White vs. Red

I'm thinkin in Sept and Oct , if I'm fishing S Arm and I get into the 25+ , there Harrisons so its gonna be a catch and release from now on
I wouldn’t release a clean white Chinook, esp. with the restrictions that we’re getting . Just put them on the smoker and they make great smoked meat for all sorts of snacks in the winter.

Ill take any whites off your hands as i personally love them smoked BBQ , i dont can fish as personally anything you "cook " for a hour and a half especially fish gross.. we just haul out a extra filet and cook it if we want sandwich meat poach it in white wine and lemon and herbs done next day add mayo and green onion tastes way better

I have no idea about canning or smoking. But in my experience a winter white is indistinguishable from a winter red if you close your eyes. The whites we catch here in Vancouver in August / September are a different story. But this is because they are all Harrison fish (Cap hatchery uses Harrison stock) that are about to enter the river for a very short swim, spawn, and die. I find these fish actually have a low fat content - they have burned up all their excess energy and are getting ready to die. The Thompson reds we catch in August / September still have enough stored fat to swim to Kamloops. That’s why they taste better. I’m sure if you caught a red in the Thompson a week before it was going to expire it would taste similar to a Harrison white.

I read somewhere a while back that the only difference between red and white salmon is a genetic switch that does or does not expel a red pigment found in some of the protein they consume during their life. In the reds the DNA switch is off in whites it is on. Red meat salmon are red for the same reason that flamingos are pink.

Nothing wrong with white chinook if getting caught in the salt. Great if you smoke them of course but I happened to take a frozen white filet out of the freezer, removed the skin, and caught it in small pieces. Deep-fried them like fish and chips, tuned out to taste absolutely fantastic almost like halibut.

I will eat the whites all day long. Red, marbled, white... I don't care. I like them all. I have this one friend, when she comes to visit, I always send her home with some fish. She always asks if I have any white chinook, she MUCH prefers it. When I get one, I always vacuum seal a few packs for her and put them aside, she consumes it very quickly.

I've caught the big Harrison ones in September around Victoria and I don't notice all the hullaballoo that everyone is on about them stinking and tasting ******. I grew up in a house of Scottish cooking, which was bland and awful. Perhaps my palate is not as refined as others who grew up with a finer class of cuisine. lol

Whites or marble are like gold when smoked to perfection, lots of oils to stay moist, it's like biting into a piece of smoked cod, all whites
get smoked from fresh or with in a month of being caught to lock in it's freshness, every year i look forward to landing whites and most of
the time they’re reds it's weird when you want them you can't get them...

Alder peppered marble and red, put it on the table and i've watched in the past of what everyone goes for and it's the white, testing it out
without saying anything
20AF5155-A248-494D-9FF6-51BCC63D1B5B.JPG

Back