2011 / 2012 Winter Springs

FishBC.org

As the season winds down , another begins soon.
Might as well get a fresh thread going.
Rigging tackle this coming week, and putting the summer stuff away.

What's your favorite thing about winter spring fishing?
Mine's the taste. Usually grab prawns at the same time.

Mine is no afternoon gales off Sooke!

I usually catch at least 1 feeder every time I go out. Gets really quiet though in Feb/Mar till June but you can always do some Hali fishing then, if permitted.

never fished for winter springs before but looking forward to it. heard they taste great, whats the differnce in gear between winter and summer?

rook,, the water is clean,, so no flasher, run deep,, like bottom deep.. the fish are incredible, purple and firm.

I think the beauty of winter fishing is the flat calm days, lack of pressure, and quality eating of winter backmouths. Not to mention you can still get some hogs! Had a 27lb winter spring in march off Wilf Rock in Tofino!

What does everyone like to use for gear on winter springs? In my limited experience,I've had success with bait/spoons behind a flasher on an extra-long leader(sometimes 8-9 feet!), or needlefish hootchies behind flashers. Of course everything is fished right on bottom with the cannonball dancing through the sand.

Any other gear tips or winter spring tips? Hoping to get out a bunch this winter as ill have the boat in the water all winter!

I think the beauty of winter fishing is the flat calm days, lack of pressure, and quality eating of winter backmouths. Not to mention you can still get some hogs! Had a 27lb winter spring in march off Wilf Rock in Tofino!

What does everyone like to use for gear on winter springs? In my limited experience,I've had success with bait/spoons behind a flasher on an extra-long leader(sometimes 8-9 feet!), or needlefish hootchies behind flashers. Of course everything is fished right on bottom with the cannonball dancing through the sand.

Any other gear tips or winter spring tips? Hoping to get out a bunch this winter as ill have the boat in the water all winter!

hey rook,stick with me,you will get your boat load of winter springs,,maybe we'll even get you some big dungees,,just brining some coho to get ready to smoke,,,yummy

I have more success with 5 ft.leaders odd Sooke in the winter. Some have considerable success with leaders as short as 27 inches. I also troll a little faster. Because of speed and depth, I stay away from bait. If you have someone else in the boat it lightly work for you. Purple haze/glow white hoochies; cop car/green white spoons.

"Theb55
I have more success with 5 ft.leaders odd Sooke in the winter. Some have considerable success with leaders as short as 27 inches. I also troll a little faster. Because of speed and depth, I stay away from bait. If you have someone else in the boat it lightly work for you. Purple haze/glow white hoochies; cop car/green white spoons."

Really? shorter leaders in the winter than summer? Never heard of this or tried this before but will have to experiment when they start showing up in English Bay/ Howe Sound..

28- 32" for squirts/hoochies 36-40" for spoons works well, they are active "feeders" and prefer a faster moving target.
keep your gear as close to the bottom as possible.
Often get strikes while the cannon ball is bouncing bottom.

In summer 9' leaders are not uncommon, 6-8' the norm. In winter we run 5' to start and go shorter. Personally I have never used a 23-28" leader with bait but my friends have. It is easier to shorten rather than lengthen a leader. Perhaps Sooke with its big tides and wind poses unique circumstances

Back