2013 FISHING REPORTS VANCOUVER: Gibons to Tsawwassen & Howe Sound

Firstlight

Its May and the season is upon us. My understanding is that the salmon action starts around West Van to the Cap with the occasional fish off Bowen and then moved out to the Nainamo area in June. But what are the signals of where to go and when? Im told that its relates to the type of bait in the water...needle fish for example. Also to the tides, moon, and bottom. Can anyone unlock all this simply for us all?

Berlioz, right now the 2 main fisheries for vancouver guys//gals is either south end of bowen (the hump) or across the water (Thrasher ect.). West Van//cap fishing is later. Herer is a new report from a guide operation Bon Chovy....

Solid Vancouver Fishing Continues!! May 15th
Filed under: Granville Fishing Charter Report, Vancouver Fishing Reports — Jason @ 7:16 am
We have had quite the week of angling. Most of our trips over the last week had great results with good numbers of chinook salmon up to 26 pounds. Most trips are seeing 4 to 10 hook ups a trip! We had a great day locally yesterday hooking 8 legal fish, a couple undersize, and a nice coho!

We have been doing well off the South End of Bowen Island and the Gulf Islands. Over the last few days our local fishery off the South End of Bowen Island has been just as good as the Gulf Islands.

On the Vancouver side of Georgia Strait, the “Hump” has been quite good. It has been especially productive on the last couple hours of the ebb and the first hour of the flood over the last few days. Anchovies were the ticket mid week, but spoons were definitely outproducing bait for the fleet on the weekend. Silver Horde spoons in the 3.5 to 4 inch range and the No Bananas G Force were good producers from 70 to 130 feet.

Over on the Gulf Island’s the offshore tacks from Entrance Island down to Thrasher Rock were pretty solid over the last week. The action slowed a bit late last week, but has since picked back up from the sounds of the radio chatter over the last few days. We have stayed on the Vancouver side so far this week as the fishing has been very good.

We will continue to focus our efforts on the South End of Bowen Island and the Gulf Islands for the rest of May. As we get into early June, the Gulf Island’s will likely be best producing area.

The summer like weather and the heavy rain that has followed over the last 10 days has really done a good job reducing the snow pack on the local mountains. It is looking like we may have decent Coho salmon fishing by the third week of June if this trend continues. It would be great to have an early start to our West Vancouver fishery!!

Please give us a call or an email if you would like to head out and experience some of the solid chinook fishing we are having right now!

What exactly is a " No Bananas G-Force"?

Gibbs-Delta Tackle's new series of spoons.

The No Bananas is a take off on the Luhr Jensen Yellow Tail Coyote. I think there are 3 sizes.

The spoon appears to be named after "No Bananas" Charters by Trevor Z.

It is has a durable glow finish.

It's not available in stores yet. I was on Gibbs Delta Facebook Page and there are pics n there.

Looks good...let's see if they catch fish better than the Gators or Gypsies....I have never had much success with Gators or Gypsies...

View attachment 7192

Bon Chovy is testing them I think

Yep. Sounds like it. Going to be interesting to see how well the spoon works in a variety of speeds. It looks like this may be a flutter action spoon.

Every fisher has probably noticed that some spoons are "sure fire" but others seem to be less consistent in certain circumstances.

Those original Coyotes and their paint jobs are hard to beat. My experience thus far with Gibbs larger sport spoons is that they are a little heavier and I have found that they need a bit more speed than other spoons. A local ex commercial troller has been doing exceptionally well with larger commercial spoons.

Will be interesting to see the finish on these as well.

Silver Horde have been good...but a buddy had another pretzelled by a 25 lber a week ago and the hooks aren't so great. They're cheap enough anyways.

A local charter boat I know has been slamming them pretty good on Oki Titan No. 5 size but finding stock in the lower mainland is difficult.

http://www.okitackle.com/titanspoons_4.shtml

Tight lines and Thank You to Gibbs for bringing a new product to market.

Back