The Official No Fishing Vent Thread

MICHELLE CORFRIELD's OFFICE IN NANAIMO IS:

4286 DEPARTURE BAY RD! Beside Petro Can

GO TELL HER LIBERALS WILL NEVER GET YOUR VOTE AGAIN....I did and it felt great but also let's hope she relays that back to her superiors. If we get 40-50 people going in there...that's a lot! LET'S DO IT....TAKES 5 MINUTES! this is JUST THE START!!!

MICHELLE CORFRIELD's OFFICE IN NANAIMO IS:

4286 DEPARTURE BAY RD! Beside Petro Can

GO TELL HER LIBERALS WILL NEVER GET YOUR VOTE AGAIN....I did and it felt great but also let's hope she relays that back to her superiors. If we get 40-50 people going in there...that's a lot! LET'S DO IT....TAKES 5 MINUTES! this is JUST THE START!!!
You can double down and let the Fisheries Minister know your feelings on his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/JonathanWilkinsonNorthVancouver/

I think there really needs to be a dial back the political rhetoric. It really is not that helpful.

We are in the state we are in for a variety of factors. Overfishing(rec, FN and commercial), habitat destruction, climate change,etc.

I have no special love for the current government. However, for example, a different party was in power and you all get to keep fishing, but nothing is actually invested into enhancement/habitat rehab/at risk run protection/climate change are we better off? In the near term, this would be better for the communities that are heavily reliant on the industry, but long-term potentially catastrophic.

We should be doing all we can do ensure fish have the best chance of survival from stream to estuary to open ocean and back. This will require efforts on a lot of different fronts investment in habitat rehabilitation, minimizing effects of climate change, further pinniped studies etc, etc,

I want a government that will go after those things with urgency and vigor that is required. My personal ability to retain fish is not as important in the near term.

I think there really needs to be a dial back the political rhetoric. It really is not that helpful.

We are in the state we are in for a variety of factors. Overfishing(rec, FN and commercial), habitat destruction, climate change,etc.

I have no special love for the current government. However, for example, a different party was in power and you all get to keep fishing, but nothing is actually invested into enhancement/habitat rehab/at risk run protection/climate change are we better off? In the near term, this would be better for the communities that are heavily reliant on the industry, but long-term potentially catastrophic.

We should be doing all we can do ensure fish have the best chance of survival from stream to estuary to open ocean and back. This will require efforts on a lot of different fronts investment in habitat rehabilitation, minimizing effects of climate change, further pinniped studies etc, etc,

I want a government that will go after those things with urgency and vigor that is required. My personal ability to retain fish is not as important in the near term.

You’re absolutely correct on this issue being a multi-layer problem. I have repeatedly asked the fisheries minister and Dfo for a high level strategy on how all of these issues are going to be addressed over time. Guess what I’ve heard back?? Nothing!
Reducing the harvest levels alone won’t even make a dent in this monster issue. All dfo talks of conservation by reducing angling pressure is smoke and mirrors.

Had they managed it properly in the first place we might be in a different boat here. Decades of mismanagement from every party finds us here. Until they land lock fish farms, cull seals and sea lions, reduce the herring quotas, and increase enforcement nothing is going to change. Really this helps the poachers and makes these special interest groups feel better.

Last edited:
I disagree about dialling back political rhetoric, I think that’s what got us here. The politicians have had total control of the fishery for over a century and quite frankly they screwed it. They controlled both the Commercial and Public fishery allowable catch and now we hear the problem was overfishing, so other than poachers, they failed to maintain sustainable limits. People fishing within the rules they promulgated should never have been a problem

They controlled the regulations and permits for mining and logging near the rivers and now we hear destruction of habitat is a major problem because they failed to maintain oversight or assess the environmental factors accurately.

They failed to listen to their Scientists (and many others)and apparently the citizen advisory groups they formed. While We can’t hang it all on the new Minister, there are a lot of his managers and advisors that have had a career with DFO and apparently saw nothing coming until the ENGO’s pointed it out to them and by then it was so bad it required these draconian measures.

It’s become clear to me that dialling back is taken by politicians to mean you really don’t care and are willing to accept restrictions proposed by other special interest groups. It also means that you can be ignored and that’s exactly what has happened to the Public Fishery, we have relatively no voice at the table even though we number 300 thousand. Meanwhile a relatively small group of ENGO’s have the politicians and medias ears and are controlling the game.

For what it’s worth I wrote the Prime Minister (whose grandfather was Fisheries Minister) as well as the current Minister! It may not do any good, but if anyone on here is naive enough to think the ENGO’s are dialing back the political rhetoric or being quiet on issues important to them I’ve got a bridge I can sell you. The politicians follow the path of least resistance and for too many years that was us.

