2010 Consultant's Invitational Fishing Derby

workin on it workin on it! Catering is good to go, so at least Claire and Tara, I'll work on Charity, and if not her, another fine Taphouse lady or one of Claire's hot friends (her words). Raffle girls will be fine - we have 12 to choose from after all, so i'm sure we can find enough available regardless of date! Beer...there shall be beer :D

I make things happen...can't stop that now!

OK, here it is - THE FINAL DATE:

This Derby will take place on Sat July 3rd, 2010 at the Sooke Harbour Marina. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by the back and forth scheduling. It was a tough decision for the committee to make but we feel it is the best for the event and for our charity. Thanks for your support!

there will be beer - I can officially say that now even if it meant me taking my serving it right exam at 11:30 last night and hanging around Sooke waiting for a sargeant to review the event application!

Oh yes, and lots of fine women...I think 8 is the last count I know of :D

Alright my friends! Another successful event lies behind us now. Despite the most challenging fishing conditions yesterday off Sooke and Victoria (sloppy waters, swells, weeds everywhere, no salmon around, Orcas came by ...) the 2010 Consultants Invitational Fishing Derby was another hit this year. Some of the crews in smaller boats that didn't leave the harbour due to the heavy seas in the morning found other things to do until the party began. The brave souls pounding the seas still seem to find enjoyment on the boats - thanks to our fantastic skippers who helped out again this year. And some extraordinary fishermen even found a way to lure some of those elusive salmon out there. Mike Homenuke of Team KWL did it again and pulled in the biggest salmon with the help of one of our forum members - Blackpearl! Congratulations and hats off! Bill West of Team 1st Team and Scott Adams of Team CRD came in 2nd and 3rd. Kudos for getting those fish under the toughest conditions! Some nice halibut came in too since halibut fishing seemed a lot more promising than salmon fishing. Skipper Claude Champagne was the shining star and won the prestigious Best Skipper award for getting his crew into 5 halibut that day. Please find the results here: http://consultantsinvitational.ca/2010-results.html

Good food, great music, lots of beverages served by lovely ladies and tables full of prizes made up for poor fishing earlier. The Sooke Salmon Enhancement Society is now $11,000 richer and will be able to replace some tired equipment for the goods of our future salmon generations in the Sooke River watershed. Many thanks to all our sponsors, to all the skippers and volunteeers who helped out and donated their time and equipment, and a big thanks to the Sooke Harbour Marina Resort and its Manager Rick Horn for having been a fantastic host of the event! And finally: awesome work Deewar25 - it was mostly your baby this year!

All in all another successful year although of course not without its share of challenges - venue, dfo [B)], new managers, ticket printing etc etc Pretty much as expected. Anyway, weather was great, fishing not so, whales (please leave our event alone one of these years). Event went off with few hitches (not enough beer being one of those but that wasn't helped by the 25 late signups after we got our license). Hope everyone that attended had a great time - $11000 donated this year to Sooke Salmon Enhancement - we hoped to top last year, but the economy just would not let it be. Regardless. Kudo's to all the committee members and a huge thanks to Rick and his crew + all the skippers that offered their boats and time for this event (with many from this forum). You made up at least 1/2 the boats on the water and it just doesn't happen without you. Big thanks all around. Hope we had enough girls for you :)

sse.jpg

BTW, just for your info: the derby committee decided to make another donation in about $1,000 to the Goldstream Hatchery to help them purchase needed equipment for oxygenating fish tanks. This donation was possible due to left-over monies after the event.

Back