17.2' Hourston Glasscraft...purchased

Dencope

Hey guys, finally pulled the trigger on a boat, 1994 17.2' Hourston Sportsman with a same year 115 HP evinrude.

Basically the boat is in need of some updates but the hull is mint. Just looking for any suggestions on where to spend the money. So far I'm thinking canvas top, needs new aluminum fuel tank (old one leaked), and kicker. The boat is a 1994 hull with a same year 115 evinrude that runs well.

Looking for downriggers, kicker, electronics, and if by chance there is an aluminum fuel tank out there that'll fit the space...I'll probably just have to have one made. Please PM me if you have any items for sale you think I may need.

Also for some reason there was vinyl flooring on top of the deck, don't think it's stock but it may be cause it's really well done. I like the textured deck underneath the vinyl personally. Anyways when the has tank leaked it ruined half of it (glue released)...Looking for advice on how to get the rest of it off or if it may be easier to just re vinyl the damaged part.

Attachments

• 20160617_193203.jpg
    20160617_193203.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 386
  • 20160617_193150.jpg
    20160617_193150.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 383
Hey guys, finally pulled the trigger on a boat, 1994 17.2' Hourston Sportsman with a same year 115 HP evinrude.

Basically the boat is in need of some updates but the hull is mint. Just looking for any suggestions on where to spend the money. So far I'm thinking canvas top, needs new aluminum fuel tank (old one leaked), and kicker. The boat is a 1994 hull with a same year 115 evinrude that runs well.

Looking for downriggers, kicker, electronics, and if by chance there is an aluminum fuel tank out there that'll fit the space...I'll probably just have to have one made. Please PM me if you have any items for sale you think I may need.

Also for some reason there was vinyl flooring on top of the deck, don't think it's stock but it may be cause it's really well done. I like the textured deck underneath the vinyl personally. Anyways when the has tank leaked it ruined half of it (glue released)...Looking for advice on how to get the rest of it off or if it may be easier to just re vinyl the damaged part.
I had the exact same boat and year I sold it couple of years ago mine also had 115 power great hull the first not complaint I had was too much weight aft was a bad thing I had to install trim tabs to level out the ride . Hard to match the hourston quality though

Step 1: track down a proper factory shop manual for your Evinrude outboard.
Step 2: tune the engine according to the manual - clean and sync the carbs, set plug gaps, remove cable backlash, etc. Get it running to factory spec.
Step 3: evaluate the boat thoroughly from end to end. Especially check the condition of steering and engine control cables, replace if they are suspect. Check out all the wiring and grounding.
Step 4: make a plan of all the things that need work, then price them and prioritise them. Don't try to do it all at once or the boat will never be in the water and your bank balance will take a beating.

Edit - change the leg oil and water pump impeller. Those would be included in step 2 but they should be highlighted.

Last edited:
Step 1: track down a proper factory shop manual for your Evinrude outboard.
Step 2: tune the engine according to the manual - clean and sync the carbs, set plug gaps, remove cable backlash, etc. Get it running to factory spec.
Step 3: evaluate the boat thoroughly from end to end. Especially check the condition of steering and engine control cables, replace if they are suspect. Check out all the wiring and grounding.
Step 4: make a plan of all the things that need work, then price them and prioritise them. Don't try to do it all at once or the boat will never be in the water and your bank balance will take a beating.

Edit - change the leg oil and water pump impeller. Those would be included in step 2 but they should be highlighted.
Thnks, all great info. It's all tuned up and running great.

Still looking for VHF radio, trap puller and a gps/sounder unit. Thanks.
Located in Duncan but work in CR so travel up and down island a lot.

I've used the Scotty prawn puller on my buddies boat, it was pretty decent for the price brand new....might not fare so well if you really like to weigh your traps down but others might have more info on it.

Nice boat

As other have posted, the Scotty is a pull assist, you add some heft to it, but not that much. It's more keeping tension on the line than heaving. And you're not bent over the gunwale in an awkward bent over position. I have a native friend that uses one of these for his longline hali setup, that thing pulls up multiple hali without issue. I don't like longline at all and we always insist on rod and reel when we fish with him, but that Scotty puller is a workhorse in a compact package.

I've used the Scotty prawn puller on my buddies boat, it was pretty decent for the price brand new....might not fare so well if you really like to weigh your traps down but others might have more info on it.

Nice boat
Hey thanks for the info, is the Scotty puller able to clear the line from the side of your boat so it's not rubbing all the way up? Any thoughts on those big kahuna pullers...they look like pretty good value.

As other have posted, the Scotty is a pull assist, you add some heft to it, but not that much. It's more keeping tension on the line than heaving. And you're not bent over the gunwale in an awkward bent over position. I have a native friend that uses one of these for his longline hali setup, that thing pulls up multiple hali without issue. I don't like longline at all and we always insist on rod and reel when we fish with him, but that Scotty puller is a workhorse in a compact package.
Thanks for the input...that sure doesn't sound like the "traditional" way to catch hali!

I recently bought a Scotty Puller and have been impressed with it so far.As mentioned before,it assists with the pull
but basically your just putting tension on the capstan to get it to pull with no significant effort.It holds the rope away
from the hull nicely so as not to damage the rub rail or gunnels.I use a mixture of styles of traps and it will pull 2
big commercial style ones with a 10 lb. cannonball for an anchor without popping the breaker,although it is somewhat slower
that when I am just pulling the smaller,lighter recreational style traps.That and its small compact size make it a great
addition to my small 16 ft. Double Eagle.Scotty also has probably the best customer support in the industry and that
influenced my purchase as well.

I recently bought a Scotty Puller and have been impressed with it so far.As mentioned before,it assists with the pull
but basically your just putting tension on the capstan to get it to pull with no significant effort.It holds the rope away
from the hull nicely so as not to damage the rub rail or gunnels.I use a mixture of styles of traps and it will pull 2
big commercial style ones with a 10 lb. cannonball for an anchor without popping the breaker,although it is somewhat slower
that when I am just pulling the smaller,lighter recreational style traps.That and its small compact size make it a great
addition to my small 16 ft. Double Eagle.Scotty also has probably the best customer support in the industry and that
influenced my purchase as well.
Thanks for that, I wasn't even considering the Scotty but I definitely am now!

Back