River Journal 09/12/2018

Got fooled 'cause I didn't watch the video.

My bad.

Take care.

River Journal Nov. 20,2018
Today’s river adventure was on foot. I arrived at a foggy river, very ghostly. I brought Ghost shrimps and beads. It’s been a long time since I hiked a trail alone. It felt like someone was behind me and the fog didn’t help. Watching the walking dead didn’t help either.

I reached the first hole and I thought I saw a steelhead. Real close so after 7 drifts and it didn’t move I stepped in to look closer at those rocks and those rocks took off. Dam. The good thing is I spotted more. I started tossing out Ghost Shrimp only and no luck. Then I went to 8 mm beads and nothing. Then I moved to ghost shrimps with an 8mm bead sliding freely on the ghost shrimp and nothing. Last I put on the 10mm bead sliding freely resting on the ghost shrimps and nothing. After an hour I decided to move up the river. Slowly approached every new fishing hole the same way and nothing.

Frustrated I decided to go back to the first hole and this time I pegged the 10mm bead 1 inch above the ghost shrimp. I don’t know why but bang three steel heads on and landed. Kept my two and went home with a smile.

Next outing the bead will be pegged 1 inch above the Ghost shrimp. Who’s to know the menu may change.

Attachments

• PB190003 2.jpeg
    PB190003 2.jpeg
    495.9 KB · Views: 70
  • PB200007 2.jpeg
    PB200007 2.jpeg
    617.9 KB · Views: 72
  • PB190004 2.jpeg
    PB190004 2.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 66
River Journal Nov. 20,2018
Today’s river adventure was on foot. I arrived at a foggy river, very ghostly. I brought Ghost shrimps and beads. It’s been a long time since I hiked a trail alone. It felt like someone was behind me and the fog didn’t help. Watching the walking dead didn’t help either.

I reached the first hole and I thought I saw a steelhead. Real close so after 7 drifts and it didn’t move I stepped in to look closer at those rocks and those rocks took off. Dam. The good thing is I spotted more. I started tossing out Ghost Shrimp only and no luck. Then I went to 8 mm beads and nothing. Then I moved to ghost shrimps with an 8mm bead sliding freely on the ghost shrimp and nothing. Last I put on the 10mm bead sliding freely resting on the ghost shrimps and nothing. After an hour I decided to move up the river. Slowly approached every new fishing hole the same way and nothing.

Frustrated I decided to go back to the first hole and this time I pegged the 10mm bead 1 inch above the ghost shrimp. I don’t know why but bang three steel heads on and landed. Kept my two and went home with a smile.

Next outing the bead will be pegged 1 inch above the Ghost shrimp. Who’s to know the menu may change.

I'm not sure where to put this post as I hunt (fish ) for ghost shrimps in the salt but use them in the fresh. here is my video on ghost shrimps. I thought it would be informative as I had mentioned using the Ghost shrimps in my last posting

Last edited:
River Journal Nov.22, 2018

I arrived to find two vehicles already parked off to the side of the road. It's a big river and lots of fishing holes for the opportunity. I didn’t see any of them. I decide to go up the river and still no sign of any angler. Using the 10mm Steelybead pegged 1-1 ½ inch above the Ghost shrimp. I started short floating and then increasing every six-inch longer after each drift. I finally got the length that the float indicated I was tapping the bottom. I tagged a rock a few time but easy release. On the last drift at the end of the drift, the float slowly slid under. I made the line taught and nothing indicating a steelhead strike. It felt like it was stuck on the bottom and then with a couple of tugs released itself. After bringing the float in the ghost shrimp was gone and the bead was resting on the hook. I put another ghost shrimp on and reposition the bead about 1 ½ above the shrimp. And this time as my float approached the same area I stopped the drift and allow the float to drag. Again it went down slowly but this time I had more tension and did a soft strike. Nothing was there. As I brought back the gear half the ghost shrimp was missing. I have seen this before and the past. So with past success, I kept the remaining shrimp part on. With the lower section oozing away with guts I straighten out the tail section and tossed again. As the float reaches the area I was all tensed and as the float again started to slowly go down I did a full force strike nearly taking me off my feet. Out comes this huge hatchery buck. Lots of displaying jumps and then he took off down the river. I had to make a quick decision before he reached the rapids. I dropped my rod tip deep and to the side in the river. This allowed the line to bow down the river and I let a little line out. What occurs is the river flow created a downriver bow and the force makes the steelhead think he is being pulled down the river? Watching the line and as it starts to lessen in force I slowly start to retrieve picking up the bowline slowly. I can see the line is moving up the river so I complete making the line taught and the fight is back on. What a battle. I can see the hook at the edge of his mouth and I had to be as gentle as I could be. Finally landed him to the beach.

