Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Was out from 3 - 6 pm today in front of posession and secretary island, fished bait at all depths and no hits, not much for bait on the sounder, heading out in the morning, hopfully il do better in the AM...:(

Thanks double nickel......was going to give it a try tommorow, guess I'll stick around Sooke...
Hombre , kick the boat off Mom's backyard,head to the O.B Flats,with plenty of Squirts on hand..No se pierda la oportunidad ;)

Out at 10:00 today to fish the tide change at the shack. Fished at 240 feet down to 120 ft and picked up a hatchery spring. Used purple haze flashy and teaser with anchovy. On the way back at Aldridge, pick up another spring at 120 with same set-up, but it spit the hook as I was getting the net (seemed to be legal, but I will never know). What a wonderful day! Nice to be back on the water.

Fished from 10am -3pm, started at the trailer park to otter, handful of other boats out there, didnt see or get any action, looked like a lot of people towards sherringham pt. we picked up and trolled around secretary for a bit before calling it a day.... Starting to get fristrated with not getting any action....am i the only one not catching anythng right now or is it slow for everyone?

10:30 to 3:00 at Sherringham for us. 2:30 Had one good one on for a few short runs before spittin the hook. No other bites. On a positive note, finally some big keepers in the crab traps. Know of a couple decent hatcheries caught further west than us today but think it was overall pretty spotty, kinda typical May fishing

Fished the Head 4 hours today. nothing to show for it. Didn't mark any bait or see anyone catch anything.

Was out yesterday fished the bluffs to otter and back landed a wild just under the size limit :) and released a smaller wild at the boat other than that it was a beautiful day to just be on the water

Interesting day Hali fishing yesterday . The first two things we got were 2 dungie crabs at 180 ft .... then a skate , then we got onechicken ... Looked up and saw a nice big scotchman come floating along.. nice score bonus .... then 2 more hali's to finish it off ... and to top it off the weather was AMAZING

Interesting day Hali fishing yesterday . The first two things we got were 2 dungie crabs at 180 ft .... then a skate , then we got onechicken ... Looked up and saw a nice big scotchman come floating along.. nice score bonus .... then 2 more hali's to finish it off ... and to top it off the weather was AMAZING

Maby a stupid question here......But! you sort of made it out like you cought the crabs with your hali gear....or should I drink my morning coffee before reading the forums? lol

Pics..... Maybe

Broke my cherry and finally posted a Pic, I hope, smaller of the Two Wilds from Fridays Fish :)

Attachments

• Best Pic  Chinook.jpg
    Best Pic Chinook.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 142
Have caught many a crab on the hally gear over the years!
I found them to drop off when they hit the top of the water,a wanton look may also scare them into falling off prematurely.

Maby a stupid question here......But! you sort of made it out like you cought the crabs with your hali gear....or should I drink my morning coffee before reading the forums? lol
It was on the hali gear ... on the bottom .... the hooks were wrapped around their legs , we laughed our butt off

I got the same crab off William head twice, two weeks apart, couple hundred feet of water. (same spot)

A female just over 6 inches with a unique barnacle pattern on the shell.

lol! thats crazy. I cant say ive ever caught a crab with my hali gear! Im looking forward to it happening one day! lol

thanks for the info.

I got the same crab off William head twice, two weeks apart, couple hundred feet of water. (same spot)

Yep that whole area attracts large Dungies,you don't have to be shallow to find em.One day we reeled up at least a doz dinner plate size crabs.. just to see them let go as they broke the surface :(

Don't know, on the other hand you would need an extra long handle to take advantage of the situation

I doubt it is illigel to get the crabs with a dip net. Divers can just go around picking them up not sure why you wouldn't be aloud to scoop them.

Lots of people fish for crabs using a rod and reel. In some parts of the states it is popular to use a large snare with bait in the middle. Basically it's a huge tangled ball of fishing line with bait in the middle. People cast it out off the shore and wait. Crabs come to check out the bait, get tangled in the mess and get reeled in later on. It's funny what people resort to when they don't have a boat to fish from.

Back