16.5' - 70 VS 90

drpower

What's your opinion, which engine do you get for a 16.5' Double Eagle hardtop? Had a Honda 45 which was sluggish but it did the job. 70 seems like a decent, lighter and less expensive upgrade than a 90 and can probably do without a kicker.

The 90 needs no explanation for power and speed increase over a 70. Lease / camp return price could be incentive enough.

F70 253lbs
F90 353lbs

The f60 and f70 are only about 15 lb difference. Bigger gear case on the f70.
I would go with the 70hp if your budget allows.
Either one will work.
90 might make it stern heavy

I’ve got a 16ft lifetimer and just put the power thrust Honda 60 on it— deeper gearcase and bigger prop than the standard 60, but I think it’s the same ratio as the yamaha 70. Like you, I was considering this 60 vs jumping up to a 90 because was afraid that 60 wouldn’t be sufficient. Happy to report that the 2.33 ratio has made a huge difference and acceleration is scary quick compared to my 50 with a 2.07 ratio. I now think the 90 would have been way too much power and weight for a fishing centric boat and am happy I stayed in the 60/70 class.DC44840A-BA8A-46C9-933F-2F50A210F7CD.jpeg

What's your opinion, which engine do you get for a 16.5' Double Eagle hardtop? Had a Honda 45 which was sluggish but it did the job. 70 seems like a decent, lighter and less expensive upgrade than a 90 and can probably do without a kicker.

The 90 needs no explanation for power and speed increase over a 70. Lease / camp return price could be incentive enough.

F70 253lbs
F90 353lbs
Why would you do with out a kicker even a new outboard can have a problem

I've been trolling on 4 stroke main's without a kicker for 15 years.
I fish inshore waters and have a C-tow membership in the event of a breakdown.
Ctow membership is a good thing but how long before they get to you. Kicker is there when you need it Rough water and currents are not time to be waiting.

Im repowering the same boat with a new F70 this year. Had a 60 before and it was also fine. Hope you have a line on an engine, mines waiting for me but i put a deposit down in feb and there were only 2 to be had on the island that i could find.

Im repowering the same boat with a new F70 this year. Had a 60 before and it was also fine. Hope you have a line on an engine, mines waiting for me but i put a deposit down in feb and there were only 2 to be had on the island that i could find.
Exactly. I found a new F70 $10,530 plus taxes not including controls or dials. First come first serve, I'd like to pull the trigger but she's a lot more $ than I was prepared for right now! Basically the perfect engine for these boats, can't go wrong with any manufacturers 60 also. The Honda 60 came in a bit cheaper with included control and dials. The 90 isn't a good idea, these boats are just too small. Running no kicker is a risk but that's what hali anchors are for.

Exactly. I found a new F70 $10,530 plus taxes not including controls or dials. First come first serve, I'd like to pull the trigger but she's a lot more $ than I was prepared for right now! Basically the perfect engine for these boats, can't go wrong with any manufacturers 60 also. The Honda 60 came in a bit cheaper with included control and dials. The 90 isn't a good idea, these boats are just too small. Running no kicker is a risk but that's what hali anchors are for.
I still run a 9.9 ht on mine and its fine

I to am looking at replacing my original old 50 hp 2 stroke Yamaha on my 198416 ft DE with an F70. I've got a 9.9 4 stroke Yamaha HT on the transom as well and I'm trying to figure out if I've got enough width room on my transom for both a F70 and the 9.9. I 'd rather not use a kicker bracket . I think weight wise I should be alright.

I hope I don't have to use a bracket for the same reason, I don't want to mount a kicker at all actually. I ran a guide boat that trolled off a 90, it steered great and the power made everything easier. I don't troll enough to worry about the added hours on the engine. Let's see a picture of your '84, I think ours is a '64.

Nice looking hard top. I fish solo quite a bit, steering with the kicker tiller and everything is close at hand . I like the kicker on the transom because the boat tracks better than if the kicker was on a bracket off to the side. The tiller handle is also closer and easier to reach. Don't have a lot of room on the transom with a 2 stroke 50 and the 9.9 kicker. I had to fab a bracket to raise the 9.9 to get it out of the way of the steering arm of the main motor. Hopefully I can make it work with an F70. The F70 will take up significantly more room on the transom.IMG_2795.JPG

Prices are not going down and inventory not improving. Don’t wait.

I read the Honda 60 gets within 3mph of the Yamaha 70, who knows how they ran that test. Regardless, I am set on the Honda BF60 when the time is right. BFP60 looks great on your boat!

Back