Travelling Partner Gold River to Tahsis

Cowboy Ron

Hey guys , just thought I'd throw this out there. Gonna be launching the new (to me ) 2800 Pursuit at Gold river on or about the 5th or 6th of July headed for Tahsis . Anyone interested in buddying up for the run over to Tahsis. Steve from Mooses will have the new HDS Gen3 and 3g radar unit installed so shouldn't be any challenges navigational wise , just thought it would be smart to be running tandom first trip on the Muchalat and first run with the boat.
Cheers Ron

if you don’t find anyone most people listen on ch6 out there. lots of marine traffic and a real easy trek. Muchalat can blow up nasty in the afternoon but you will be ok with a boat that size.

edit- assuming you are heading up tahsis inlet

That’s a normally nice easy run unless you hit the afternoon inflow which rips east down Muchalet. Even then it’s pretty good once you get on the North side of Gore Island. Like RB says, that time of year lots of traffic and radio chatter. Watch out for crap in the water. Logs and like. Last year cruising by a fish farm we picked up a large 30 ft piece of nylon line that got wrapped around my prop. All ended ok.....but keep an eye out. I’m headed up a few days before you.

Thanks for the feedback guys , I hear you want to be launching on the high tide anyways, so my plan was to launch in time to catch the morning high tide . Are there any time restrictions for access at the ramp?

They are supposed to be there 24/7 during summer. I usually go at 0700 and they’re always there then. You should be ok with a 3-4 foot tide.

Talked to the guy at the ramp yesterday , he said they would be there from 5.30am - till about dark everyday.

If you plan on leaving earlier , don' t worry launch and park and they will collect when you pull the boat up.

I heard there's a few rocks at the launch , thus the need to push off at high tide. Any other issues with launching a 30 footer a guy should be prepared for ?
Thanks again to all for the feedback...this is awesome !!!

The ramp’s incline is steep. Depending on your trailer setup that can cause issues with a long anchor pulpit when your boat floats off/on trailer hitting your winch upright. That’s a challenge I have and have to edge my boat in/off slowly. Conversely re-loading can be a challenge getting the boat seated correctly on the trailer given the angle you’re winching at. I usually get the boat loaded up drive it up the ramp then hit the brakes on the road to get it up to the bow eye correctly. Ive never done it but apparently you can drive off the edge of the concrete at the end of the ramp on a low tide. There are some rocks around the float plane base at low tide. Launch on 4 foot tide plus and you’ll be fine. For safety I always keep my prop up high till I get past the float plane base. I’m giving you the worst possible issues you could encounter, don’t despair, it’s a decent launch. I’ve seen far worse. The FN folks that run it are very accommodating.

Back