As I record his capture I see a steelhead move into position just in front of me. All excited and reset a new shrimp and position the bead. I was sure for the next battle. That didn’t happen. I did fifteen drifts that went by him touching him twice either the line or weight and he just moved a little. He just wasn’t interested in my offering. So I decided to cover other parts of the hole. Again as one of my drifts reached the end I retrieved half a shrimp. Again I throw the oozing part back out and slam in the same spot a beautiful chrome comes out. After a big battle, she is landed and it’s another hatchery. I decided to call it day and quit at 9 am.

Attachments

• PB210004.jpeg
    PB210004.jpeg
    553.4 KB · Views: 73
  • PB210005.jpeg
    PB210005.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 59
  • PB210021.jpeg
    PB210021.jpeg
    530.8 KB · Views: 61
  • PB210010.jpeg
    PB210010.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 66
River Journal Nove. 24, 2018

Today is a special day in many ways. I haven't fished with Adam my eldest on a river for 10 years. He got his Christmas present early and a nice pair of waders. We arrived at the river around 7: 30. My first hole we are going to cover was taken by two anglers. I felt disappointed as this is where I have had all the luck. We watch them for a while and then decided to move to the next hole. I set his gear up the same as mine with a 10mm steelybead pegged 1 1/2 inch above a ghost shrimp using a #4 hook.
Good move as we landed four steelheads. with many short hits, unfortunately, on one, I decided to take a picture as she laid on nearshore still in the water and she flipped out the hook and took off. I counted seven other anglers on the river. Adam had his two hatcheries so he was taking pictures. We went back to the first hole as the other angler left. After 20 minutes and said we could go home but he said no keep trying. I am glad I did as a made a drift in the middle of the flow and I thought I had a hit. Confirmation came when all there was left was the tail. I put on a fresh red female shrimp. Watched the drift closely and kept up to the slack line. The bobber went down and I struck. Great fight from a nice hatchery doe and that meant we both caught our limit.

Cooked one tonight and it was a special meal, special day, and special adventure

Attachments

• PB230006.jpeg
    PB230006.jpeg
    495 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8413.jpg
    IMG_8413.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 79
  • PB230013.jpg
    PB230013.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 75
River Journal Nove. 24, 2018

Today is a special day in many ways. I haven't fished with Adam my eldest on a river for 10 years. He got his Christmas present early and a nice pair of waders. We arrived at the river around 7: 30. My first hole we are going to cover was taken by two anglers. I felt disappointed as this is where I have had all the luck. We watch them for a while and then decided to move to the next hole. I set his gear up the same as mine with a 10mm steelybead pegged 1 1/2 inch above a ghost shrimp using a #4 hook.
Good move as we landed four steelheads. with many short hits, unfortunately, on one, I decided to take a picture as she laid on nearshore still in the water and she flipped out the hook and took off. I counted seven other anglers on the river. Adam had his two hatcheries so he was taking pictures. We went back to the first hole as the other angler left. After 20 minutes and said we could go home but he said no keep trying. I am glad I did as a made a drift in the middle of the flow and I thought I had a hit. Confirmation came when all there was left was the tail. I put on a fresh red female shrimp. Watched the drift closely and kept up to the slack line. The bobber went down and I struck. Great fight from a nice hatchery doe and that meant we both caught our limit.

Cooked one tonight and it was a special meal, special day, and special adventure
Ok here's what I like about this post; you didn't identify the water that you were fishing. I recognize the spots that you are in and I fish there often. I've noticed that you constantly keep your hatchery fish - and of course you are entitled to them. I guess I'm just disappointed that you continue to post your actions of keeping fish. Promoting catch and release might land you a bit more respect in my book (whatever my opinion is worth). How many steelhead can a guy cram into a freezer anyways?
Pastafarian

They are hatchery fish meant to be killed. Trying to frown upon a guy for doing something legal is **** poor.
Who cares if he wants to kill boots! They are put there to be killed. So you want to promote catch and release of hatchery fish? Wtf???IMO it should be mandatory kill of all hatchery fish in our flows.

