You guys are probably sick of these posts by now....

Hi all,

My name is Peter and I'm going to be visiting BC (from Maine) in March. The reason: a week-long ski trip with my family in Whistler. But naturally I am a fishing fanatic now obsessing over the potential to catch my first steelhead. Now, I've gone about as far as I can go with online research, and I have a few general questions. I'm not crazy enough to ask for secret spots or anything, so no need to worry. Also I'm strictly C&R.

I decided to reach out for help on this forum because last time I tried fishing in BC, it was in November on the Quinsam River on Vancouver Island. It rained for three days straight, my girlfriend was miserable, I caught absolutely nothing, and (I swear to God) I was charged by a huge female black bear and truly thought I might die. I still consider the trip a success, however. I was just happy being in nature. My girlfriend, however, still won't even talk about the trip even after 3 years have passed.

Anyways, I'll be doing all this solo, and I'm basically trying to plan out the exact best times to be at the best places. I'll be bringing my 8wt fly rod along with my spinning rod. I grew up in WA and have fished for salmon so I know the general techniques, but steelhead are new territory. But I'm confident I can figure out the HOW. It's the WHERE and the WHEN that has me confused.

SO: Our Whistler week is March 16th to 23rd. No fishing this week, as I'll have to go skiing with my brothers (poor me!). Although if anyone has a good day trip idea (Samish? Claukmas) I'm absolutely all ears.

The question is: in the Vedder/Chilliwack, is there a certain time of the month that may yield the best results? I could either fish it the March 13 to 16 for a few days, or I could do an entire week from March 24th to 31st. Or does it not really even matter, and is March just solid all around?

I called various shops and was given various opinions. Some say the earlier the better. So much so that I'm considering canceling my flight on the 13th to come a week earlier.

I considered fishing the Vedder in mid March, and then camping up by the Squamish for the last week of March.

Having never been to any of these places, it's just really hard to picture it. And like I said, I'll be alone so maybe keeping it simple and staying by the Chilliwack might make sense.

Lastly, can anyone link me to an actively updated vedder/chilliwack water flow chart, and maybe tell me what I should look for? Are high flows good? Low flows? Again, all ears.

Sorry for the novel^, and I truly do appreciate any and all advice!

Cheers,

- Peter

Into March the Squamish River fishery (such as it is) is starting to heat up-obviously an easy to drive from Whistler as is the Cheakamus.

The Cheakamus is easier to figure out than the larger Squamish-fish lie where you think they will but on the Squamish they are more likely to be right at your feet or tight against the opposite bank where it's very tough to put a line because of distance.

Both rivers have a little bank walking on offer- I don't recommend wading too much especially on the Squamish which has patches of what we call quicksand-it isn't but it sure is alarming when you start to sink in one.

You're more likely to end up with a Dolly Varden/Bull Trout than a Steelie they really go for flashy things.

Much better than camping in March http://www.sunwolf.net/squamish-cabin-rentals/

Also FWIW-I wouldn't bother with that garbage strewn dump-the CV system is a joke/has been for decades.

Dogbreath,

Extremely helpful response. Unfortunately Sunwolf cabins are under renovation until April 1st. And they are out of my price range anyways (I'm a young guy doing this solo, so trying to go as cheap as possible).

I must admit, it is disappointing to hear your opinion of the Vedder/Chilliwack. I thought it might be a good, safe place to go for someone new to the area. Also obviously with the hatchery, the chances of hooking up seem to be higher. What exactly are your issues with it? Overcrowded I'm sure, but maybe there are some pretty secluded spots upriver? HAving never been to any of these places, it's really hard to get a frame of reference here so that's why I'm relying on you guys haha.

Lots to think about. Luckily no reservations have been made yet.

I guess I need to get out of "salmon mode" thinking. Where I'm from in Washington, you can count on a nice run that lasts maybe a month in earnest. But it sounds like the steelhead season much longer and there's no real "prime time" to be on the river.... basically any time between January and April/May?

Anytime in March on the Chilliwack/Vedder River can be good. This season has more fish around then the last couple of yrs. There are some good spots that the fly fishers frequent from the bank and I have noticed an increase in the fur and feather flingers this yr. The river right now is very low and has been for the last few weeks due to this cold snap we are enduring that never seems to end. Once it warms up and rains and the snow melts the river will rise so I’m betting this coming March will be a very good time to fish the C/V system.

