188 Explorer engine swap opinions/advice

Rednex3

I currently have a Volvo 230b for power and have been entertaining the idea of bumping the power up on this Campion. Boat has the SP drive so I was thinking about the 4.3l. I see lots of 552s with the 4.3 in them and they look to have the identical engine box from what I can see.

I currently cruise at 21-22 knots, but would like to increase that to 25-27 knots. I theorize that the v6 should be able to accomplish this while working less than my motor is currently to achieve 21 knots cruise. Getting up on plane quicker would be way nicer too.

I have my boat setup pretty much perfect for me and my crew so I would rather repower than buy another boat for a little more speed.
Has anybody on here done this, and want to lend your experience?

At this point I'm pretty much weighing pros and cons. Possibly beginning to budget as well. The only real con I can see at this point is that the stern of my boat currently sits kind of low in the water,(waterline is level with the small swim step on the stern) so I'm wondering how much extra weight is involved in going to the v6 as opposed to the current 4cylinder.

comments or advice appreciated

Thanks
Drew

Last edited:
What year is your boat? If your current Volvo is still working ok the upgrade $$ you are thinking about might be better spent towards a newer boat.

See third paragraph: "I have my boat pretty much set up perfect for me and my crew, so I would rather repower than purchase another boat."

To answer your question, the boat is a 1995 model. Motor is still running fine, and I keep it well maintained, but it will eventually need a rebuild, they all do. I have considered a newer, more powerful boat, but realistically it's not going to happen till after our daughter has graduated and well into post secondary education.

Thanks
Drew

Might be a pricey solution if the leg gearing for your 230 is different than the 4.3 legs and you need a new leg.

Back