Who's going to the Quennell Lake Bass Derby

fishhawk8

Anybody here doing the fathers day derby at Quennell Lake this year?

Yote? I did a little search on last years and it appears that you stayed up there on the Saturday night. Is that your plan again this year? I have a campsite booked, maybe we can hook up for a cold one Saturday night.

George

George, it is with great sadness that my wife had booked a trip to San Fran. this weekend and she didn't understand when I asked if I could stay back. I have to miss it this year but will be back next year. I have some standing reservations for sites there and my buddies will be in them.

Good luck to you.

Yote

Gotta get your priorities straight. It's fathers day not mothers day. You should stay home and fish!!

Have fun in San Fran and keep a tight grip on the soap in the shower down there. LOL!!

Tips

Thanks Yote, So you've given up bass fishing to do a gay retreat???;)[:0][:X]:DNot that there's anything wrong with that. Just not my idea of "Rod-in-hand"lol. Anyone I might know from the forum or work, camping out. Oh and feel free to mail me your favorite bait selection for the lake too.[8D]

George

You're gonna have your work cut out for you. The lake (as well as Shawnigan) have been pounded of late by everybody. Prefishing and pounding are 2 different things IMO.
Fishhawk do you know the lake pretty good? Do you know any humps off the banks at Quennell? Since I'm not going, email me if you want.

Eric - mail sent

RVP - look forward to seeing you out there and thanks for contributing.

George

quote:Originally posted by fishhawk8

Eric - mail sent

RVP - look forward to seeing you out there and thanks for contributing.

George

Hey fishhawk8 - sad for me as i will miss the whole show, as I will be working my azz off during our annual Father's Day sale that starts this friday, saturday and sunday...Dirtdog will be in our boat manning the official wiegh in station, along with Brian from the Nanaimo fish hatchery.

We're really excited about the whole thing - we find it really cool that we were invited to participate as part of the team. Just because you all showed me some good ideas, we are now going to dedicate 16 feet of retail wall space just to Island Bass fishing. What a great opportunity for everyone...I am starting the new wall this month - ideas, and feedback are very welcome. Thanks all! [8D]:):D;)

anybody got any more info on this bass gig does a guy need a boat?? time? cost?

Hi Darmin,

Cost is $26 per rod. The derby runs from 9:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m. on Sunday. A boat would be pretty much required as there is very little public access to shorlines. Lots of fun and you'll see every kind of water craft out there from canoes to ski boats.

George

Hi Eric,

Lots of fun actually. We didn't do too well though, lots of smaller fish but couldn't find one that would put us close to competing. My buddy did pick one up about 5 lbs on Saturday night though. The algae was a lot thicker than last year and after talking with a few guys it appeared to be a couple of weeks early this year. we worked it fairly hard and threw just about everything in the box at them from top water stuff to jigs and rubber. Wasn't a total loss though as we learned a few more bits of info about the lake over the course of the week. The derby itself was a sell out this year and the boats on the water had a lot more power attached to them than last years derby. All in all though, a good time and we'll be back next year. I also found out that the Legion in Shawnigan was holding a trout / bass derby on the Saturday so next year we just may do both and see what happens.

Wouldn't mind getting out with you some day if you're ever looking for someone to fish with. I could definately use a little instruction on the presentation of jigs and rubber stuff as this was a first time for me (I'm usually a top water guy for bass) and I wasn't even sure whether I was fishing this right or not, lol. I could make Shawnigan or any of the Victoria lakes for an evening after work easily and pretty much anywhere else on a weekend day.

PS. Saw your phot essay on a website last week too, interesting site with some good info.

George

I'm glad to hear that all went well.
Going out for a day would be great! We'll chat later when I get some time. Do you have a boat? Mine's only a 14 footer with a 20hp. Sure it's fine but the leaks are embarrassing for a first impression.
Or until I get the boat decked......
Where are you? Duncan?

Hi Eric,

I also have an embarrassingly leaky tub:D and it's a 12 footer, no power (other than electric which I don't use very often). I'm located in Langford down in Victoria, so Shawnigan's maybe 20-25 minutes away. Just fire me an e-mail when you get some time and look at our alternatives.

Back