Wiseguy,

Talk about cold snaps - I just moved to Maine, and the last 2 months we've probably had an average high temp of 20 degrees (fareinheit)! It's absurd. Rivers will probably be frozen until late May. That's why I'm looking so much to this trip.

Anyways, your response is encouraging. So basically anytime in March --early or late-- should be solid fishing? I have actually just booked a cheap Airbnb for 3 nights (March 13/14/15) a few blocks from the Vedder bridge. I'm guessing/hoping that this makes for a pretty good home base.

As far as technique, I'm watching a lot of youtube videos. I guess the key is drifting eggs on the spin rod under a float, or swinging flies.

Hi all,

My name is Peter and I'm going to be visiting BC (from Maine) in March. The reason: a week-long ski trip with my family in Whistler. But naturally I am a fishing fanatic now obsessing over the potential to catch my first steelhead. Now, I've gone about as far as I can go with online research, and I have a few general questions. I'm not crazy enough to ask for secret spots or anything, so no need to worry. Also I'm strictly C&R.

I decided to reach out for help on this forum because last time I tried fishing in BC, it was in November on the Quinsam River on Vancouver Island. It rained for three days straight, my girlfriend was miserable, I caught absolutely nothing, and (I swear to God) I was charged by a huge female black bear and truly thought I might die. I still consider the trip a success, however. I was just happy being in nature. My girlfriend, however, still won't even talk about the trip even after 3 years have passed.

Anyways, I'll be doing all this solo, and I'm basically trying to plan out the exact best times to be at the best places. I'll be bringing my 8wt fly rod along with my spinning rod. I grew up in WA and have fished for salmon so I know the general techniques, but steelhead are new territory. But I'm confident I can figure out the HOW. It's the WHERE and the WHEN that has me confused.

SO: Our Whistler week is March 16th to 23rd. No fishing this week, as I'll have to go skiing with my brothers (poor me!). Although if anyone has a good day trip idea (Samish? Claukmas) I'm absolutely all ears.

The question is: in the Vedder/Chilliwack, is there a certain time of the month that may yield the best results? I could either fish it the March 13 to 16 for a few days, or I could do an entire week from March 24th to 31st. Or does it not really even matter, and is March just solid all around?

I called various shops and was given various opinions. Some say the earlier the better. So much so that I'm considering canceling my flight on the 13th to come a week earlier.

I considered fishing the Vedder in mid March, and then camping up by the Squamish for the last week of March.

Having never been to any of these places, it's just really hard to picture it. And like I said, I'll be alone so maybe keeping it simple and staying by the Chilliwack might make sense.

Lastly, can anyone link me to an actively updated vedder/chilliwack water flow chart, and maybe tell me what I should look for? Are high flows good? Low flows? Again, all ears.

Sorry for the novel^, and I truly do appreciate any and all advice!

Cheers,

- Peter
You must have run into one of those fortunate bears that were able to find more calories than they burned and decided to skip hibernation.

You must have run into one of those fortunate bears that were able to find more calories than they burned and decided to skip hibernation.

I really don't know. Over the course of 3 days, I ran in to several. They were feasting on Pink and Coho carcasses. Mostly it was fine. I even got (stupidly) cocky and was just fly fishing 50 feet downstream from a big bear, almost like we were fishing together haha. Thought I was pretty cool.

But the issue was when I turned a corner on a remote trail and surprised a Mother with her 2 cubs. I did some research later, and I think it was a "false charge". But still enough to cause me to absolutely lose my ****.

Wiseguy,

Anyways, your response is encouraging. So basically anytime in March --early or late-- should be solid fishing? I have actually just booked a cheap Airbnb for 3 nights (March 13/14/15) a few blocks from the Vedder bridge. I'm guessing/hoping that this makes for a pretty good home base.

