JDF Derby 2016- who's fishin?

Hope to meet a few of you that I don't know yet at the banquet.

Still time to get a ticket for this Derby. Let's get that side bet up! I need a new motor! LOL

Tips

Oh... and if your not in... you must release any net pen fish you catch in the future.
These are for Derby goers only ; )

Tips, you live dangerously like myself. I joked that because there has been more support coming from the whale watching industry (businesses) so far for the net pen project that the sure way to get some of the local guides (businesses) to contribute would be to mark the fish in such a way that only those who contribute get to keep them. It went around that I spoke as if that is really what I wanted to do!!!!

I thought I would post a few pictures here from this years tournament for those of you who didn't fish it this year.

Saturday was a perfect flat calm day and the Sunday it was blowing a gale right from daybreak and many never got out. This was shot taken by our tournament photographer who's ride turned around so he headed to Otter Point and shot yours truly from the rocks. He called me on my cell to tell me he was there watching me...I was playing a fish at the time and I think this was shot as I was powering back up the spot after landing the fish.

This is a shot taken of the crowd at the banquet at the new Songhee's Wellness Centre.

Our Junior Winner Teegan Harding and his 13 Pound Spring

Teegan with his Brodie Tact Bike Courtesy of marty's Mountain Bikes and Prancing Horse Autobody

Teegan With The Junior Trophy

Our ladies champion Jean Kennedy who caught a 21.8 pound Chinook.

Jean won a $1000 value complete fly fishing package courtesy of Peetz Outdoors

More to come tomorrow.

Our Sooke Food Bank draw prize winner of a Bradley Smoker. Won by simply donating some of your catch to the Sooke Food Bank.

Our #1 Fish Draw Prize winner, won by simply registering a fish over 5 pounds. Brian Starling won a 9.9 Yamaha High Thrust 4 stroke outboard valued at $3200.00 donated by SG Power Products and Yamaha, for his 10.8 pound Chinook.

Our winner for the largest hatchery Chinook was Al Teng for his 20.8 pound hatchery Chinook. Al won a 9.9 Yamaha High Thrust 4 stroke outboard valued at $4,150.00 donated by Sherwood Marine Centre and Yamaha.

The largest halibut went 51.3 pounds and was caught by Gerrit Schoeman. Gerrit won a Shockwave seat donated by Shockwave

Our exact weight accumulator jackpot had built over 3 years to $8,240.00 and this year Garth Wright hit the target weight of 21.6 pounds and took home the cash!

Our 2016 Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament Winner Brian Crossley and his 28.7 pound winning fish.

Brian with his fishing partner Vince Smith being presented the $20,000.00 1st place prize. Brian also won a Stormtech all weather pant and jacket set worth $1,000.00 that will be be customized with tournament embroidery and his name as our 2016 champion.

Our 2nd place winner Alan Woodrow and his 15 HP mercury Pro Kicker donated by Alpine Marine Centre and Mercury. Alan's fish went 28.2 pounds and was the 1st day leader.

It's sad when I look at these. These all used to be events a looked forward 2.

When we also stopped annual Consultants derby I expected that another event would take it's place, or at least continue. I hope someone will organize something next year.

Derbies don't work if you can't sell enough tickets if even breaking even is a stressful endeavor. Organizers usually want a fairly sizable salmon enhancement contribution once the dust settles to make their time and effort worthwhile.

Derbies don't work if you can't sell enough tickets if even breaking even is a stressful endeavor. Organizers usually want a fairly sizable salmon enhancement contribution once the dust settles to make their time and effort worthwhile.
- And it is hard to sell tickets and run a Derby with all the sport fishing restrictions of the last few years, especially the Chinook size restriction. That means all the money that the sport sector use to raise from these fund raisers is no longer going into habitat restoration, conservation and enhancement. Then there is Covid. Perhaps Ottawa and the Enviro. Groups will pick up the slack. Oh sorry, must have had a mini stroke there for a second.

I agree, but it isn't always about enhancement only. I am just thinking we may need to look at different derby formats in future. The days of big cash prize derbies look like they are just done with things way they are.

I always liked our format. It wasn't about huge grand prizes, but everyone got tired of doing it. I just think it sad how there are no events anymore down there.

COVID probably will be a barrier this year, so this summer wouldn't really happen. Although port alberni went to COVID format and still did it.

My son and I fished the derby for 12 years. We headed over from Langley and made it a extra long weekend every year. Had a lot of fun , Met a lot of great people at the dinner.

Attachments

• 36264795-919B-4FB0-A46F-7BE34BC77CEF.jpeg
    36264795-919B-4FB0-A46F-7BE34BC77CEF.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 31
I don't know how George did it for 25 years or more....it was such a big event....you almost have to start start planning the next one...the day after the derby is over.

Back