Steering station vs Remote steering

Ruff

I'm looking at putting 25hp yammy kicker on the back of my 30' Commander. Wondering if anyone has any advice on weither to build a small steering station or go with a remote steering option. I have the room to build the remote station and like the idea of having the throttle controls right beside the wheel.

Thoughts??

You could put a hydraulic rear helm and tie a hydraulic intelli steer or auto pilot with it, this is the ultimate setup

Hydraulic helm with autopilot, ultimate setup! Mines an outboard main with tie bar, not sure if it's feasible for your inboard (assuming).

Attachments

• 20190317_100147_resized.jpg
    20190317_100147_resized.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 107
So I've got a 15HP efi ordered up and I'm trying to decide where to mount my controls. Any problem with mounting totally vertical here? Anything else I should consider? @BCI @Unreel @ryanb @dmurph
@Ruff what did you end up with?
20190722_191242.jpg

So I've got a 15HP efi ordered up and I'm trying to decide where to mount my controls. Any problem with mounting totally vertical here? Anything else I should consider? @BCI @Unreel @ryanb @dmurph
@Ruff what did you end up with?
View attachment 46448

I have a similar setup. But, my throttle control is turned 90 degrees to your drawing. Meaning the key hangs straight down towards the deck, but so do the control cables, which are then routed into the bulkhead. It works very well on my boat.

Hard to say if thats a good spot without seeing the view forward from there. I would say transom mount might be better if possible. Also regardless of where you put it, get a Trollmaster Pro3 Plus, control the throttle anywhere on the boat wirelessly.

Hard to say if thats a good spot without seeing the view forward from there. I would say transom mount might be better if possible. Also regardless of where you put it, get a Trollmaster Pro3 Plus, control the throttle anywhere on the boat wirelessly.
I'd say for sure that's good advice but I'm trying to keep this as idiot proof as possible. You wouldn't be able to steer from anywhere else so not sure I'd need to control speed from anywhere else.

I find this is the best spot that I can try and peak around the bow to get a view forward. The boats a beast so there really isn't a great view from anywhere.

And if your going hydraulic for the kicker might as well put an autopilot in and grab a bluetooth remote! Can steer and do throttle from anywhere on the boat then. Would be super handy if your up on the fly bridge while trolling.

I'd say for sure that's good advice but I'm trying to keep this as idiot proof as possible. You wouldn't be able to steer from anywhere else so not sure I'd need to control speed from anywhere else.

I find this is the best spot that I can try and peak around the bow to get a view forward. The boats a beast so there really isn't a great view from anywhere.
Ya flybridges are a bit difficult to setup especially if your going to be up top a bunch while fishing. Ive got a 28 bertram flybridge and the setup i mentioned would be how i would set it up. but if your keeping it simple i think the spot you picked out would be good if your going to steer from there, visibility forward and to the port side is the tough part from there tho.

Ya flybridges are a bit difficult to setup especially if your going to be up top a bunch while fishing. Ive got a 28 bertram flybridge and the setup i mentioned would be how i would set it up. but if your keeping it simple i think the spot you picked out would be good if your going to steer from there, visibility forward and to the port side is the tough part from there tho.
From the limited time I've spent fishing this boat so far I've learned a few things. One is that if I'm fishing alone or with the wife and kid I need control right where I'm fishing from. So in that case it's the only spot. When I have a crew and someone wants to steer from up top that's ideal but we just fish off the main in that case. I've also learned to do little turns to port to get a quick glance then for the most part keep my steering to starboard if possible. That's where the existing steering leash is so maybe I'm just used to it now. The occasional peak all the way through the boat helps too. I've also got some ram mounts for my tablet and can link that to my hds 12 as a remote which is great for that spot and up top. I had a crazy plan of mounting a camera to the bow and watching for crab traps through the tablet as well. o_O

Mine is setup like your drawing. I have a small console that the steering wheel mounts to and all hydraulic the flybridge, forward and rear steering station are all linked together and you can steer from anyone of them. Kicker controls are only controlled at the back but the is always someone back there so not much of a problem.

Mine is setup like your drawing. I have a small console that the steering wheel mounts to and all hydraulic the flybridge, forward and rear steering station are all linked together and you can steer from anyone of them. Kicker controls are only controlled at the back but the is always someone back there so not much of a problem.
Woah you can do that? This is all so beyond me. Can you buy prefabbed consoles like that? Are they totally necessary?

2009-04-19_105337_schamatic_for_multi_helm_pumps_by_kobelt.jpg Can't find the drawing I was looking for but here is one for a 4 station steering you can get the idea.

You can do a hydraulic helm for the kicker and have it tied in with a hydraulic intelli steer, then you can steer from anywhere in the boat with the wireless remote or off the rear helm

Sometimes the transom mount is nice as you can work the riggers and kicker control without much movement, plus the cable runs and routes are often easier this way

There is a tie bar to the kicker. There is a way to add a separate ram to the kicker and a gateway valve off the main but have not gone that way as this works for now.727b.jpg

There is a tie bar to the kicker. There is a way to add a separate ram to the kicker and a gateway valve off the main but have not gone that way as this works for now.View attachment 46463
Oh I see with a tie bar. Gotcha. I assumed that wasn't an option with an IO if I wanted to tilt the kicker out of the water. Connecting and disconnecting isn't an option for me as I'm trying to avoid having to get my feet wet on the low swim grid which is another reason I'm going this route.

Back