As far as technique, I'm watching a lot of youtube videos. I guess the key is drifting eggs on the spin rod under a float, or swinging flies.
Good move booking close to the C/V river. From the bridge u can go either up or down. We use don’t use spin rods for drifting. We use 10.6 to 11.6 drift rods with either a level wind or center pin reel for drift fishing using a float. You can shoot me a pm when your here and if I’m around I be happy to show u a few spots. I live 10 mins away from the river and fish it almost every day when the conditions are to my liking.

I will absolutely take you up on that, thanks man.

Unfortunately I don't have a a drift rod or a center pin reel.... in fact when I see photos of them, I'd always assumed they were just two handed spey fly rods!

I've got a 9' Okuma "Steelhead Spin" rod with a spinning reel. And I've got an 8wt fly rod. I'll have to find a way to make it work, as I'm not in a position to buy a new setup for this trip haha. I'm totally new to float fishing... to be honest I figured I'd just be stocking up on spinner lures and pulling em through pools. Guess I have lots to learn.

Instead of spinners I would use Gibbs Crocodiles or Luhr Jensen Tom Mack spoons to pull through the pools. They will work and I have seen some anglers using that method to fish the C/V system. You will also need a set of waders and boots and rain jacket.

Last edited:
I suggest booking a guide for your first day, and you'll learn in a few hours what would have taken you weeks. It's expensive, but might be worth it!
Steelies can be frustrating fish to catch.

Wiseguy - I have a pair of Korkers and some wading pants. Will definitely pick up those lures when I'm in town. I'm getting pretty excited. I'll be hitting it super hard for three straight days, and I'll be excited if I can successfully land one steelhead haha.

Sangstercraft - I totally agree with you in theory, I'm just not really in a financial place to do that at this point. I'm thinking I'll save that for a extreme remote fishing trip (Northern BC, Alaska or something).

I would definitely give the Chilliwack/Vedder a go. Just be aware that its busy and there will be people from top to bottom of the river. If your ok with fishing around other people you'll be just fine. I'm from out of town but I travel to the Ved once or twice a season for steelies and always have fun when I go.

Swinging spoons on a spinning set up is definitely a successful method. Have a look for some R&B spoons or Prime Lures spoons from the local shops. They have a profile and weight that keeps them down better for swinging. Buy a good handful as you will lose a few over the course of a day.

During Steelhead season its good etiquette to practice "rotational angling". Basically when you walk in on a run start at the top and work down. If someone else is fishing walk past them and ask if they mind you start at the top and fish down behind them. Don't walk in snipe the tailout, this is known as "low holing" and will net you some unhappy feelings from the other angler.

As Chilliwack is near a major population center, crime is present so make sure to leave nothing in your car of value. I haven't personally had problems with break ins, but the area is known for it. Be sure to be proactive and not leave anything inviting in sight, and definitely don't leave your ID/passport/etc in your vehicle.

Squamish can be busy as well, but not like the Ved. The valley is beautiful country, you will definitely enjoy your time up there! Like previously mentioned, if your solo up there, avoid walking on sand near the water. In some spots the water table is really high and even tho it looks like solid sand its mostly water underneath. If it doesn't look solid, give it a solid probe with a good stick to ensure your footing! Most places this is not an issue tho, so don't worry about it too much. There is tons of water to fish up there, so if your not certain, just move on.

Be friendly and sociable out there and you may even meet some others to fish with. You'll know right away, some will be chatty, some will not lol.

Good luck, you'll have a ton of fun!

I would definitely give the Chilliwack/Vedder a go. Just be aware that its busy and there will be people from top to bottom of the river. If your ok with fishing around other people you'll be just fine. I'm from out of town but I travel to the Ved once or twice a season for steelies and always have fun when I go.

Swinging spoons on a spinning set up is definitely a successful method. Have a look for some R&B spoons or Prime Lures spoons from the local shops. They have a profile and weight that keeps them down better for swinging. Buy a good handful as you will lose a few over the course of a day.

During Steelhead season its good etiquette to practice "rotational angling". Basically when you walk in on a run start at the top and work down. If someone else is fishing walk past them and ask if they mind you start at the top and fish down behind them. Don't walk in snipe the tailout, this is known as "low holing" and will net you some unhappy feelings from the other angler.

As Chilliwack is near a major population center, crime is present so make sure to leave nothing in your car of value. I haven't personally had problems with break ins, but the area is known for it. Be sure to be proactive and not leave anything inviting in sight, and definitely don't leave your ID/passport/etc in your vehicle.

