stamp 2010

OBSERVATIONS:

Stamp falls counting facility has been fully operational since September 2.

During the past 9 days Chinook adult numbers have ranged from 323 to 844. Coho adults have

ranged from 168 to 390 and Sockeye adults have ranged from 2 to 37. Total escapement

through Stamp Falls to October 12 is 21,873 Chinook, 20,387 Coho and 32,895 Sockeye.

Sockeye escapement through both Great Central Lake and Sproat Lake counters requires

further analysis at this time. No additional data is available at present.

Stamp Falls enumeration has been fully operational so far with no shut downs.

River flows have risen and are above average for this time of year. River temperature has

dropped to 13oC and is below recent years average.

More springs then coho in the upper river...I guess the sky isn't falling after all. The sss early chinook run has been pretty much wiped out, thank god for the late Sept early Oct fish..

Pass the Pack

Seems like those late fish just rocket through barkely and the inlet the last few years. Its to bad as it sure hurts the saltwater fishery.

That's the problem with all the early fish being harvested-:( Those Oct. fish have only one thing on there minds & it's not biting or feeding.
The scarely part of the count -not sure if its shown on this report is the Jack spring count is really low which means perhaps not a great year next season:(

Funny on the Jack count being low because @ the hatchery the other day the jacks outnumbered the Matured females 10-1 at least in the spill way ???? Guess depends what you call A Jack

IMGP7780-1.jpg

As Of Oct 21,2010

OBSERVATIONS:
During the past 9 days Chinook adult numbers have ranged from 177 to 373. Coho adults have ranged from 22 to 85 and Sockeye adults have ranged from 1 to 6. Total escapement through Stamp Falls to October 21 is 24,272 Chinook, 20,735 Coho and 32,916 Sockeye. Sockeye escapement through both Great Central Lake and Sproat Lake counters requires further analysis at this time. No additional data is available at present.
Stamp Falls enumeration has been fully operational so far with no shut downs.
River flows have risen and are above average for this time of year. River temperature has dropped to 12oC and is below recent years average.

Was fishing the Stamp on Saturday up by Monies Pool. Didn't get anything, but I did see something pretty cool. Was standing near a bunch of spawning cohos (think they were cohos or smallish springs)when I noticed a much lighter coloured fish, believe it was a steelhead as it was of similar size, square tail. It would swim up real fast and grab one of the salmon by the belly and twist a bit. It must have been milking them for eggs. I'd heard of cutthroat doing something similar but not steelhead. Anyone else seen this happen.

Somass River Escapement Bulletin
Observations to Oct 27th, 2010
OBSERVATIONS:
During the past 6 days Chinook adult numbers have ranged from 56 to 348. Coho adults have ranged from 15 to 40 and Sockeye adults have ranged from 0 to 2. Total daytime escapement through Stamp Falls to October 27th is 24,750 Chinook, 20,809 Coho and 32,920 Sockeye. Sockeye escapement through both Great Central Lake and Sproat Lake counters requires further analysis at this time. No additional data is available at present.
Stamp Falls enumeration was shut down between October 24th and October 26th due to high water levels and turbidity, with counts resuming on October 27th.
River flows have risen and are above average for this time of year. River temperature has dropped to 10oC and is below recent year’s average.

The downward spiril of the Alberni Chinook continues.

Nice work, DFO.[xx(]

going to head over from Courtenay and give it a go in the a.m.....actually in about 6hrs[xx(],
#&*$#cant sleep rite after work:(...
it will be first time out for steelies this season for me:D..
got to get some sleep[|)]

Never hear about anyone using those BIG UGLY DEW WORMS anymore for those winters,they were hot in the old days!

They still work..... unless there is a bait ban

0 for 1 so far for me...
walked/fished the upper(just over a week ago now:)) and hit 0, saw a few jumpers that I'm thinking were coho's..very peacefull day on the river...no fish but all & all a good day,

*** a heads up***
one of the guys I was with had heard of a fellow who saw 7(yes 7) different bears while walking from moneys up to below the Ash not so long ago...so he had brought along with him the other day a pack of ''Screech-Aroos'' that he had in his top pocket to light and throw:p at any bears we might have come across....

...we saw NO bears...

If u can, walk down from moneys. Its a bit of a bushwack but will usually pay off. Money's to ash gets pounded hard...

Back