16 to 18ft Allwelded Aluminum Boats.....Opinions?

Seafever

There are all kinds of boats around here ( Van Isle) in that class for sale.

Such brands as Hewes, North River, Lifetimer, Alumaweld, Silver Streak, Kingfisher etc etc etc etc. and others.

In your opinion, which of these (any brand you can think of that is sold in these parts) is the best bang for the buck in 16 to 18ft length.?
Are hull thicknesses mostly the same?

How about basic hull design? Some better at handling rough waves than others?

There are also custom aluminum boat shops around that will build a boat in that length.

Can you expect to pay way more for a custom built?

Some of these places build generic designs and sell them as "off-the-rack".....but I imagine if you have
some modifications you'd like to make (say, putting in a cuddy etc) they'd do that to one from existing inventory?

Only interested in the 16 to 18ft length right now.

Thanks.....

Seafever,
not sure where you are located but if you go and look at the mass produced over the smaller custom guys you will instantly see the difference. If you have a local boat show in the spring you can usually check out a variety. You really just need to go look and see what your budget will allow.

good luck,
GnB

In the early 2000 most cookie cutter boats used the same bottom and side thickness. Now most of the 16 and some of the 18 have a lighter gauge hull then the bigger boats. The price difference between the production boats vs some local custom boats used to be a pretty big difference with the weak Canadian dollar that has really closed the gap in the price. most of the locally built boats have full welded chines where the production boats will often weld on some extruded aluminum strips. Also the deadrise of most of the local built boats will be steeper in the 16-18 size range

Last edited:
More dead rise is a big factor in handling rough water as shallower dead rise boats slam in the chop. Many of the aluminum boats I have seen have a relatively shallow dead rise, so JAC's comment about local aluminum builds having more dead rise would be very important if I was in the market.

Also, you cannot do compound curves in aluminum, so no bow flare to re-direct spray and green ones away from the bow. We need boat builders around here to start aluminum hydro-forming. I've read this is not unusual in Australia where small aluminum boats have been common for a long time.

More dead rise is a big factor in handling rough water as shallower dead rise boats slam in the chop. Many of the aluminum boats I have seen have a relatively shallow dead rise, so JAC's comment about local aluminum builds having more dead rise would be very important if I was in the market.

Also, you cannot do compound curves in aluminum, so no bow flare to re-direct spray and green ones away from the bow. We need boat builders around here to start aluminum hydro-forming. I've read this is not unusual in Australia where small aluminum boats have been common for a long time.

Your spot on, this has been almost common place within Australia for years now. Sorry but the local guys need to get with it.

I bought a 190 Searunner last year and having been in the more plush options available, I just can't see the value in paying the extra money.

While Brendan at checkpoint is faultless, some of the others there need a little work. A call to Hewes HQ will surprise you in that they never seem too busy to help you out with any problem.

Just my 2 cents

The biggest manufacturer from my understanding is KingFisher, Harbercraft and Jetcraft boats, which were purchased by Washington State's Renaissance Marine Group, maker of the Duckworth, Weldcraft and Northwest brands in 2012. I think Renaissance and Hewescraft make the most boats and have the most production options in the 16-18 foot range, except for Silverstreak.

My brother has a Kingfisher and I have a Hewescraft, both good heavy gauge aluminum boats. I would think both the Hewescraft and Kingfisher should have the most competitive manufactured boats, but custom features are not likely. I chose the heavier Searunner 18 footer and love it, but it may not be as nice a boat, or have as nice a features as a custom Wolf or a Lifetimer. Remember most 16 footers are often rated for 4 people and 18 for 6, where if you are spending time on them the 16 is only good for things like fishing with 2 people and 18 for 3. Eastmon chose a wicked boat with the new 19 foot Searunner, you can likely fish 4 people comfortably and handle any weather on the inside and go offshore in the summer.

I really like the looks but I don't have the pocketbook for a Lifetimer. Silverstreak dealers have some great deals, if you can buy one at the right time of year. Silverstreak also seem to have the most options available for the small boats so if you want custom without spending 50k, I would go to them.

Back