stamp 2010

went all day gun club-the bucket back then to the falls pool fished there for a bit with a bunch of seals

Was up on the weekend. Took the jet from the hatch to money's. Also above the hatch to the falls.

Water was beautiful although fairly low. Weather was perfect although very cold ( the fish thought so as well ! )

Still quite a few coho around. We hook 20 or 30 ( all fair ) we did everything we could to avoid them but the steelhead were evenly dispersed in and amongst them and the coho were viciously patrolling the area smacking any and everything. Why couldn't they cooperate like that when they are chrome fresh and just entering the system??????. Lots of big cutthroats as well.We saw hundreds. We saw a few big fat chrome winters but we did not target them. The summers although being very finiky provided for some entertaining times. Once hooked they fought very well. Everything was released. ( should mention we drifted slowly through the runs and sight fished to everything. We found pods of 10-15 steelhead in the craziest places. A shore angler could not have done nearly as well. Not even a drift boat . Man I tell you the jet boats sure do make it interesting!

Tough fishing as the water was low clear and cold, but we did prevail and had a great trip all in all.

Felt like the river was all ours. In all that water we only saw two other anglers over the entire weekend.

HL

nice work highlights!!!! lol although a kick in the butt at the same time haha o well next time!!

i wouldn't say its that difficult from shore hooked 6 on the upper today and landed 3 summers and if u think about how much more effort u had to go through to get your boat to the river and the cost, how effective is it really to run a sled on a river with trails up and down

i wouldn't say its that difficult from shore hooked 6 on the upper today and landed 3 summers and if u think about how much more effort u had to go through to get your boat to the river and the cost, how effective is it really to run a sled on a river with trails up and down

You wouldn't say that if you fished out of a jetboat. They are so efficient at covering water

Nice to see 3 seals working the the lower somass and 1 or 2 more all the way up to the bucket. No wonder all the fish are scooting thru and shooting for the falls pool. Guess its gonna be another traffic jam year from the bucket to falls......great...

The seals are in....no wonder I didn't catch anything on Sat. I was starting to question my skills.....now I have an excuse....it was the seals.

Yeah I know what you are saying YS. I have fished the rivers from BC to Ontario by way of foot for 30 years. Caught thousands of fish and every trip out was certainly enjoyable. I wasn't suggesting it couldn't be done , but the difficulty is certainly something there is no need for especially on a river such as the Stamp. Not everyone has found where the honey holes are in order to take advantage of the trails. Alot of guys as noted above simply go empty handed after a days trek up there. When the water is low and clear it can be even more irritating to cover all the water you need. Years ago I would pound the sh$%t out of the falls pool. Race to the hole at 4:00 am just to ensure I got my spot. Stuck there all day and took multiple fish in a day. The jet allows us to cover an amazing amount of water. If you have never run one you don't know what you are missing. That may be a good thing! LOLo. There are back channels to that river that not alot of people know exist. I may take a few fish from a run then take off for an hour to fish another spot. Come back to the same spot an hour later just to hook a few more. I can do that all day for multiple spots. Makes you realize why a guy in a jet can have 20-30 fish days in the peak of the season. Everything has it's moment and the jet for me works on the Stamp. It's plain fun thats all. You are successful on the river and thats great. I didn't mean anything by it. I was simply stating that others need not feel bad because they turned up empty on a walk in. Thats alot of work at times.

PS. compared to taking the driftboat out or even getting the Striper to the Saltwater the jet is extremly easy. No shuttle cars to worry about, no sore back from rowing, no huge fuel bill as we are only running a small 4 stroke ( it aint no 225 LOL ) .....man it couldn't be easier. Really

Again, it isn't better, it's just differant.

PS. compared to taking the driftboat out or even getting the Striper to the Saltwater the jet is extremly easy. No shuttle cars to worry about, no sore back from rowing, no huge fuel bill as we are only running a small 4 stroke ( it aint no 225 LOL ) .....man it couldn't be easier. Really

Again, it isn't better, it's just differant.

Alright, how much $$ to buy something similar with the small 4 stroke?
Might have to go to a different thread on this if the natives get a little pi$$y about hijacking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear a couple decent reports! I finally have a chance to get out this Wednesday and I was going to take a trip up to Port. But wouldn't you know it, the weather is going to absolute $hite. Man, I'd start whining if I thought it would help.

Environment Canada's calling for 130mm over the next 3 days....Not looking like a good set up for the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
highlights, i have been on a sled a few times b4 on the stamp and it was awesome, but dont u think hiking in and catching steel is much more rewarding... ive enjoyed my days with west coast charters on the river and had a 12 fish day last time out with them but isn't one of the best parts about fishing taking in the sight and sounds of the enviorment around u, just u and the river, no rumble on a gas motor .... dont get me wrong i got NO problem with jet boats but why use a jet boat on a river that is easy access, if i had a jet boat i would be on the moyeha or the burman, i dont know i guess im just jelous

I agree, but the Stamp is not the place I'd be hiking anytime soon. Too much of a gong show to make a differance. I'll save the walk ins for more remote wilderness streams.

ive always wondered if you can run a jet boat in the ocean for a short distance b4 ripping up the estuary. but being small enough to run smaller streams than the stamp. are the flat bottoms brutal in a small chop

Best way to do that is zodiac with jet. Fits in the back of the ocean boat, pull into the estuary anchor and run up the system with the zodiac. Best way to hammer the Coast..

Back