Searunner 210 HT - thoughts/reviews

Dave....

Looking at a 2017 Searunner HT ( canvas back ) but only has a 150hp on it. a few questions for those of you who have this boat: your reco on engine size ( crossing Georgia Straight regularly , fishing, mostly 2 people, often haul a bunch of building supplies, gear, etc ). Also wondering how you like the rise in bigger seas ? and, of course , if someone had one who might take me for a spin ( I'll pay for gas and for your time ), I'd love a spin to see how she handles. Thanks in advance, Dave

if youre crossing regularly youre better off with an alaskan 270. if youre crossing 2-3X a summer and can avoid going (no deadline) if the weather is bad you can do it in a kingfisher 1825 like i do for waay cheaper.
anything above 15 kts of wind and youre better off not going in the searunner 210. its a fair weather no seas above 3ft boat. only thing the hard top gives you is more comfortable on overnight or cold weather trips. that being said its a great boat. perfectly suited for most of BC in the boating season. just dont push it and youre fine.
ive seen it with the 150HP. i was faster than it on my KF 1825 with 115HP but you can cruise it at WOT around 30 kts. i presume this is the one with the honda 150HP youre looking at which cruises around pitt lake occasionally.

Last edited:
I had the 190 sea runner ht. It had the 150 yammy. I thought that was good for it. It would get about 34knots. So 150 might be a bit under the size I would prefer but I don’t think it would be insufficient

I have a 220 searunner( up for grabs next year) with a 150 hp yammy. When I bought the boat I asked the dealer if it would be better to strap on a 200 engine.
He said it was unnecessary and that a 150 would be fine. That has been the case ,in fact I put on a new 150 last year .
Kind of performance I am getting is 27 ish mph for 4300rpm. which is fine for me -also cheap on gas.
Having said that I don't think having a bit of extra power is going to hurt other than your wallet.

if youre crossing regularly youre better off with an alaskan 270. if youre crossing 2-3X a summer and can avoid going (no deadline) if the weather is bad you can do it in a kingfisher 1825 like i do for waay cheaper.
anything above 15 kts of wind and youre better off not going in the searunner 210. its a fair weather no seas above 3ft boat. only thing the hard top gives you is more comfortable on overnight or cold weather trips. that being said its a great boat. perfectly suited for most of BC in the boating season. just dont push it and youre fine.
ive seen it with the 150HP. i was faster than it on my KF 1825 with 115HP but you can cruise it at WOT around 30 kts. i presume this is the one with the honda 150HP youre looking at which cruises around pitt lake occasionally.
thanks..i do cross approx 30x a year but do have the ability to pause and wait out weather. Not looking to buy a new boat for the worst the straight can put out :) But seeking a good all-round boat and the HT is due to me being out all year.

I have a 220 searunner( up for grabs next year) with a 150 hp yammy. When I bought the boat I asked the dealer if it would be better to strap on a 200 engine.
He said it was unnecessary and that a 150 would be fine. That has been the case ,in fact I put on a new 150 last year .
Kind of performance I am getting is 27 ish mph for 4300rpm. which is fine for me -also cheap on gas.
Having said that I don't think having a bit of extra power is going to hurt other than your wallet.
well..in no hurry to buy now so if you will be selling a boat that might work, certainly interested in what you might have..Thx for the insight as well..

well..in no hurry to buy now so if you will be selling a boat that might work, certainly interested in what you might have..Thx for the insight as well..
Waiting on a new boat getting built (March -so they say).
I'll probably ask the guys on this site to take a stab at the price. Some of them seem to be pretty well clued up on boat pricing

I had the Searunner 180 with a yami 115 and always had tons of crap on it. I would say the 150 on the bigger HT would be fine for 2 people under 200 pounds each and regular gear. I think the 210 would start to struggle if you load it down and have 600+ lbs of people on board plus, plus, plus. Everything from a kicker, radar, extra cannon balls adds up quickly.

I added suspension seats and would say if you have them the HT is good for almost any weather. I would go with Shoxs new pedestal seats, not the factory options. There is a rating that some boats get built to in Europe and Internationally but I don't believe that Hewescraft uses that type or rating. I'd rate it as a class C boat but that is with a backup engine that can keep it moving! https://itayachtscanada.com/understand-the-class-a-b-c-d-in-yachting/. I took my searunner out to Swiftsure and stayed out when most people went in.

It was interesting reading your comments about the boat being a fair weather boat and not suitable for seas above 3 feet.
I have been in some snotty weather with the boat (not out of choice) and never had call to complain about the boat or handling,sure there are better boats.
I have taken the boat regularly out to the big banks off Bamfield without issue.
I suppose at the end of the day it’s down to how we perceive the experience-am beginning to sound like that clown we have as a PM,better stop.

