2012 marine weather---wcvi + ecvi wind / la nina effect?

Sharphooks

Does anyone who has spent a lot of hours on the water this year (either WCVI or ECVI ) have any comments about whether the overall marine weather has been good, bad or about normal compared to past years?

Where I fish, the weather has generally been sucky--15 to 25 has been the norm; just when you expect it to die down in the evening it picks up.

I was on my way to Pt. Hardy tomorrow AM. Until I saw the extended weather for QCS and Central Coast-- 20 to 35 a couple of days in a row?

I know some guys look at that and do an instant discount because they're leaving in the early AM, do their damage, then they're back in Hardy Bay before the NW machine cranks up.

My plan was to go across QCS and camp on the mainland. It's easy to get stuck over there on the water, late afternoon on an ebb tide (lots of late afternoon ebb tides next week). It can get real nautical on those PM boomer ebbs.

20 - 35 made me pull the plug. Any comments on whether this summer has been about average or has it been more blustery then normal???

Last edited by a moderator:
I basically fish ECVI....and this year it seems it has been a gong show in many departments.

The wind especially.

More windy days than I can shake a stick at.

Used to be you could go by forecasts for the next couple of days and they would hold for the most part, (with a middle finger to Environment Canada Marine).

Now I can't even tell you what it's going to do this afternoon.

I use 3 or 4 wind-predictor sites....and they all contradict each other daily.

No forecaster site seems to know how to nail it........

Environment Canada may as well park a big red blot around the entire island and leave it there......that's what they show usually anyway.

Compared to other places our weather is not too bad generally......no major damage like other places (fingers crossed).

But from a fishing standpoint......well....it hasn't been too good.

Been strange to a certain extent, but the weatherman has been off a lot of the time.

Last week, it was blowing 30+ in Hardy and when I came down to McNeill, it was flat calm, maybe blowing 5. It quite blowing by the time I got to 7 mile, but was still blowing in Hardy. Lots of localized winds.

Some days, it has been calling for 25, yet never reaches 15. It a crap shoot with the weather this year...actually the last few years.

I think the weather has been good so far up here, for wind. Last week was weird though with sunny, clear weather and lots of wind, not the norm.

Best job is being a weatherman, you can be wrong 50% and still have a job!!!

Cheers

SS

Thanks for those comments, guys. I feel like Chicken Little pulling the plug on Hardy---but the wind forecasts and the PM ebbs are what got my attention--I'm trying to minimize adventure these days--I feel like a cat who's way past the 9 number...

Going to try Hardy in mid-August instead---hope La Nina is back in the crib by then.

Tomorrow I'm heading to Uke instead--I like the idea of an "inside" for the hidey hole option when they paint everything red

Yeah it has at least been a tough July for wind-very difficult to put a couple of good days together for a WH or 3 for say cape Scott. Noticed you didn't mention Swell Watch in your bag of tricks-I won't crank a wheel unless I see that lining up-have used it for 3 years now and it has proved itself and goes everywhere unlike Big Wave Dave. http://forecasts.surfingmagazine.com/

Cool site, SF---and a hot tip, too

So at what specific Period level do you think twice about whether or not to bust a move--- 10?

Is there a succinct correlation between wind speed and period or is it effected by geographical considerations?

( i.e. wind over the open Pacific vs. wind in Johnstone Strait etc )

Thanks your comments

I correlate wave height and period-I like the blue and love purple--4 ft and less LOL I'll go with the green as long as the period is plus 10. I also look at the local public forcast and the marine as well. I like to see them all line up. The thing about Swell watch is you can see what's coming next( especially on WCVI)-so I know if the weather system were to speed up a bit while I am out there then I know what is coming next. Great site-haven't been surprised on the bad side in 3 years-much better track record than I had before. The swell does not always seem to be driven by the local wind-that's what is so unique about the site.

Have added Swell Watch to my fav, great site. Could not get the days to show for a while, untill my #4 son told me to hit F11, sure widens the picture, but you must hit F11 also when exiting. hope this helps those that have had the same problem. .................BB

Back