Trudeau issues mandate to close BC netpen salmon farms by 2025

I think they need the fish in the pens for 18 months while they grow. So hopefully they will stop putting Atlantic smolts in the pens by 2023.
But yes, I agree that it is much too long. I don't know how much more of a pounding our wild fish can take from this industry.

I’ve never heard of seafoodsource? It reads as a very pro farm article which hints to me of another seawest type scenario. The big question is who finds this publication?

Of course the FF industry will scream and cry. The reality is the writing has been on the wall for quite a few years. Instead of being a leader in CC they fought and invested tons of money into trying to stay status quo, even though the industry all around the world was adapting. Now they are way behind and are upset....I don’t really feel sorry for them. Not one bit.

Just came out of a meeting where the discussion was on how First Nations are supporting the FF industry and the possible retraction of that campaign promise. Surprise Surprise.

I am not getting excited, rec fishermen will be extinct shortly after. Whos going to keep their boats and gear to maybe catch a dogfish or greenling in the last tiny areas of coast that are not FN or no fishing areas?

HM

Most don't want it - but so far - DFO listens only to those whom have FFing in their territory and ignores potential & realized infringements to FN resources to adjacent FN resources. They use the tenure system rather than admit fish swim and water flows - along w the disease and parasite vectors.

There are ~200FN in BC - likely ~1/2 of those are "on the Coast". Pretty much every non-coastal FN are adamantly opposed to open net-pen aquaculture - as are most coastal FNs. Of those whom have open net-cages approved in their territories - likely fewer than 15 or so - and even within those communities - there is still lots of opposition. The only ones that really benefit are those with processing plants in their communities - like Klemtu.

And the Musgamagw-Tsawataineuk Tribal Council, the Heiltsuk Nation, and the Union of BC Indian Chiefs, maintain a zero-tolerance policy towards salmon farming. and they kicked the farms out of 'Namgis, Kwikwasut'inuxw Haxwa'mis, and Mamalilikulla First Nations territories:
https://www.straight.com/news/11776...hree-first-nations-close-fish-farms-broughton

So saying that FN in BC support the open net-pen industry is a really misleading statement - which it is intended to be, IMHO.

https://static.seattletimes.com/wp-...c2f28-2bce-11e8-8c10-94f448d3c24f-780x722.jpg

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...c-fish-farms-will-require-indigenous-consent/

Kind of like saying first nations are opposed to pipelines despite the majority being for them but it dont matter looks like that is heading to the supreme court.

North island fn’s work with fish farms a lot. Minus namgis. Talking to some of their leadership they said they will be pushing liberals to not get rid of the farms. They will not be out of water. 100%. Too many Fn want them and get money from them.

North island fn’s work with fish farms a lot. Minus namgis. Talking to some of their leadership they said they will be pushing liberals to not get rid of the farms. They will not be out of water. 100%. Too many Fn want them and get money from them.

If this is true, and the farms stay...then we can say goodbye to wild salmon. The two don’t mix. It’s basically coming down to do we want wild salmon? Or do we want open net pen farmed Atlantic? It can’t be both as we now have it. It’s a real shame...

If this is true, and the farms stay...then we can say goodbye to wild salmon. The two don’t mix. It’s basically coming down to do we want wild salmon? Or do we want open net pen farmed Atlantic? It can’t be both as we now have it. It’s a real shame...
Would could have both if they would move the fricken things away from the migration route or went to a floating closed containment system. I would love to see the accounting of all the payouts for morts in the farms.

Back