Sea Sickness and it's Remedies

The search can be your friend on this site as there are a few threads. ;)

If the following process can work for my buddy when we're out off the coast of WCVI.....it should work for most. We tried everything on him from patches to wrist bands to Gravol to all sorts of herbal remedies and naturopathic type things. Nothing worked until I made a scientific breakthrough in my clinical trials on him over the years. :D

Very simply, "drowsy Gravol" before bed as they will sleep well and they have anti-nausea in their system. As soon as they are up in the morning, Meclazine and depending on their size 1 or 2 tablets with some water. Meclazine is the main medicinal ingredient in Bonine and/or Bonamine (can't recall which or both) but aren't available in Canada anymore. When I am in the US I pick up a bottle or two of the generic stuff and bottles of 50 tablets last time I got some were about $5 USD per bottle?

Stores don't carry it in Canada anymore but Amazon does. In looking at this link bear in mind there are 12.5mg doses or 25mg doses.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=meclizine...352754&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_8qpgcidw48_b

Last edited:
Keep cool and hydrated. Take that extra sweater off. I'd rather be a little cold than sick. Stay out side and try to have all your knots pre-tied so your not looking down.

re-posted from the other one that I deleted.

also available at a USA costco for about $4.00
https://www.amazon.ca/Rugby-Travel-Sickness-Tablets-100/dp/B004FJFF2A.

Patch and one of these pills the night before and the morning of will work almost every time. The other part of seasickness is the anxiety related to puking and the embarrassment along with letting everybody else down, so that's all they think about; therefore, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Bonamine, aka Meclizine is the way to go in my experience. Doesn't make you sleepy like gravol and works for 12 hours. Have to get it at compounding pharmacies due to stupid licencing issues. I get mine at the compounding Rx on Old Island Highway and Helmcken in View Royal.

Last edited:
best remedy for sea :eek: sickness is more time on the water... after a few trips you don't get sea sickness anymore :)

I must have been a very slow learner. I commercial fished in 79 and 80 on a 87ft dragger out of Prince Rupert. Prior to that I had spent only a few days on the water. We were mostly 5 days out and 2 days in to unload. It took me around 6 months to completely get over the sea sickness. It was brutal. It was not bad when I was outside working on deck but go inside or down in the engine room or fish hold and any crappy weather would do me in. Some folks say it's the worst type of sickness that there is and I for one would not disagree. The old guys kept telling me to keep something in my stomach. That way when I puked, there was something in there to come up. Nothing worse than dry heaves. When I finally did get over it I was good to go but a very rough 6 months indeed. The old fellas had many a chuckle at my expense.

best remedy for sea :eek: sickness is more time on the water... after a few trips you don't get sea sickness anymore :)
For some folks yes, for others not always. I know commercial guys that still get sick after 30 years on the water. Some folks just can't equalize. Similarly there are folks that can never scuba dive.

I must have been a very slow learner. I commercial fished in 79 and 80 on a 87ft dragger out of Prince Rupert. Prior to that I had spent only a few days on the water. We were mostly 5 days out and 2 days in to unload. It took me around 6 months to completely get over the sea sickness. It was brutal. It was not bad when I was outside working on deck but go inside or down in the engine room or fish hold and any crappy weather would do me in. Some folks say it's the worst type of sickness that there is and I for one would not disagree. The old guys kept telling me to keep something in my stomach. That way when I puked, there was something in there to come up. Nothing worse than dry heaves. When I finally did get over it I was good to go but a very rough 6 months indeed. The old fellas had many a chuckle at my expense.

Dry heaving can be horribly painful on the body. For my stag my friends all took me out to Tyee Lodge in Bamfield. A couple of my friends had never been on the ocean before. Myself and the guide both told everyone not to go too crazy the night before going out and to not eat too much greasy food in the morning before going out. Booze and greasy food doesn't help the wanting to puke issue too much. Everyone was pretty good while trolling for the Springs but once we started jigging for Hali's everything went side ways. Three of my buddies puking. One got better pretty quickly when he stopped jigging and he got the booze and food out of his stomach but the other two didn't stop. They kept puking and puking and puking. Green foamy bile started to come out after all the food was expelled. Their stomachs locked up and were so sore. Muscle cramping followed that. Their faces were a clammy green color. They were begging to get off the boat. Seagulls were in their heyday munching down all the eggs, bacon, and toast floating next to the boat amidst the frothy bile foam. Of course we as good buddies got a good chuckle out of it at the beginning. But as we continued to watch the pain in their faces and their bodies convulsing as there was no more contents in their stomachs to come up we felt very bad for them. Their eyes were blood shot and watering. It was painful to watch. We headed in as fast as we could get back. No Halis were caught that day but some good memories were made lol. Those two friends have never set foot back on the ocean ever again. They both will go out on lakes but have never gone back on an ocean boat. It affected them that badly.

Those two friends have never set foot back on the ocean ever again. They both will go out on lakes but have never gone back on an ocean boat. It affected them that badly.

My uncle went fishing off bamfield, first day out big rollers and fog. pucked his guts out and stayed the next 3 days on the beach. He said he will never do that again. Jigging for halli he kept staring down at the blood washing back and forth at the back of the boat.

Soda crackers

You can find meclizine at a pharmacy that does compounding locally in vancouver according to our pharmacist neighbor. She is all about the compounding but is only working as a locum these days til she opens her own gig. Said she should compound up a big batch for next season and we'll get reeech!

You can find meclizine at a pharmacy that does compounding locally in vancouver according to our pharmacist neighbor. She is all about the compounding but is only working as a locum these days til she opens her own gig. Said she should compound up a big batch for next season and we'll get reeech!

That is correct as a compounding pharmacy in Tofino makes them but it’s about a buck a pill.....or at the very least notably more than buying in the aforementioned spots via Amazon or in the US.

We have been using the Scopolamine patch Transderm V for the last 4 years. Works okay if you can live with the dry mouth. Only time one of us got sick was when the patch fell off.

Good way for someone to at least help get used to the bumpy water if they haven't taken anything .. No looking at your cell phone, No looking down at the floor especially when your boating to the fishing grounds and stop then look down.. your done, it hits ya ..
get them to lock on to the horizon for awhile to get some sea legs, it helped for some people i know... they said it made them feel
more balanced looking at the horizon for awhile.

I'll second the ginger. I've taken out several seasickness-prone people, and it worked every time.

It also pays to remember that a cause of seasickness is disorientation between actual horizontality and perceived horizontality. If a person fixates on what's inside the boat and loses track of true level, the mind and body suffer sensory conflict because there's a disconnect between the message the eyes are sending to the brain and what the inner ear is telling it, and the nausea and other symptoms often follow. If I know someone in my boat is prone to seasickness, I remind them to frequently look at the horizon to keep their perspective and orientation, and that and the ginger have been foolproof so far.

Back