Being from down south, It's not my place to comment on another country's political situation even as it will affect my vacation plans. However, from all I've read about the fishery up there (this will be my first year going) is it factual that fin clipped chinook are from the hatcheries down here? (I know the guys down here gripe about the all the fish being caught up there that they should get ;) Seems like an easy solution would have been "no retention of native fish, clipped hatchery fish only" Yes, it would have cut down the odds but at least we could have still tried right. After all that's the rules for Coho anyway, shouldn't have been to hard to implement.

I disagree about dialling back political rhetoric, I think that’s what got us here. The politicians have had total control of the fishery for over a century and quite frankly they screwed it. They controlled both the Commercial and Public fishery allowable catch and now we hear the problem was overfishing, so other than poachers, they failed to maintain sustainable limits. People fishing within the rules they promulgated should never have been a problem

They controlled the regulations and permits for mining and logging near the rivers and now we hear destruction of habitat is a major problem because they failed to maintain oversight or assess the environmental factors accurately.

They failed to listen to their Scientists (and many others)and apparently the citizen advisory groups they formed. While We can’t hang it all on the new Minister, there are a lot of his managers and advisors that have had a career with DFO and apparently saw nothing coming until the ENGO’s pointed it out to them and by then it was so bad it required these draconian measures.

It’s become clear to me that dialling back is taken by politicians to mean you really don’t care and are willing to accept restrictions proposed by other special interest groups. It also means that you can be ignored and that’s exactly what has happened to the Public Fishery, we have relatively no voice at the table even though we number 300 thousand. Meanwhile a relatively small group of ENGO’s have the politicians and medias ears and are controlling the game.

For what it’s worth I wrote the Prime Minister (whose grandfather was Fisheries Minister) as well as the current Minister! It may not do any good, but if anyone on here is naive enough to think the ENGO’s are dialing back the political rhetoric or being quiet on issues important to them I’ve got a bridge I can sell you. The politicians follow the path of least resistance and for too many years that was us.

I am saying, that the direct attacks against individual political parties and ministers are ridiculous. The post saying **** the Lieberals etc, etc, etc, is not helpful at all.

Personally, I give to ***** about the special interests groups. I care solely about the long-term survival of all the pacific salmon. I believe all past governments are to blame in not managing this right, not regulating habitats correctly etc. Rec Fishing is also a special interest group, keep that in mind, we have our own biases that need to be addressed.

Politically I am at a bit of loss on who do vote for that will manage this correctly. All the major parties pander to their own special interests.

Being from down south, It's not my place to comment on another country's political situation even as it will affect my vacation plans. However, from all I've read about the fishery up there (this will be my first year going) is it factual that fin clipped chinook are from the hatcheries down here? (I know the guys down here gripe about the all the fish being caught up there that they should get ;) Seems like an easy solution would have been "no retention of native fish, clipped hatchery fish only" Yes, it would have cut down the odds but at least we could have still tried right. After all that's the rules for Coho anyway, shouldn't have been to hard to implement.

Unlike our friends south of the border, we only clip a small proportion of hatchery Chinook...10% or so.

So many “wild” fish we catch are actually hatchery fish which aren’t clipped.

Its true that a good number of fish caught in area 18 and 19 are headed south to the USA, but certainly not all fin-clipped fish are headed there. Canadian hatcheries lack funding to clip or tag every fish so even some that appear "wild" will be from a hatchery. We sometimes use clipped and unclipped instead of hatchery or wild because of this. If they made it so clipped fish were retainable, youd still be throwing back a lot of unclipped hatchery fish in pursuit of the clipped ones. I dont know the percentages offhand but its not a large number that get clipped or tagged, and I heard the cost of marking these hatchery fish has doubled in some cases since last year.

The coho regs are a total mess, and likely lead to the slaughter of more fish than if you were allowed to keep unclipped ones.

For sure clipped only would have been a much better announcement and would have achieved the goal of protecting the Fraser Chinook. I am not aware of any hatchery clipping of the 12 stocks at serious risk, perhaps someone can chime in, but overall it seems that Canada only clips about 10% of the hatchery output so many fish that we catch are unclipped hatchery fish. You are correct that many of the Washington runs are up here to feed through different parts of the year, just as the BC stocks are up in Alaska. That said the Washington/OR fish especially Columbian go up to Alaska too.

It seems the only real solutions that will make a meaningful difference is coordination between Alaska, BC, Wash and Oregon since....fish swim! Reading between the lines of this announcement, this seems to be actually happening between BC and Wash. I suspect that Washington had a significant influence on the decision...

