17 foot tinner salt water fishing

You can launch at sunset marina or horseshoe bay if you want to fish Howe sound. Pick a nice day and it’s like a lake out there. Waterfall, grace and tunstall are within 15 mins of the launch. Read back on the Vancouver fishing forum and you can get a pretty good idea at what tide “the bite is on”
The islands around Bowen on the tunstall side I imagine provide some decent cover for windy days as well.?

The islands around Bowen on the tunstall side I imagine provide some decent cover for windy days as well.?
Depending which direction the winds are coming from , I find that one of those 3 spots are usually fishable. Pick a nice day and try all 3!
Sunset is by far my favourite launch

Yeah I think

What do you figure is better to start ? Vanier to west van shoreline and cap mouth. Or horseshoe Bay to bowen tip and Tunstall?

Wich one is more beginner friendly u figure?
Beginner friendly, the bell and freighters by far IMO Lots of fish, no real structure, tons of bait everywhere , just drop your lines and giver, good times

Any Joe could feel like a Pro at the bell

i will definently try fishing that bell spot first. little closer to me to launch at vanier coming from surrey as well.
It’s only an extra 15-20 minutes from Vanier to Bowen vs leaving Horseshoe Bay. Saves an extra bridge crossing too.

You may already be very well aware, but it’s also worth noting you’re likely going to lose your fishing privileges over there by March 31. So get out the while you can!

Last edited:
Chinook season closes, and unfortunately Vancouver area gets screwed over worse (IMO) than most other areas. So don’t give up your lake fishing entirely
i havent looked into the openings really for vancouver. i usually only fish salmon in the thompson river and kamloops lake.

there is also coho all summer though no? is chinook not open during the summer months?

Wait until you experience a big tug wake. Those douchebags could only dream of making a surf wake like that! Lol. Even on the calmest day of the year one of those could surprise you if you're not ready for it.
I used to fish the harbour in a 12 ft Lund with a 9.9 before I got a bigger boat. Pick your days and it’s fine. The scariest moments I have had have been from tug wakes. They are steep and can catch you unawares. I have an inflatable life jacket and always have it on in a small boat. Be aware of the tides as the fish move around with them. Some spots are better than others dependant on the tide.

Wait until you experience a big tug wake. Those douchebags could only dream of making a surf wake like that! Lol. Even on the calmest day of the year one of those could surprise you if you're not ready for it.
Agree with the tugs. Those guys seem like they put the hammer down sometimes when they see a guy fishing ahead. Remember to keep an eye out for those mini tsunami waves especially when you are stopped or are playing a fish.

We fished the Comox area in a 16’ aluminum lake boat for a couple years. Watch the weather apps real close. Worst trouble I had was when weather report was wrong and a wind came up. Carry a radio.

Have a current tide book and know what's going on.

One of my dumber mistakes (and the list was/is long) was heading eastbound under the Lion's Gate with a strong outgoing tide and a stiff onshore breeze.

The standing waves were ridiculous and we got bounced around a fair bit.

Lesson learned.

Have a current tide book and know what's going on.

One of my dumber mistakes (and the list was/is long) was heading eastbound under the Lion's Gate with a strong outgoing tide and a stiff onshore breeze.

The standing waves were ridiculous and we got bounced around a fair bit.

Lesson learned.
Been there done that 16.5' boat. It's a little too sporty.

Looking at Sunset Marina's FAQ it seems to be open Feb 16 onwards? Or is that referring only to the slips? Is the launch open year round? Thanks!

If I may, its not just about the size of your boat but rather also the deadrise/angle or how deep the V is and how suitable your boat design is for ocean conditions. That 16ft lifetimer is a well built aluminum boat built in Duncan and designed for ocean conditions.

I had a 16ft double eagle that could handle some bad weather if I went slow but had a deep V hull designed for ocean conditions. I've been on a larger boat that had a shallow hull and open bow rider. It was ok for flat calm days but a bit of waves and it was NOT ideal.

Suggestion if you are new is to try taking it to cates park first (protected in indian arm) and try to go out and run your gear and boat in relative safety of the inlet.
1) Wear a life jacket ALWAYS. ALWAYS while on the water
2) Have a waterproof, floating marine VHF clipped to your life jacket (that you are always wearing)
3) Know where you are in terms of location so that if you need to call for help on VHF 16 you can give them a rough idea of where you are/what you have one etc.

This is coming from me from a perspective of not just being a boater but also a mariner and someone who has had to participate in some search and rescues.

I know I sound like a nagging old man but I honestly just want people to be safe and come home to their loved ones. No need to have a tragedy on the water if one can be prevented.

All the fishing stuff I'll leave to others.... as they like to say in my profession "safety first"

Back