Welded Aluminum vs Rivetted Aluminum Hulls?

Drewski Canuck

I have been looking at both, and in the context of Salt Water, it seems that most of the reputable builders go with a welded hull.

It seems that many of the riveted hulls are nowhere near as heavy aluminum, which may explain the reason for rivets, but I am seeing lifetime no leak warranties, with salt water use approved, which I do not see in some of the welded hulls.

When the hulls are welded, it is clear that heavier gauges have to be used simply for the brittle nature of aluminum welds.

What are advantages and disadvantages of each? Anyone with any expertise who can help me out?

Drewski

My thoughts. Riveted hulls are ok in boats under 18 ft. They are never as durable or leak proof as a welded hull by virtue of their very design and construction method. Riveted hulls are lighter so better in small boats. Larger 20ft plus boats require more strength (more weight and horsepower, etc.) so welded is a better way to go.

I looked for a very long time for a used 14 foot welded aluminum. I was unable to find one that was decent. I bought a 15 year old lightly used in great shape, riveted Lund with some reservations. 8 years in it and about 30 - 50 launches per year, it doesn't leak one drop. But I only trailer about 2 Km's to the launch and back, no bouncing and pounding on a trailer on gravel roads which I have seen make riveted boats leak.

Welds will eventually crack if pounded enough. Rivets will eventually fail and leak. They will both need to be repaired at some point, but most recreational users will probably never get to that.

I prefer, and have a welded aluminum boat however i had a 19 foot riveted one for many years and had no issues with leaking. I asked the same questions before i bought my riveted boat and i remember someone reminding me that they have been riveting jets and planes together for a long time and i still fly on them. As i said before, i prefer welded and like the above posts say they will both eventually fail.

My thoughts. Riveted hulls are ok in boats under 18 ft. They are never as durable or leak proof as a welded hull by virtue of their very design and construction method. Riveted hulls are lighter so better in small boats. Larger 20ft plus boats require more strength (more weight and horsepower, etc.) so welded is a better way to go.
x2. Often - welded aluminum boats are made of thicker aluminum. As far as seaworthiness - if depends upon the designer/builder - as well as the quality of the welds and strengthing. Often riveted ones are made on a proven and successful design and can have better lines and seaworthiness than welded ones. Often for either construction - you are paying a premium for name brand for some boats. Often the riveted ones are built for a more inland, freshwater lake-type usage - with a decrease in freeboard - so keep an eye out for that - especially if you plan on ocean-fishing For properly built aluminum boats - I wouldn't necessarily say one is better than the other.

The whole attraction for a welded hull is impact resistance.

My thinking is that a heavier gauge should withstand impacts better.

I have only seen one bad hit on a deadhead, and it did split a line of rivets on a Lund, about 6 inches long in the bow. Lunds are supposed to be double plated in the bow, but I did not see a double plate at the seam.

The guy was doing 47 mph in a chop, and we did not realize he hit, as it seemed we just pulled away from him. The boat filled but the guy was able to get back to the marina about an hour later.

We were in a fiberglass hull travelling about 100 yards to the side of the Lund when he hit. The next day we saw a deadhead in flat calm conditions in the same channel. It was easily 2 + feet across, and would have shredded a fiberglass hull.

Don't know if an impact at high speed would have split a welded seam on an aluminum boat.

That really is the reason for thinking aluminum welded.

Drewski

Back