[QUOTE="advTHXance, post: 926039, member: 9213"

The coho regs are a total mess, and likely lead to the slaughter of more fish than if you were allowed to keep unclipped ones.[/QUOTE]

I TOTALLY agree. Should be first two legal length cohos to the boat. No C/R.

Business as usual in upper Fraser while these endangered stocks migrate....
I have zero problem with rod and reel or dip net for FN...but having gill nets up their is like shooting fish in a barrel with the Fraser being low.
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/abor-autoc/UpperFraser/UMFOpenTimes-eng.htm

They will fish all the next few months, They will say that we are still out there in the ocean C&R and they will all go out and fish. Nothing has changed in their world, Business as usual

They are not stupid they have biologist on their side that crunch numbers, They will say that we have 100's of boats out all around the cost C&R. There is an estimated 15% mortality rate, If sporties get to kill X number we want to kill the same.

I am saying, that the direct attacks against individual political parties and ministers are ridiculous. The post saying **** the Lieberals etc, etc, etc, is not helpful at all.

Personally, I give to ***** about the special interests groups. I care solely about the long-term survival of all the pacific salmon. I believe all past governments are to blame in not managing this right, not regulating habitats correctly etc. Rec Fishing is also a special interest group, keep that in mind, we have our own biases that need to be addressed.

Politically I am at a bit of loss on who do vote for that will manage this correctly. All the major parties pander to their own special interests.
I agree that personal attacks are unwarranted, however holding the people who are responsible for the current fiasco is not unwarranted. Sitting back and saying nothing will get you exactly that, nothing. Politicians are elected not by their partisan base ( who vote on tribal lines regardless) but largely by the non partisan citizens who base their votes on issues that resonate with them. Public fishing has never been an election issue and it’s about time it became one! Public fishery is and always has been reliant on sound conservation and environmental policies, had those been in place we wouldn’t need the current measures.

Yeah,you can’t hold current politicians responsible for the past incompetence for the predecessors , nor those voters who remained quiet on the sidelines while the stock was being managed to extinction. You can demand the current politicos answer for their parties policies, both past and present and demand they own their mistakes. I’d suggest the reason you are at a “bit of a loss on who to vote for” is because this is not an issue politicians in any party are either discussing or addressing. Why, because the public aren’t making it an election issue.

There’s nothing wrong with calling out our political representatives for their failures nor kicking them out of office for those failures. All the same though I agree that personal attacks against an individual as opposed to his or her party policies is wrong.

For sure clipped only would have been a much better announcement and would have achieved the goal of protecting the Fraser Chinook. I am not aware of any hatchery clipping of the 12 stocks at serious risk, perhaps someone can chime in, but overall it seems that Canada only clips about 10% of the hatchery output so many fish that we catch are unclipped hatchery fish. You are correct that many of the Washington runs are up here to feed through different parts of the year, just as the BC stocks are up in Alaska. That said the Washington/OR fish especially Columbian go up to Alaska too.

It seems the only real solutions that will make a meaningful difference is coordination between Alaska, BC, Wash and Oregon since....fish swim! Reading between the lines of this announcement, this seems to be actually happening between BC and Wash. I suspect that Washington had a significant influence on the decision...

Thanks for the clarifications, just learning a new area and the regulations is sometimes daunting and sad to say your regs now look like ours down here with all the zones, quotas, dates for open and closures. Coordination with us may not be as good of an idea as you think. I was joking the other day with a fishing buddy that soon they will add the moon phase into ours "only 1 fin clipped ling cod between 22" and 27 5/16" on full moon"

"First Nations food, social and ceremonial fisheries: these fisheries, which have a constitutionally protected priority, will not commence until July 15 – concurrent with the opening of the recreational retention fishery."

Maybe someone can clarify this for me, but I took this to mean that the FN fisheries are also closed. Does this not include netting?

Maybe someone can clarify this for me, but I took this to mean that the FN fisheries are also closed. Does this not include netting?

Yet to be seen or clarified by DFO. The chinook are the first of the year salmon ceremonies. For DFO to delay it would be monumental, If DFO does go though with it i would be surprised if it does not gets challenge in court.

In what way is catch and release better than retaining 1 hatchery only? If you have to let the spawners go (to be netted) why not have a hatchery for dinner. Most of the hatchery fish are here because of us anglers and guys like @profisher and the 1000’s that donate to net pens. There’s little to no motivation for us and him to keep putting in the effort just to have the hard earned results taken away.
I also think 30 fish per person per year is heavy. 15 seems more reasonable and if a salmon stamp cost $50 instead of the pocket change it is now they could put more into enhancement. (or bullets for seals)

Back