It was interesting reading your comments about the boat being a fair weather boat and not suitable for seas above 3 feet.
I have been in some snotty weather with the boat (not out of choice) and never had call to complain about the boat or handling,sure there are better boats.
I have taken the boat regularly out to the big banks off Bamfield without issue.
I suppose at the end of the day it’s down to how we perceive the experience-am beginning to sound like that clown we have as a PM,better stop.

if you want to judge your boat go out when there is a small craft advisory/strong wind warning in effect. take a EPIRB/dry suit since you may not come back.
generally any boats in this class are fair weather boats and cant handle more than 1/5th of the length of the boat in terms of wave height. for an 18-22 foot max youre looking at 3ft until you get to above 25 feet you can handle more than 3 ft seas. remember that in 3ft seas you can occasionally get 6-9 foot rogue waves either as a single or in multiples of 3 with short intervals. if you get a 6-9 ft wave set of 3, side-on a searunner its going to go down or get rolled. a 25+ fter can handle 5 foot seas which may occasionally produce 10-15 ft waves. a coast guard SAFE boat is rated for 10 ft seas which has the automatic self righting capability which allow it to handle 20-30ft rogue waves. if you went out in actual 3 ft seas and came back you got lucky or didnt encounter the odd rogue wave which surface occasionally. dont go out in conditions your boat cannot handle would be my advice. and never overestimate your boats capability. dont be these guys:

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your insights folks...i do appreciate the input and will keep looking to learn more in advance of pulling any triiger. thx

Looking at a 2017 Searunner HT ( canvas back ) but only has a 150hp on it. a few questions for those of you who have this boat: your reco on engine size ( crossing Georgia Straight regularly , fishing, mostly 2 people, often haul a bunch of building supplies, gear, etc ). Also wondering how you like the rise in bigger seas ? and, of course , if someone had one who might take me for a spin ( I'll pay for gas and for your time ), I'd love a spin to see how she handles. Thanks in advance, Dave

Well, I have a searunner 190 ET with Yamaha 150 on it. It's one hell of a boat. On the salt WOT it will cruise at +45 knts.

That boat will handle most any weather and seas. I bring mine out to Haida Gwaii and fish Masset and the west side. Anyone who has fished Masset early season knows what I'm talking about. Also the weather in the westside can blowup big.

I have had the prop out of the water a few times.

I love my boat

Last edited:
I agree people should not push the limits but the example video is not relevant to the discussion, I'm with ILHG, size is only one component of the seaworthiness of boat and if you have good experience handling and maintaining a boat the Searunner is a great one for interior waters and offshore while monitoring conditions.

Most importantly, did you get the boat!?

Well, I have a searunner 190 ET with Yamaha 150 on it. It's one hell of a boat. On the salt WOT it will cruise at +45 knts.

That boat will handle most any weather and seas. I bring mine out to Haida Gwaii and fish Masset and the west side. Anyone who has fished Masset early season knows what I'm talking about. Also the weather in the westside can blowup big.

I have had the prop out of the water a few times.

I love my boat

I have same boat with 200 Suzuki. Just love it, perfect boat for me.

I'm just throwing this out there. I have a 24ft alaskan hardtop with a canvas back. Were doing a complete refit on it. With brand new 115 pair. Fully loaded with deisel furnace, washdown, led lights, 3 batteries with a proper power distribution and bilge pumps etc. List goes on

Will be up for sale in the coming months. Will be selling for alot less than a new model which is in the 140 grand range.

PM if this is something you want more info on.

I have a 2009 OP220 with a Yam 200 on it. Can do 35knots flat out but i never really go past 25knots with it in usual ocean conditions. Burns too much fuel at full tilt anyways. Great boat and can handle a lot of water, more than I care to anyways. I really recommend the hard top, i have the bulkhead too and we use it all winter, its like being in your car, very quiet and you can have a conversation without yelling. Espar D2 furnace in it with window defrost. Great boat for the money. A bit wider and deeper than the SR but similar. 150hp should be plenty for a canvas SR.

I'm just throwing this out there. I have a 24ft alaskan hardtop with a canvas back. Were doing a complete refit on it. With brand new 115 pair. Fully loaded with deisel furnace, washdown, led lights, 3 batteries with a proper power distribution and bilge pumps etc. List goes on

Will be up for sale in the coming months. Will be selling for alot less than a new model which is in the 140 grand range.

PM if this is something you want more info on.
@Sangstercraft

I agree people should not push the limits but the example video is not relevant to the discussion, I'm with ILHG, size is only one component of the seaworthiness of boat and if you have good experience handling and maintaining a boat the Searunner is a great one for interior waters and offshore while monitoring conditions.

Most importantly, did you get the boat!?
Nope...didnt get it...sold before i could get to it. still looking..

Back