20’ Hourston Questions, and hopefully answers

Fritz

Hello again out there in Wifi land,

Hope everyone is enjoying the nice weather as I’m about to. If I’ve missed previous threads please forgive me (I’ve searched).

I’m looking for any documentation and hopefully a picture or transcription possibly of a compliance notice plate for the 20’ Hourston and maybe some legible photos of brochures or anything about gross weight ect. ect.

My boat never had a compliance notice and I am looking for published values not conjecture and would really appreciate it!
Especially if it’s info on a factory podded boat.

And I did try phoning/ contacting Hourston in hopes somebody would answer.

Thanks again,

FritzF4FBCE87-96E1-4398-996D-EC73330B6275.jpeg

Yeah hourston has long wrapped operations. You might want to call Haruna in Vancouver and ask to speak with Pete as he was with Hourston for years and can likely point you in the right direction.

Yeah hourston has long wrapped operations. You might want to call Haruna in Vancouver and ask to speak with Pete as he was with Hourston for years and can likely point you in the right direction.
That’s a very good tip,
Thank you, I’m still hoping one of the other Hourston aficionados on here might have an archive possibly as well.

Thanks Again,

Fritz

My 26 Hourston doesn’t have that plate either
Yeah, as your probably aware it wasn’t until the very late 80’s that boats in Canada were required to have it. I’m not trying to generate a plate per say but, having the real numbers (max hp, gross weight, usable load, passenger capacity) and being able to compare the factory podded numbers to un-podded and generally knowing the numbers as a responsible boat owner I would really appreciate.

And nostalgia of course fits in there to,:)

Mine was but in 2003 and I don't recall seeing a plate anywhere either.

I noted in another thread that Bill recently shared they used Armstrong brackets or they would custom build them. I think they mostly used Armstrong brackets. There's a light blue 20'at rvyc that sure looks like an Armstrong bracket to me.

Mine was but in 2003 and I don't recall seeing a plate anywhere either.

I noted in another thread that Bill recently shared they used Armstrong brackets or they would custom build them. I think they mostly used Armstrong brackets. There's a light blue 20'at rvyc that sure looks like an Armstrong bracket to me.
E661A75E-54D7-4DB0-BA43-CDE643E30491.jpeg

Attachments

• C662CD67-F1FC-4E55-B547-A31DBBFAEF51.jpeg
    C662CD67-F1FC-4E55-B547-A31DBBFAEF51.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 6A057B40-DF76-4CDE-B898-AEE7EF6AAE20.jpeg
    6A057B40-DF76-4CDE-B898-AEE7EF6AAE20.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 21B60542-78E9-4A8B-BC1F-F50531B0A7E9.jpeg
    21B60542-78E9-4A8B-BC1F-F50531B0A7E9.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 62
I went with a hull extension full flotation pod. I believe/ my hypothesis is the late model 20’ soft tops solved the CofG problem by putting the fuel tank in the step down of the cabin. I didn’t want to ruin Hourston’s lines. I’m a puritan for this boat and am even restoring the teak accented “A” pillars at the aft of the hard top. I kept my saddle tanks for the reason of other than the pod I want the boat to look like it did from the factory in 1977!

Thank you so, so much for the info

As for the one or two twin OB 26' island runners, he specifically stated they didn't move the fuel tank or do any ballast. The fuel tank ended up 1.5' longer up the center line under the floor simply to increase capacity for the twin 2 strokes.

I think these boats are decently set up already. It's not a super heavy diesel coming out and your pod rig looks really great, my pod design will be exactly as yours is.

What are you mounting for power? Looking forward to the big reveal pics!

As for the one or two twin OB 26' island runners, he specifically stated they didn't move the fuel tank or do any ballast. The fuel tank ended up 1.5' longer up the center line under the floor simply to increase capacity for the twin 2 strokes.

I think these boats are decently set up already. It's not a super heavy diesel coming out and your pod rig looks really great, my pod design will be exactly as yours is.

An L4 Verado :cool:

If you are looking for a Pod fabricator, the guy who’s doing mine has auto-cad’d my set up which the lay-up was very generously loaned to me from a very successfully set up 20’

If you are looking for a Pod fabricator, the guy who’s doing mine has auto-cad’d my set up which the lay-up was very generously loaned to me from a very successfully set up 20’
The part I find most impressive is he matched the contour of my hull with the inner fwd bulkhead. It’s curved 1/10” on the horizontal and 1/4” on the vertical. It fits the Hourston Transom bubble butt beautifully!

He is from the Aerospace Industry and also used 5086 marine aluminum with double filleted tigged welds. I’m sure you can tell I’m excited! It’s getting the upper platform this weekend.

Screenshot_20210530-155705_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here's a factory 20' with a pod that looks a heck of a lot like an Armstrong. Just a pod too, no swimgrid by all appearances.

Here’s a cabin picture of that exact boat. You can see they filled the step down in with the fuel tank. The Armstrong brackets are stepped for speed. The factory podded 20’ were (from what I have read) 50mph boats and dropped a considerable amount of weight losing the hardtop and large side windows. I just can’t seem to find any published data other than small clues on other forums.

What I really need is a compliance notice or specifications for a podded or un-podded boat. A brochure would be amazing, Or an owners manual!

Thanks again for the pic and for looking!3AC4C243-B681-40FB-A004-D40BB65C5CEF.jpeg

Last edited:
I have all the original documents for mine but its a 26...I can have a look if it helps at all next time I'm at the shed.

Our tank is midship, flat deck all the way to the cuddy bulkhead. From this pic, it looks like the fuel tank is way further forward than mine is.

Here’s a cabin picture of that exact boat. You can see they filled the step down in with the fuel tank. The Armstrong brackets are stepped for speed. The factory podded 20’ were (from what I have read) 50mph boats and dropped a considerable amount of weight losing the hardtop and large side windows. I just can’t seem to find any published data other than small clues on other forums

Thanks for the pic!View attachment 66408
I have all the original documents for mine but its a 26...I can have a look if it helps at all next time I'm at the shed.

Our tank is midship, flat deck all the way to the cuddy bulkhead. From this pic, it looks like the fuel tank is way further forward than mine is.
Cool,
Maybe, just maybe there is some generic information possibly.

I seriously appreciate the effort:)

My bracket is identical and was installed at hourston after they removed the omc sea drive.
Interesting genesis of technology and trends,

I would still love to know the maximum passenger, maximum load and max HP the factory decided on for either 20’ boat that may or may not have been on a compliance notice on late model boats. Technically if the boat is over 6m it’s exempt but late model 20’ DE’s had them (from what I have been told)

Nice boat

Back