Would you purchase a boat from Alaska?

Mighty Sylvan

I was searching for pilothouse boats and found myself on Southwest Alaska craigslist. Do you think buying a boat from the north of us would be any different then buying a boat from Florida or the eastern coast? Are the boats there more expensive because of the remoteness? Has anyone ever bought anything from Alaska?

Thanks JAC. I'm trying to provoke some conversation. You have some boat buying experience eh! Of the dozen or so boats you have bought this year what comes to your mind when buying a boat from Alaska as opposed to Washington or Oregon? Do you think a boats life in Alaska is harder because of the environment or usage. Do you think Alaskan boat owners are using their boats as commuters and other everyday uses? Do you think there are many well taken care of boats in Alaska?

I've purchased 2 from eastern US. I would rather buy there than Alaska simply because the shipping costs will kill you. Not to mention have you ever seen what that Alaska Highway does to cars? Ugly. Maybe if you could find some cheap barge that might be the only way to make it pay.

Good point on the Hwy. My shipping from the east went pretty well but the shrink wrap was destroyed by the hwy speeds with my current boat. Barging cost would be interesting to research.

Pretty good barges out of Seattle .... the Alaska lodges ship boats all the time from there....not sure about costs tho... :)

Throw a line on a cruise ship up there and have them tow ya down to Vancouver in the safety of its prop wash... Wouldn't even have to start up your motor :rolleyes:

Well boats from Alaska are less likely to be full of dry rot like the boats from Florida. The heat and high humidity in Florida shortens the life of any wood used in their construction. Especially transoms and stringers.

You can buy a boat from anywhere as long as it was taken care of.

I think that is generally true. I lived in the Yukon for almost a decade and travelled to many parts of Alaska and can say that generally speaking Yukoners and Alaskans are working and recreating in much more rugged, remote territory and in a tougher climate. Gear and equipment gets used hard, and cosmetics just don't matter. That said, I think they probably maintain their stuff well because breakdowns can put them in bigger difficulty. Most boats I saw up there were rugged but really well used. A generalization for sure, and I'm sure there are exceptions. Southern BC is a much gentler place.

Judging by the boats for sale on-line I think you are right Saxe. I also see a few smaller recreational boats with large commercial looking numbers on the side of them. These boats are likely hard use guide boats.

It all comes down to the dollars. I have looked at a ton of boats from alaska some are really nice. Alaska has a couple really nice high end aluminum builders. Also there are a lot of boats that seem to be a bargain up there but that is mostly do to isolation. If you find you dream boat in good shape and its in your budget pull the trigger. I would say boats in alaska should have low hour for the year because of no boating in the winter. Also you can put a boat on a barge from alaska to seattle for less then you can truck a boat from Florida to seattle.

Great post JAC.

To answer the OP, yes I would definately buy a boat from Alaska. If the deal was right and it was aluminum:D

I would by an Alaskan boat and I know a few guys who have purchased boats from there. The season is shorter so less hours on the boat in most cases. Shipping south is cheaper because most trucks are running empty on the return trip. As far as the conditions go its no different than down south, the waters the water. If you do your due diligence you can get a good boat and the alaska highway is in great shape. Good luck

I didn't know about sdboats. I was just in San Diego a couple of weeks ago and noticed lots of Parkers. I will check out Skipjack too.
Thanks

I lived in Alaska for 5 years and here's my editorial opinion (worth .02 cents)

Most parts of Alaska are considered "remote" locations--- parts are expensive, service sector is expensive, everything is expensive. So as you get away from the more populated areas such as Anchorage and Homer and Southeast Alaska (Juneau, Sitka, Petersburg etc) the remoteness increases in leaps and bounds

In my experience, equipment gets ridden hard and put away wet up there---yes they have a shorter boating season but equipment is not babied or given the type of velvet glove maintenance we might do if we're in more populated (service-served) locations

I am NOT making an across the board written in blood condemnation of how Alaskans treat their boats but generally speaking, each hour of run time placed on equipment up there might be considered 90 minutes of run time in your neighborhood..... again, not trying to make a gross generalization here ----just summarizing casual observations I've made in MANY fishing ports I've been to up there

So.... unless you found the steal of all steals, or a boat that just can't be found or duplicated anywhere else, I think you'll have way more success sourcing a boat in better used condition from the Lower 48 (Wa./Or./ Cali) or East Coast (for big Grady's etc)

I walked the docks in Sitka last April---I saw LOTS of boats at the dock (16 - 22 feet) that were FULL of water (gas tanks and odds and ends floating around in 2 feet of bilge water etc). Many in a state of general disrepair. Owners off somewhere busy at being Alaskans....or whatever.

The boats that were the spiffiest---Guide boats, because those were the BREAD AND BUTTER BOATS (and of course, the ones with major hours)

I've heard of people getting screaming deals down in California. When I was looking for my Arima, the boats in California were usually $ 5,000 - 8,000 cheaper down there.

I purchased up here because I didn't want to do the trailer routine

To save $ 10,000 - 15,000? You bet I'd do the trailer routine!

Caveat Emptor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my boat from Baltimore and a (new) trailer for in Florida. I used Cory at Sharp Yacht Transport to deliver it. He took some Ranger Tugs from the factory here to a dealer in Florida, picked up my trailer in FL and put it on the roof rack on his truck, drove to Baltimore and put my boat on his trailer, drove to near Seattle and had my boat place back on my trailer (which saw zero miles of use at this point in time) and delivered my boat on my trailer to my house near Seattle. Total cost for the delivery services was around $5k U.S. I don't know if he makes deliveries into Canada but I would bet he does. He drives all over delivering boats for Ranger Tugs, C-Dory and private owners and if you're flexible with delivery schedule, he can probably fit a run from California to BC (or at least northern WA) in to some other run. Anyway, he's a good guy, licensed, bonded, insured etc., knowledgeable and the price is good.

Back