Rst mooching reel testing

firelight

Looks like a few of us have picked up RST reels of late. As we get to try them out I'd like to hear what others think of them.

First impression of the discrete fish alarm is that it's kinda loud, maybe a few fish peeling out will wear those fresh new gears down a bit. I emailed RST about it, haven't heard back yet.

No line on mine yet not till the new year for me. Just put the boat to bed too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355371373.558351.jpg

have to wait till June 4th for me, holidays booked for a month. Should be steady action with chinooks stacked up in rupert while im there for a month. Ill have a good idea how they fish around then. Ill post video and pics as Im setting up the go pro to record the action. Hopefully the rst rnt to loud that the scream of the reel will be all you hear. I wont be to upset though, just means its a nice chinook lol. Plan on having Two Black MR3 on one side and Two RST on the other. Team MR3 VS Team RST. I hope its just a shootout for the whole month.

Sucks I have to wait till then, but if they dont open hali early I wont be making the trip until I know there will be some good action. I will be out in March for king crab so might get some winter springs to do a light test on them.

There are TWO RST for sale in abbotsford, Craiglist right now 400 each. no tax better deal then Tyee Marine.

Looks like a few of us have picked up RST reels of late. As we get to try them out I'd like to hear what others think of them.

First impression of the discrete fish alarm is that it's kinda loud, maybe a few fish peeling out will wear those fresh new gears down a bit. I emailed RST about it, haven't heard back yet.

No line on mine yet not till the new year for me. Just put the boat to bed too.

View attachment 5417

Really ??? Mine is the opposite, and I had it back to Kevin for "updated parts".... Will have to look into that, as I got mine well before the sale price you got yours for, and incoming clicker is louder than outgoing. Lol,want to trade parts ?
You will love the drag, and the fact it's adjustable from the "safe" side of reel.

What parts were needing updating smtw, and is it a common problem or a one off? Was it the reel seat and the handles? I haven't heard many issues with the reel other than yours, then again I haven't heard many people comment about the reel period.

The clicker isnt as loud once you get line on it, however comparing the two sounds in front of me right now and I would say it is louder out going than when reeling in. The outgoing sound is not quiet tho it definitely does have a noise to it.

can you adjust the loudness of the clicker similar to how you can with an islander?

Well figured out a couple things...Smtw is yours switched from right hand to left hand retrieval? That could have made your's sound louder coming in than when the line is going out or it could be something from the earlier models. The issues you had with yours I was told were more to do with the first generations and small tolerances in the parts that needed to be adjusted. The reels being sold today appear to have those issues taken care of.
Some people also had an issue hitting the free spool switch, i discovered that the spool switch can be tightened by removing the casing. When you remove the casing tighten the screw that holds on the switch to the point where the switch becomes very difficult to trip (it won't happend accidentally), but can still put to free spool if you want to.

Any further developments I will let you know.

I'm glad your checking it out, mine is on the shelf till I'm back in the New Year. I hope you get to try it out on some winter springs coming up soon. The crew got together and picked one up for the boss for xmas I know he'll tell me what he thinks of it, lol. I'm gonna put mine on a new to me fethastyx rod and head out first calm day in January, prawns and springs.

Back