20’ Hourston Questions, and hopefully answers

I think you can expect the hull to be about 2000-3000lb with no engine or fuel. (i could be off a bit)
Once fully kitted out they are around 4500-5500 lb a friend of mine took his to a scale on Vancouver island.
Not sure on maximum HP (is there such a thing?) but 200-250 is perfect depending on your goals.

The 20ft hull had issues from the factory with proposing even with inboard models.
Having the fuel tank further forward on the soft top ones would be a good improvement but that's not possible with yours.

My suggestion as you know is big trim tabs, and weight in the bow, and you will be okay.

I used a calculator on my 20 hourston and it worked out to 265 hp. (Can not find link)Boats over 20 feet are rated by the manufacturer and don not have capacity plates. 275 hp on my boat was way to much. The 200 I have now is perfect

I think you can expect the hull to be about 2000-3000lb with no engine or fuel. (i could be off a bit)
Once fully kitted out they are around 4500-5500 lb a friend of mine took his to a scale on Vancouver island.
Not sure on maximum HP (is there such a thing?) but 200-250 is perfect depending on your goals.

The 20ft hull had issues from the factory with proposing even with inboard models.
Having the fuel tank further forward on the soft top ones would be a good improvement but that's not possible with yours.

My suggestion as you know is big trim tabs, and weight in the bow, and you will be okay.
Hello Myles!
Wondering when you’d find this lol. My boat on its way back from Port Alberni was weighed at the commercial scales disconnected from the the truck with a tongue weight scale under the trailer leg. In stock V8 inboard trim, It was 5070.63 lbs (including an 1100lb trailer). I’m really excited to see how much it is after the mod. The inboard engine with outdrive in my pickup dropped off at the scrap metal dealer was 897lbs.

Before this thread morphs or snowballs into something else (the extra info and photos are very appreciated)........

The information I was after is the maximum weight which is better quantified as the gross load capactity (the legal weight you can take on the boat) I want this information to do some more math for my own personal nerdy buoyancy calculations. The old brochures might have it and those would be nice for nostalgia as well.

Your build is looking exceptional and thanks for all the other info especially vinyl-ester primer and gel coat info.

Cheers

I used a calculator on my 20 hourston and it worked out to 265 hp. (Can not find link)Boats over 20 feet are rated by the manufacturer and don not have capacity plates. 275 hp on my boat was way to much. The 200 I have now is perfect
Yes, I mentioned earlier that boats over 6 meters are not required (but can have them) and that’s why I was hoping a late model boat might have something, or somebody had a brochure, or an owners manual.
The factory Volvo 190D V8 2barrel 302 ford was 140hp (at the flywheel).
I believe the most outboard power Hourston ever put on the 20’ was a 200hp Yammy.

The USCG used to have an online calculator but they’ve pulled it probably for liability.

Thanks for the reply dude

Last edited:
I think it all depends on how the boat is used and how it's set up-trust me I've been through the ringer on this by now. I would love a V8 300hp but they don't make it in the four-stroke model, it needs to be V8 verado with AMS which adds lbs and $ hence why i went 250V8. My rule of thumb is to go as much HP as possible (within reason) with the transom weight the boat can handle. More HP will allow you to run higher pitch props giving a better economy at cruise speed by lowering the rpm at that speed.

Anything from 200-300 is good for these boats doesn't mean the boat will be much faster but it will allow the user to lug around at a lower rpm cruise. When the boat goes on a bigger 300-mile trip it can be loaded right up but still have the holeshot and acceptable cruise. The absolute worst thing on a powerboat is not having enough HP when conditions become challenging eg climbing large waves, running rapids etc.

That all being said if my hourston was just for day/weekend trips less HP would be fine and saves money on the capital side too.
It all depends on the application and requirements of the operator :)

Hello Myles!
Wondering when you’d find this lol. My boat on its way back from Port Alberni was weighed at the commercial scales disconnected from the the truck with a tongue weight scale under the trailer leg. In stock V8 inboard trim, It was 5070.63 lbs (including an 1100lb trailer). I’m really excited to see how much it is after the mod. The inboard engine with outdrive in my pickup dropped off at the scrap metal dealer was 897lbs.

Before this thread morphs or snowballs into something else (the extra info and photos are very appreciated)........

The information I was after is the maximum weight which is better quantified as the gross load capactity (the legal weight you can take on the boat) I want this information to do some more math for my own personal nerdy buoyancy calculations. The old brochures might have it and those would be nice for nostalgia as well.

Your build is looking exceptional and thanks for all the other info especially vinyl-ester primer and gel coat info.

Cheers
yah 3500lb sounds just about right to me ;)

I have had 5 adults on mine (avg 200lb ea) 1000lb, 75 us gal of fuel (480lb), and roughly 600lb of gear. So call it 2000lbs.

Could feel the weight but didn't feel uncomfortable. Not the answer you are looking for, but just my experience last year. If you find the rated info i would be very interested as well.

Back