Tr-1 Gold autopilot

Does anyone have a bracket for a tr1 to fit a 2019 Yamaha 9.9 high thrust I don’t need the cylinder. But will buy both. Thanks I’m in Langley. I think a bracket from 2008 and up is the same

Last edited:
I still can't get my TR1 to connect to my Garmin chart plotter so that it can steer to waypoint or route.The manual doesn't tell me how to get my Garmin echomap 94sv to aknowledge the autopilot.I've connected the Noland expander as shown and still nothing.Has anyone on here sucessfully connected their TR1 autopilot to their chart plotter? I must be missing something.

I watched this awhile back not sure if it will help Marks Marine TR-1 setup @ 8:00 there is some stuff that may help

I've watched all the video's too and have done the calibrations and the TR1 works fine on it's own ,but I can't get my chart plotter to accept that there is an autopilot connected through Nmea 0183.

Rayvon, I personally don't use that particular product ,but have looked at its manual and such and would treat it just the same as others,

Have you gone into your charplotters , settings, communications, then nmea0183 and then enabled the head unit to actually transmit info back and forth?

Yes,I've gone into settings and enabled the Nmea 0183 as far as I can tell.I added a heading sensor to the Nmea 2000 backbone and when I did a screen came up telling me how to set it up,but nothing shows up telling me that I've added an autopilot to Nmea 0183.I've read the install manual for both the TR1 and my Garmin chart plotter and neither mentions enabling the CP to accept or confirm an autopilot. The Noland expander was supposed to make the CP able to talk to the TR1 (or the other way round). I can install with instructions (and pictures) but this is way over my head.

From the manual that I downloaded and looked at, there were a few different options for the 0183 settings that were brought to my attention , like the garmin one, I was wondering if such a setting would be used instead of a standard of just turning the 0183 to transmit and receive.

I looked at the 942 manual online and noticed different channels for the NEMA 183 you might need to call garmin for advice, unless in the TR1 book is mentions the setting to use.

Attachments

• 9.PNG
    9.PNG
    57.4 KB · Views: 8
Tried again today,no dice.I'm going to look at the Noland expander next time to make sure I wired it properly. The manual says to activate GPRMB and GPRMC in Nmea 0183,which I've done.

Last edited:
again, I looked it all over again, just to see if I can grasp how this works, I was wondering why the expander and thought you had multiple items but now understand the voltage issues that can happen, so with that,

since your using the expander I would take it for granted that your unit would be using a rs-232 connection

the expander looks straight forward, power and then ground

Echomap ,blue is tx out, so that would go to your IN+ of the expander

black to a separate ground( or to the IN-, this is the confusing part as on diagram shows one thing and another shows it straight to ground, but that was diagram for sx15 were the sx14 says)
In the case of an RS-232 or other single-ended Talker, the connection should be made as shown in Figure 2. The “Out” connection from the Talker must go to “IN+” on the SX14 while “IN-” connects to the Talker “Gnd” terminal.

red to 12volts

tr1 white to out neg port 1 of the expander as eg.
tr1 red to the positive port 1 of the expander as eg.

since you bought the expander in sure you must have this documentation , but will post just in case.

LED Operation: Two LED's are provided to verify proper operation and connection of the SX14. The green data LED flashes whenever input data is detected. When there is no data, the SX14 automatically switches into a low power “Standby” state, where it remains until data is again detected.
The yellow LED indicates an overcurrent condition, which is most often caused by shorting or misconnecting an output. If the yellow LED flashes in sync with the green LED, then one of the “-” output terminals is shorted. This usually happens if a “-” output terminal is connected to an RS-232 “Gnd”. Making the proper connection (see Figure 1) will clear the fault.

Hope this helps , Enjoy Warren

Last edited:
Tried today,no go,no lights,nothing.Time to take it somewhere with an electronics tech. I guess.

Tried today,no go,no lights,nothing.Time to take it somewhere with an electronics tech. I guess.

So if were me I would go down to the boat get things powered up call Garmin tech support they are very helpful it maybe just a setting .
You maybe beating your self up for nothing.
The more you know about it the better off you will be if your fishing and it needs a tweak so stay with it
I looked at the 942 manual on line they have lot's of info. that may help but you have to dig around a bit for the info. on both the 942 and the tr-1 , at the least the tech guy's can confirm the wiring and the settings you need.
It is compatible and there is and installation guide, how do you confirm it's RS232 . I noticed blue to the compass ball/ECU in what I saw
I found a bunch of info. one tab was nmea 2000 info. package they also talk about the nema183 which your using so the info. is there.

I've been through the manuals up,down and sideways,installed the Noland expander as "smokey" explained and tried contacting Garmin support today(1 hour 25 minute wait time).I'm not that patient.I think the problem has to be the Noland connections because the TR1 works fine on it's own as do's the Echomap,their just not talking to each other.

So hope you get it sorted out soon it must be frustrating for sure. It will be interesting to find out what the issue is hope you post the results

From a bit more reading and research today, I have copied and pasted a couple interesting things

the garmin 94sv only has 4 wires coming out of CP for its nmea0183 capabilities.

The Garmin echoMAP series maintains the Garmin non-standard color coding, but offers only one interface:

DEVICE: GARMIN echoMap 40/50, echoMap CHIRP 70/90 Series
TALKER A = Blue
TALKER B = not provided
LISTENER B = not provided
LISTENER A = Brown

Other head units eg 942

The Garmin echoMAP 702/742/902/942 series appears to improve the NMEA-0183 interface by providing the recommended differential signals, but a non-standard wire color code is still used:

DEVICE: GARMIN echoMap 702/742/902/942
TALKER A = Blue
TALKER B = Gray
LISTENER B = Violet
LISTENER A = Brown

RULE 1: LISTENER connects to the TALKER of the other device with the same A/B notation.

With that, My ? would be, does the tr1 use "B" notations , were your head unit can only send and receive "A"

Or as the tr1 manual states, The autopilot expects to see, at least, the NMEA data sentences $GPRMB and $GPRMC at 4800 baud.

so another ? for garmin, if the tr1 will work with either A or B notations, is my 94sv capable of sending GPRMB GPRMC sentences.

Again I hope this helps you .

Warren

information found here
http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=816

I've been through the manuals up,down and sideways,installed the Noland expander as "smokey" explained and tried contacting Garmin support today(1 hour 25 minute wait time).I'm not that patient.I think the problem has to be the Noland connections because the TR1 works fine on it's own as do's the Echomap,their just not talking to each other.

having any success getting the plotter to control the TR1

Not exactly.One Garmin rep said I didn't need the Noland expander,so I hooked it up as he told me.Now the chart plotter do's send route info to the TR1 ,but it won't follow it properly.It's a one way system so the chart plotter sends info to the TR1 but there's no feed back.I'm not sure if the TR1 just needs to be adjusted to follow routes better or if it needs the expander to work more accurately.I was hoping someone on the forum had installed the TR1 and had success when hooking it up to their plotter.Nobody has said so yet.

So that interesting I had a rep tell me the Noland Expander was recommended to provide more output voltage than the newer style plotter can put out .
I did some research for a few months as I got ready to order one. from what I read the calibration process is critical . I had saved a contact phone number for a Tr1 expert from a search I did I'll send you a PM with the number

The main unit will work on any kicker,it's the throttle actuator that is bought to match the make you have.I have a actuator for Mercury if anyone needs one,their about $300 retail.I'd sell for 1/2 that.
Hi: do you still have the Mercury activator and if so, is it for

Garmin Tr-1 Throttle Actuator Kit F/Mercury 8 & 9.9 2005-2009, Bigfoot & Pro-Kicker

Back