200lb PowerPro

tubby

How does the 200lb stuff hold up if you're dragging abit of bottom. I just brought some stuff but it seems pretty thin. I've been running the 250lb Scotty braid (thick as hell) but have to admit I've never had a break yet and that with some major dragging (mostly unintentional). Appreciated thoughts on those that have used it for a least a couple of seasons...........thinking of upgrading to 250lb PowerPro.

Is there anywhere in Vancouver or Vancouver Island you can find 200# power pro for a good price?

Go direct to the Power Pro web site. It was only $70 for 2x300' spools. Takes a week or 2. What happened to me though was that my mail got way laid. I e-mailed an inquiry, they could not find my order and sent me 2 more spools. Nice.

I bought 500 yards here for $99.

http://www.alltackle.com/power_pro.htm

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

Happy Fathers Day

Thought I'd bring this back from the archives ,
Well now that i have used the one DR with Power Pro/200lb , I am fairly happy with it ,less blow back ,smooth of the spool , But , I have the red Scotty stoppers placed on the line for auto stop usage . I find the Scotty Power Grip clips definitely slide up and down the line , especially when fishing deeper water , I have played around with the red stoppers , they also tend to slide , Also used surgical tubing on the clips , tubing fell off a couple of times , we had the riggers working NON stop last trip , found it to be a bit of a pain , I typically stack my my lines in 20 ft increments when needed , I don't want to clip right on the ball , I like to go 5 feet up from the ball when I'm dragging the banks , saves my flashers , What have you expeience guy's found to work the best , What is the best way to secure the red stoppers , Glue sounds like a bit of a bandaid fix , but , if it's needed , so be it ...thanks in advance ,FD...;)

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

FD,

I run a 3-foot section of parachute cord between a 4/0 ball bearing snap swivel (to the weight) and 4/0 ball bearing barrel swivel. Then I tie uni-knots to each swivel. The "shock cord" is attached to PP via a palomar knot on the top barrel swivel. The trolling snap will stay secure under the top uni knot and not slide AT ALL. Parachute cord is tough stuff- drag away!

To secure your slacking points, place three stops inline together. I found out the hard way that super glue will weaken the power pro with time...

Here's a picture of the setup (non ball bearing swivels):

ShockCord.jpg

www.CaptainDownriggins.com

Happy Father's Day. No expert, and not that experienced. One idea is to use the length of gangion that fits your boat and clip to it. The knot/join will stop your downrigger. Take turns playing fish, run a 3rd rod out the stern for cohoes and the odd spring, and don't bother stacking. This method will eliminate the chance of ruining a trip by getting Krazy Glue on your foreskin or eyelids. :)

You can try the tandem stacker clips. The ones that are two connected clips with a duolock snap. The duolock snap is atatched to the rigger line. The one clip holds the other release in place on the rigger line so it can't wander. When you reach the clip when pulling up riggers simply unclip the one on the rigger line, and the clips slide down the rigger line to the ball. These types of clips are obviosly more expensive because they use two release clips. You could save money by rigging your own, if you use an old clip that has grooves or worn pads this could be a good way of reusing ones that are no good for line releases. I usually rig all my own clips anyways, that way they are exactly the way I lke them.

thanks boys
Captain Downriggin , i will start with your advice on the Ball end ,Where would i find Parachute cord ? Thank-You
I was playin around with some 200 braid at home , what if i tied a small half hitch below and above the red stopper ,1 inch apart , just enough room to fit the stopper ,prevent slippage ,( stacked lines above ) works here at my desk , or will the little knots perhaps jeopardize the integrity of the line , thanks in advance, FD...

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

Try Pacific Net or Nikka, we use ganion(spelling??) cord and we set our first release off of it rigged with the same about half way on a swivel. It is friction fit to allow adjustment up or down if need be. The clip is always on the line. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

they have figured out the bottom line but what about stacked rod I found that it slips to I was wondering about a swivel on the line a small on to prevent it from sliding I will use the cord on the bottom

Spring Time , thx , yes the bottom parachute cord is a must, the stackers are what were looking for now.

I think I may have read this here somewhere in the old posts , " Swivels " as our stoppers ! The beads always slipped up the line , never down , so 2 swivels . one as a stopper , appx 5 feet down another, for the Release stopper , ( Stacker ones ) attach the clip just below the lower swivel , this will prevent it from slipping up when ya crank up on reels , waves etc ...this sounds like a fix , no beads , what do ya think , maybe a bead below the swivels , so as to have a back-up visual as they near the surface , what do ya guy's think , will this be wise , How many pounds are those swivels , would have to be about the same body size as a red stopper , thx - FD....

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by The Fog Ducker

thanks boys
Captain Downriggin , i will start with your advice on the Ball end ,Where would i find Parachute cord ? Thank-You
I was playin around with some 200 braid at home , what if i tied a small half hitch below and above the red stopper ,1 inch apart , just enough room to fit the stopper ,prevent slippage ,( stacked lines above ) works here at my desk , or will the little knots perhaps jeopardize the integrity of the line , thanks in advance, FD...

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

I don't think tying a knot is the answer- unless you tied a nail knot. Might be a pain with a 30 foot tag line, but the knot would be strong and save the integrity of the line.

Perhaps pinching a small split shot weight would be helpful?

www.CaptainDownriggins.com

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

I bought 500 yards here for $99.

http://www.alltackle.com/power_pro.htm

I have been humming and hawing about replacing my line. I have Scotty 250# I believe, and it has huge blowback. I've always judged trolling speed by line angle, and that screws it all up. Plus, hard to fish very deep.

The prices are good at alltackle...I think I'll just order it. I think I'll go for 150#, as that sounds good enough. Lots of reports here of it working fine.

However, a question for those who have used alltackle...on checkout, it says shipping fee $57US for Int'l orders. I called them up, they said int'l shipping is $20something, but that's not an option given on the order webpage. Anyone else have experience with this? Savings pretty much gone if the shipping is that high. I have a US mail drop in Pt Roberts I use, but a hassle.

Regarding stacking, as mentioned above, if you use Scotty PowerGrip "Stacker", then no need for crazy glue, knots, or anthing else! (no, I'm not sponsored or have shares in the company, it just works!)

stacker.jpg

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca

depending on how much line you want on your rigger's,
i bought a 450' spool of 150# powerpro from Trotac
for about $40.00. and put 225' on each rigger.
No problem's whatsoever

Back