17' whaler storage options

smp747

Crew Member
I recently bought a 17' whaler that has 3 captains chairs (2 in the back, 1 in the front). There are (2) 12 gallon gas tanks located under the centre console.

I'm looking at storage options and want to put a cooler with a swingback rest at the helm of the boat and was looking at different options for up front.

I thought about putting a utility box or cooler with a seat up front then it got me thinking that I could integrate the seat into a gas tank and utility box combos such the ones you see on pickup trucks, this way it shifts the weight of the gas even more forward and gives me room to put the battery underneath the console instead of at the stern of the boat.

The only downside I could think of is that the vent from the tank would basically be beside where somebody is sitting.

Thoughts?? Is this a good idea?

Also a link for example of the combo box: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/uws-transfer-tank-truck-box-combo-100-gallon-0417277p.html

That might put too much weight forward? Plus will need some renos to stabilize since the floor is not flat just behind the bow locker.
I have a 50(265lb), a 15 (105), 2 batteries, and me (225) in the stern of my tiller 17.
2 twelve gallon tanks midships.
4-6 cannonballs in the bow locker..
Somewhat stern heavy but ok.
Standard on yours is a two person seat at helm with fuel under and a padded cooler in front of helm.
Google image it.

You dont need that much fuel just buy a third tank. They last forever and a light boat doesn't such much fuel compared to a 3000lbs boat I have an 80 gallon tank and ill maybe use 120 liters a day and that includes trolling for 10 hours. I've been to thrasher and back maybe 130 liters. Tank holds like 300 liters.

You dont need that much fuel just buy a third tank. They last forever and a light boat doesn't such much fuel compared to a 3000lbs boat I have an 80 gallon tank and ill maybe use 120 liters a day and that includes trolling for 10 hours. I've been to thrasher and back maybe 130 liters. Tank holds like 300 liters.
The photo was just for example. I would never put a 100gallon tank on my whaler. I was just using it for reference! I was thinking like a 24Gallon tank built into a seat.

I got thinking about it more last night, and I may just keep the tanks where they are, and put a utility box up front and put the battery in that box.
It would be a lot cheaper than having a custom tank built as well.

I fly fish from my boat a lot so the priority is to have a little clutter on board as possible.

Back