Welded Aluminum Purchase

Bradly

First time poster, long time lurker here. I’m currently in the market for a 18’+ welded aluminum with a budget of $55k. Deciding whether to get into a new Kingfisher 1825 (115hp), Hewes 18, bare bones silver streak 18’ soft top (90hp) , or a 2015 20’ River Hawk(150hp low hrs, full transom). I could get the River Hawk for $50kish but have heard questionable reviews of RH in general. Just wanted to get some feedback to help with my decision. I would be getting more boat with the used RH but just a little worried about the quality. Any guidance would be appreciated.

If I were in your shoes I'd buy the Silver Streak and add/upgrade equipment & electronics over time. The Silver Streak is a superior boat and will hold its value well. I think for most usage the 90hp will be adequate.

I wouldn't touch the RH, personally.

If I were in your shoes I'd buy the Silver Streak and add/upgrade equipment & electronics over time. The Silver Streak is a superior boat and will hold its value well. I think for most usage the 90hp will be adequate.

I wouldn't touch the RH, personally.

Thanks, I’m thinking the same, resale is definitely an important factor.

There have been a few RH boats discussed on here that have sunk, including one belonging to @Waterwolf2230 You occasionally see ads for RH boats on CL that even mention sinking. It seems that this is due to cracked welds and the bilge pump & battery become depleted.

avoid river hawk like the plague. i currently have a kingfisher 1825 with 115HP because silver streak didnt want to do a deal, the silver streak was a heavier boat without finishing and it could only carry 4 passengers vs the kingfishers 6 passenger capacity.if i had to do over i would go the hewes route with the 190 ht which does 7 passengers and has a slightly thicker bottom than the silverstreak. also priced at $60k ish.

Just get the SS. Bells and whistles are nice to start and eventually everything can be upgraded/added/swapped, but the hull stays the same.

avoid river hawk like the plague. i currently have a kingfisher 1825 with 115HP because silver streak didnt want to do a deal, the silver streak was a heavier boat without finishing and it could only carry 4 passengers vs the kingfishers 6 passenger capacity.if i had to do over i would go the hewes route with the 190 ht which does 7 passengers and has a slightly thicker bottom than the silverstreak. also priced at $60k ish.

Just spent close to a month going through all these boats and analyzing builds and features. Not sure where you get that Hewescraft runs a heavier bottom than the SS as the Hewescraft run a 0.19 hull bottom I believe SS runs a .25 as does the Kingfisher I just purchased. Not saying the hewes is a bad boat by any means I think they make a fine hull, but the fit and finish on them leaves a lot to be desired. I also found SS not willing to even want to discuss a build. I emailed them twice asking for build prices and got no response from them what so ever so I moved on. Resale wise Kingfisher is holding their own against all of them the last few years. Kingfisher has come a long ways the last few years they are not the same boat they were in the early 2000’s.

Just spent close to a month going through all these boats and analyzing builds and features. Not sure where you get that Hewescraft runs a heavier bottom than the SS as the Hewescraft run a 0.19 hull bottom I believe SS runs a .25 as does the Kingfisher I just purchased.

From their website :
https://www.silverstreakboats.com/boats/18-carmanah-hard-top/
Bottom Plate: 3/16" 5086

Side Plate: 1/8" 5052

3/16" is 0.1875"

Silverstreak has dropped what it used to be (finished all welded 1/4" plate hull) to respond to market realities (people buy cheaper boats) and basically dropped their raw material costs by skimping on the metal used.
if you think the hewes has a worse fit and finish go see the silverstreak caramanah and be surprised at the large gaping holes in the front. lol.

I've heard numerous good reports of buying through Inlet Marine. My co-worker actually has a new Silver Streak on order through L.A. Marine in Port Alberni. He's getting stoked!
I’m told the owner of SS ya lacking in Social skills so they run all the sales through dealerships. SG Power in Victoria. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Inlet Marine.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing. There was an entertaining thread on here from a few years ago. Seemed like a member lacking social skills tried to buy a boat from SS directly and it didn't go well.
I priced one at SG Power a couple years back and the sales said it worked much better going through them.

Also do you want to pay 60+k for a boat with a wood floor covered in vinyl decking?

I paid less for my SS compared to a boat show Hewes of the same size, I was able to go through Inlet and ordered mine with the specs I wanted. It was a 4 month wait but well worth it.

Zurk, we have talked about this before. The Carmanah is finished but the Race Rocks was built as the cheapest model and you can see this, just check out the website pics. If you want to compare fit and finish ---- compare SIMILAR boats...

Hewes Searunner vs SS challenger --- laughable difference mainly based on 80k for a wood floor.

The falcon didn't make the list, we are comparing ocean boats.

I just got back from Bamfield and saw one 20' Hewes and about a dozen SS (not talking offshore boats). There is a reason for this.

Another thing to consider is paint. I have drilled about a couple dozen holes in mine for such things as antenna mounts, cannon ball holders, cup holders brackets, rod holders and so on. I have zero worries with the holes but when you drill through a painted surface on a kingfisher you are asking for major headaches in a year or two when the paint starts to bubble as the exposed aluminum starts to oxide.

I strongly suggest going the SS route, talk to Chris at Inlet and ask him if we can send you a build sheet. You can pick and choose what you want (with known prices) and once you have a deposit down you are 'in line' for the build.

Last edited:
I have zero worries with the holes but when you drill through a painted surface on a kingfisher you are asking for major headaches in a year or two when the paint starts to bubble as the exposed aluminum starts to oxide.

Nope, no corrosion or bubbles when you do it right.

50168408727_ba99650a75_z.jpg

Most marine shops will carry it, I bought mine a while back from my local shop.
The active ingredient is PTFE anything over 20% is good. The big issue arises from introducing two different metals like we do when we put a stainless screw into aluminum. PTFE will prevent the reaction from occurring.
Another one is Jet Lube TF-15 which has 20% PTFE and has aluminium as an active ingredient in the compound. The jet lube was actually designed for the oil industry to use as thread compound for use in salt water applications and Hydrogen Sulphide gas.
It’s a very good lubricant as well and you can generally get away with a smaller than usual pilot hole which is good for getting a better bite with any screw you may want to use. It really lubes the screw well and helps it bite in better without galling.

Back