West Coast Fishing Lodge on Esperenza Inlet for Sale!

cohochinook

Rodgers Fishing Lodge is located about 90 miles due west of Campbell River in Esperanza Inlet. Rodgers is one of the busiest fishing lodges on the B.C. coast, entertaining over 1000 guests a year. They also enjoy one of the longest seasons on the coast, operating 19 weeks in 2013. This will be their 31st year in the Sportsfishing business and their 20th year in Esperanza Inlet.

Rodgers has shown a remarkable rate of growth over the past 3 years due mainly to an aggressive, innovative and successful marketing programme. Their gross revenue has more than doubled since 2010 and 2014 looks to be another banner year with over 550 guests already booked. The Lodge has a location second to none as it is ideally situated to take advantage of some of the most outstanding fishing opportunities on the BC coast. The owners love the business and wish that they were 30 years younger. However, they feel that it is now time to turn the reins over to someone who shares the same passion for the outdoors and who is looking for a wonderful rewarding lifestyle.

This past spring and summer, there were Black Bear on the beaches near the Lodge every day. Bald Eagles are regularly seen by the lodge. They have the largest colonies of Sea Otters on the coast and the Gray, Orca and Humpback Whales pass by on their way to and from the Bering Sea.

The addition of Tuna fishing this year will add a new dimension to the business and add solid business to the months of August and September. The Tuna fishery is going to be a huge recreational fishery in the future for West Coast fishing lodges and Rodgers fishing Lodge is perfectly positioned to take advantage of it. Historically the Tuna in their migration pattern will follow the warm water temperatures that occur along the Continental Shelf. In Rodgers Fishing Lodge’s location the Continental Shelf is just 12 to 15 miles offshore as opposed to 50 miles offshore for places like Tofino and Bamfield.

Asking price $1,199,000-Contact Dave Brown at Whistler Real Estate for more information at 1-800-667-2993 ext 805 or 604-905-2805. Click here to view photos and listing details http://matrix.buywhistler.com/DE.asp?k=13896XXXLF&p=DE-1211152-378

Attachments

• aerial shot of the Rodgers Lodge.jpg
    aerial shot of the Rodgers Lodge.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,555
  • Rodgers Lodge Orcas swimming past.jpg
    Rodgers Lodge Orcas swimming past.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,561
  • dinner on the dock.jpg
    dinner on the dock.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,608
Last edited by a moderator:
I know that the Halibut Quota topic has been quite a concern for several forum members. I did speak to Doug Rodgers the owner of Rodgers Lodge about whether his operation bought any Halibut Quota.

He said "In the Spring of 2013 we were contemplating buying some commercial Halibut quota because it looked like the changes in the Halibut regulations for the 2013 season were going to force fishing lodges like ourselves, to by some quota in order to stay competitive. We also stated at that time, that we would access the situation once the season got started and once we had a chance to see how our customers felt about the new halibut regulations. Once the season got started it quickly became clear that the new halibut regulations were a none issue and it was decided that it would not be necessary for us to buy any halibut quota. Therefore, we did not buy any halibut quota for the 2013 season and we have no intention to buy any for the 2014 season."

Hope this clears the air on this topic. I am here to help if anyone wants to learn more about the potentially purchasing Rodgers Fishing Lodge.

Not true, they promoted the new quota system and purchased the quote to try and get a leg up on the good lodges that refused to play ball

Attachments

• rodgers-newsletter.jpg
    rodgers-newsletter.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,261
So how long do you guys keep flogging a dead carcass?

stickfigure_beating_dead_horse.jpg

If/when the place is sold will you keep criticising the new owners for something they can't change/post ***** little lectures just to make yourselves feel righteous?

I know that the Halibut Quota topic has been quite a concern for several forum members. I did speak to Doug Rodgers the owner of Rodgers Lodge about whether his operation bought any Halibut Quota.

He said "In the Spring of 2013 we were contemplating buying some commercial Halibut quota because it looked like the changes in the Halibut regulations for the 2013 season were going to force fishing lodges like ourselves, to by some quota in order to stay competitive. We also stated at that time, that we would access the situation once the season got started and once we had a chance to see how our customers felt about the new halibut regulations. Once the season got started it quickly became clear that the new halibut regulations were a none issue and it was decided that it would not be necessary for us to buy any halibut quota. Therefore, we did not buy any halibut quota for the 2013 season and we have no intention to buy any for the 2014 season."

Hope this clears the air on this topic. I am here to help if anyone wants to learn more about the potentially purchasing Rodgers Fishing Lodge.

What does it mean that the new halibut regulations were a non issue?

It probably means a couple of things...number one is that most if not all customers weren't interested in paying $5 or more per pound for sport caught halibut. You've paid $2000-$3000 to go fishing now it could cost another $750 to keep a 150 pound halibut. With those conditions people were quite happy with a halibut up to 60 pounds that didn't cost them extra. No one these days is spending money they don't have to!!!

Good luck with the sale :).

Thanks Sculpin! It's amazing place to fish out of. I have been going over to Rodgers for last 6 years and had some incredible fishing. I am booked again to go this year! Really hoping to try the Tuna fishing program that they're putting together. The Lodge location gives them the closest proximity to Tuna on the westcoast of Vancouver Island. They're going to be running guided Tuna trips for the month of August and September and offering combo Salmon and Tuna fishing packages.

What does it mean that the new halibut regulations were a non issue?
"it means" they could start earlier and extend their season...this would give the guests some halibut to take home with their fall Coho.
need I remind you... we don't offload metric tons of our halibut quota...:(

Hopefully the New owners will realize the black eye that halibut Quota purchasing has given this place..It is without a doubt an Amazing location for sportfishing.:cool:

It is different for Rodgers because of the fact they have a lot of do it yourself options. However, for most lodges and charters on coast I think it is safe to say getting quota would not affect their business negatively as most of the customer base is uninformed on the issues. And I'd say 1/6 of our guests would probably be willing to pay the extra amount for larger fish should they land them, so it may be larger for those who go to more expensive places as they have the money to burn?

Not true, they promoted the new quota system and purchased the quota to try and get a leg up on the good lodges that refused to play ball

The Rogers info you have posted and highlighted doesn't prove that what Doug Rogers told cohochinook later was untrue.

The written flyer you highlighted looks like it was written prior to the start of the season and explains that the lodge had decided to purchase quota ....but doesn't mean they actually had purchased quota. Doug Rogers' quote above (from Cohochinook) reads " In the Spring of 2013 we were contemplating buying some commercial Halibut quota " but then says once the season started they decided against purchasing quota. " Decided to" or "contemplating to " not a huge difference especially if , in the end the final decsion was to not buy quota.

Yes, they shouldn't have published they would have quota available, when they still had time to make a final decision. A marketing angle of course.....blah blah blah. In the end they appparently made the smarter choice. Thanks to their customers for obviously steering how that decision went !

GOOD LUCK with the sale Dave!

Marketing has to go out well in advance of the season for it to have any benefit. So yes it is very possible they decided to put that out to entice a response before the season. I'm sure the negative responses from the likes of us outnumbered the positive and ultimately they did the right thing, end of story. Good luck with the sale and whatever the future brings.

Back