Squamish can be busy as well, but not like the Ved. The valley is beautiful country, you will definitely enjoy your time up there! Like previously mentioned, if your solo up there, avoid walking on sand near the water. In some spots the water table is really high and even tho it looks like solid sand its mostly water underneath. If it doesn't look solid, give it a solid probe with a good stick to ensure your footing! Most places this is not an issue tho, so don't worry about it too much. There is tons of water to fish up there, so if your not certain, just move on.

Be friendly and sociable out there and you may even meet some others to fish with. You'll know right away, some will be chatty, some will not lol.

Good luck, you'll have a ton of fun!

Thanks everyone for the extremely helpful advice! Stocking up lures and flies now. I'm fully prepared for how busy it's going to be, and I'd like to think I practice very good etiquette. Especially as a foreigner in someone elses land, I basically give locals the priority spots. In my experience Canadians are absurdly friendly, so I'd like to think there might be some good camaraderie involved. I've seen combat fishing at its worst and survived it.

I have ONE FINAL question that I truly could use some help with. My circumstances have changed. I get a week of fishing. That week can either be:

March 7th to March 14th OR March 25th to April 1st.

If you guys were in my shoes, which would you book? I gather the river is quite low right now, with not much rain in the forecast? Does that matter? I'm seriously all ears on this one. Honestly, if I get a strong opinion on one direction or another, I will literally book my flights accordingly!

River needs rain that’s for sure as it very low right now. Last yr my best fishing was in April as the bulk of the run was late. Either week is fine just have to hope for rain to bring the river levels up which will make for better fishing conditions. IMO I would pick the later week as the long range forecast is not looking good for rain. Maybe others can chime in here with their opinions. Due to the lack of responses on here as this is more of an Island page you can go to Fishing with Rod forum and post up your question there as it’s more of a C/V page. Whatever you do don’t ask Fred’s because according to them the fishing is always great! Just a way to get more people in the store. Cheers!

Last edited:
https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/real_time_e.html?stn=08MH001

You can keep an eye on this graph to see where the rivers at. You can adjust the date parameters to see what levels have been and get an idea of the range. Its at about 1.345m which is quite low as Wiseguy said. Primo is more like 1.7 - 2.0 and anything over about 2.2 is high and possibly blown. That being said, its not unfishable, just not at all ideal. Theres another station on that site for the Squamish watershed as well, and theres a few stations throughout the system, but just look at the Brackendale graph for a rough gauge.

Normally I would say go now as the fishing has been really good, but like Wiseguy said I too would wait due to the long range forecast being nothing but sun. I don't know how much snow is in the upper Chilliwack area, but sometimes if the freezing level raises high enough, that can bring up the river but I haven't been watching conditions enough up there this year to make that prediction.

That's a tough call. Though neither will be a bad choice as you'll still get to fish, have a good shot at catching, and you'll have a 100% chance at seeing some amazing steelhead green water in Chilliwack and breathtaking landscape and scenery up the Squamish Valley.

River needs rain that’s for sure as it very low right now. Last yr my best fishing was in April as the bulk of the run was late. Either week is fine just have to hope for rain to bring the river levels up which will make for better fishing conditions. IMO I would pick the later week as the long range forecast is not looking good for rain. Maybe others can chime in here with their opinions. Due to the lack of responses on here as this is more of an Island page you can go to Fishing with Rod forum and post up your question there as it’s more of a C/V page. Whatever you do don’t ask Fred’s because according to them the fishing is always great! Just a way to get more people in the store. Cheers!

Sorry for the late responses guys.

Wiseguy.... yeah I'm starting to agree with you on the Fred's thing hahaha. I've finalized my dates - March 24 through 29th. Lets for sure meet up if you're available. I've been obsessively checking the water levels and it seems like they are almost HISTORICALLY low! Rain was forecasted today so lets hope that changes things. We keep getting blasted with huge storms out here in New England, now hopefully it can be your turn lol.

Burban... Thanks for the link. It sounds like I'll have to check out both rivers. Honestly, I'm not optimistic about the catching part.... just seeing the nature will make the whole thing worth it.

Back