Tell me about your balls

Stizzla

Crew Member
im wondering if anybody coats their cannonballs? If you do what do you use, how do you use it and what colour do you like? Bonus points for pictures!

Have used RVP's ballz (coated 1/2 & 1/2 UV and Glow) previously, caught fish with them. Cried when I lost the last one...
Also have put UV Blast on my ballz as well... If you don't get out much they will help. For us pros, it don't make much difference...

Have used RVP's ballz (coated 1/2 & 1/2 UV and Glow) previously, caught fish with them. Cried when I lost the last one...
Also have put UV Blast on my ballz as well... If you don't get out much they will help. For us pros, it don't make much difference...
Interesting product. Do you paint them first and then coat them in this?

I pour my own 15s. I used to manage the service department at a dealership so I've got enough tire weights to last a lifetime. Once my balls have cooled I coat them in Flex Seal spray on rubber and then in the Plasti-dip color of your choosing. A coat of each gives my balls a little cushion when I inevitably smack them off the side of the boat. Also won't leave any lead marks.

I spray mine with whatever spray paint I have on hand just to reduce my exposure to the lead. I have tried plasti dip, but it didn't seem to last much better.

I have some with white plastidip and some with the rustoleom version plastic coating in black. Plastidip worked better because the rustoleuM goes on wet and almost dropped off before it dried. I have other balls that were more professionally done in a glow. I don’t notice a difference in the amount of fish caught because of the coating. I just coated them because I didn’t like touching lead and didn’t like it banging off my boat because I have the small arm Scotty Downriggers.

Plastidip also makes a glow in the dark spray if you wanna give that a try.

On that note, last year I took about 130 pounds of lead out of my boat from underneath the seats. Bring what you need for the day, not what you need for the next two years lol. Makes a difference in my 18’ boat

Anyone try Canadian Tire spray on Rocker Guard? I read somewhere guys were using it.

Anyone try Canadian Tire spray on Rocker Guard? I read somewhere guys were using it.

Yup I use it in white. Works real good, sometimes I’ll spray glow in the dark paint or green marking paint on after.

Can someone please fill me in on this subject. you are not supposed to touch lead now? since when?

Is my wifi signal causing me to go bald?

I used to crimp split shot on the line with my teeth when I was kid.

Mouth also filled with mercury.

Not ill effects yet!

My balls are coated for safety though....
Me too
What were we talking about?

hmm, i always assumed a downrigger ball, or a slip weight etc. was a solid mass, so no risk.
Try rubbing your thumb on the oxidized ball, see how it shines up? now look at your thumb. Every time you handle an un coated ball, trace amounts of lead get on your hands. Then you eat a sandwich or some Cheezies..Now it's on them.

Try rubbing your thumb on the oxidized ball, see how it shines up? now look at your thumb. Every time you handle an un coated ball, trace amounts of lead get on your hands. Then you eat a sandwich or some Cheezies..Now it's on them.

This forum is depressing: no fish, reduced limits, uv rays, lead poisoning. And now you are saying I can’t eat Cheezies. Is life even worth living?

Back