house and notices were posted at the sports shops and in the local press... Guess what ?? After the first meeting , virtually no one but committee members showed up. We are now back to daytime meetings when it is convenient for those of us who actually try to make a positive difference for area 14 . Seems to me that if those that are bitching at the volunteers , took Derby's offer and sat in for a few meetings, might change their minds

Guiding Principles
The following principles will be used to guide decisions on the structure and operations of the SFAB:

Transparent:

There should be transparency throughout the process based on open lines of communication and the provision of timely, accurate, accessible, clear and objective information. This information should be available to all participants in the process on an equal basis. DFO organizers, after considering the input of the SFAB executive and members, will provide access to agendas and information needed as a starting point for informed discussion well in advance of meetings. In addition, this information will be posted to a public website to ensure accountability to all Canadians.

This is from the DFO site if you aren't getting the info you need perhaps its them you need to contact?

Something is going to be un veiled shortly this spring.... and anyone on the forum can easily ask one of us involved for the info..remember no money and we all are voluntary's here.... U have stated that fact a few times...I can give u the job to get the word out if you would like to voluntary some of your time....always looking for more helping hands???

Starting in September I am more than willing to do so. Can print off meeting times and post at hot spots for local anglers in the areas I will be most involved. Next year I'll most likely will be living in nanaimo but will be travelling to hardy for those meetings.

Next year I'll most likely will be living in nanaimo

What??????? abandoning one of the best fishing areas in BC?????? How am I going to get my hot tips!!! LOL!!

Sculpin is your new co-chair....:)

Thanks for that :rolleyes::p:D lol.....

man_target_on_back_lg_clr.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Dave, but I don't have the time to go around putting up posters, and our meetings are well attended by some very knowledgeable people. If you would like to be the poster boy, than you could volunteer your time and $$ to take on this task. Maybe Vic-Tory could help you with this?

In the meantime, for those of you that feel you were not given the opportunity to get involved, try searching SFAB. You will come across the DFO website that has the SFAB North coast, South coast and Main Board meeting times and dates. For local committee meetings, it lists the contact info for the "Recreational fishing Coordinators". These are the DFO staff that organize all the consultative meetings. Pick the coordinator that deals with your area and give them a call or email to request meeting times, locations and materials. Your area coordinator would be happy to email the minutes to you, and provide you with all the information to get involved. Nothing hidden, you just have to ask, and the contact info has been on the web the whole time. Its not that hard if you really want to be involved!

You will not find meeting minutes posted on line anymore. This is because Ottawa has cut funding to the department and they no longer have the $$ to translate the materials into French, which is law if it is to be posted on the federal gov't website. Call your local MP to complain if you have a problem with this, but don't start telling volunteers that are already overworked what their goals and responsibilities should be. :mad:

I find the translation excuse bogus. You are right that DFO is required by law to provide information in both official languages if there is sufficient population to warrant translation. However I believe that any Federal Department who is failing to provide information based on the fact they can't afford translation, is dancing in the dragons jaws. It is the Departments mandate to make this information available to the public, full stop! Not volunteers! If you can provide me with a link from a Departmental rep stating they will not make the information available in either language because they can't afford,translation, I'll be happy to write a letter to my MP and see if we can get a Ministerial inquiry!
I appreciate the work of the volunteers, but it is not their job to publish minutes or advertise meetings! That is the job of DFO! They seem to be stick handling their responsibility to the volunteers and letting them take the heat.

There is something being unveiled shortly so you will be able to minutes and such......all in due time

Back