Last edited:
They are hatchery fish meant to be killed. Trying to frown upon a guy for doing something legal is **** poor.
Who cares if he wants to kill boots! They are put there to be killed. So you want to promote catch and release of hatchery fish? Wtf???IMO it should be mandatory kill of all hatchery fish in our flows.
You yourself wrote (in a different thread) that hatchery and wild are constantly interbreeding. So bonk them all then? If we bonk them all then we are really depleting an already dwindled population. Now I'm not saying don't bonk a fish. But keeping your limit every day adds up! And with the followers that Treblig has I'm sure many others will follow suit. I'd love to see this fishery continue for decades to come - but if all of us plugged our license every year don't you think that negatively impacts returns? The answer is yes.

... Promoting catch and release might land you a bit more respect in my book (whatever my opinion is worth). How many steelhead can a guy cram into a freezer anyways?

I am going to say this once to you, and once only:
snapoutofit.gif

No-one elected you as this Forum's Ethics Sheriff.
And no-one besides yourself has crawled up on their High Horse over this matter.
Why?
Because what Gil is doing is completely LEGAL.
In a Hatchery System.
Wherein those hatchery fish are purposely put there to be harvested.
So Back Off, and Back Off Now.

Sheesh!
The Holier Than Thou stuff certainly is getting a tad thick around here these days!!! :eek:

Nog

Ok here's what I like about this post; you didn't identify the water that you were fishing. I recognize the spots that you are in and I fish there often. I've noticed that you constantly keep your hatchery fish - and of course you are entitled to them. I guess I'm just disappointed that you continue to post your actions of keeping fish. Promoting catch and release might land you a bit more respect in my book (whatever my opinion is worth). How many steelhead can a guy cram into a freezer anyways?
Pastafarian
Open your own thread.....instead of high jacking one of the good ones....sure wish i was bonking some hatcheries instead of being stuck at work down island!!

You yourself wrote (in a different thread) that hatchery and wild are constantly interbreeding. So bonk them all then? If we bonk them all then we are really depleting an already dwindled population. Now I'm not saying don't bonk a fish. But keeping your limit every day adds up! And with the followers that Treblig has I'm sure many others will follow suit. I'd love to see this fishery continue for decades to come - but if all of us plugged our license every year don't you think that negatively impacts returns? The answer is yes.

As has been noted by a number of members already, if the activity isn't illegal no one is interested in opinions about ethics in report style threads. If you want to start a thread on ethics in fishing, by all means do just that. Get out and enjoy some fishing and take the holier than though attitude somewhere else.

I will be on the Stamp this week...you see a guy fishing a 4120b in a raft or in a boat wave me down and have a word with me about your thoughts.
And as with hatchery inbreeding how does the offspring from wild /hatch lose its adipose fin?
I think flybc maybe better suited for you.

Last edited:
It that time for candy salmon see my post in the cooking section and follow the results in three to four days.

Hatchery fish are made to be harvested, what is the issue here.
Great posts Treblig keep them coming.
Steelhead season will be starting soon in the Lower Mainland, can't wait.

Ethics or no ethics the latter is more relevant on this thread, either way I enjoy steelhead fishing to CATCH them I let my hatcheries go so they can be CAUGHT again by myself or some other lucky angler pretty fn simple. if you enjoy EATING them more than catching them perhaps you should take up salmon fishing on estuaries and beaches for returning fish stuck at tiny drought stricken creeks, oh wait that is endorsed here as well hmmmm seems like you of 's should just start going to the grocery store they sell steelhead there you know you could probably even use one of those scooter things at the grocery store so you don't even have to walk. Hatchery fish are taken from wild stocks they aren't just something that comes from nowhere. whenever it suits people to ***** at the regs on here they do it but when someone says hey maybe the regs aren't right and we should be restraining ourselves because its best for all of us the same folks say oh its legal so there's nothing wrong with it bonk away. This is the exact reason there shouldn't be hatchery steelhead they were and should be wild but removing the eggs from the redds they should be in somehow means bonk away. People should know what they are bonking and that if everyone is bonker happy there will be less fish in the water to catch, kind of simple. just so you fellas don't have to post replies saying it, I am holier than though for sure and a total elitist and I already admitted to owning a two handed rod so save your online breath and come up with some new way to discredit what I've said, maybe fake news,that sounds like its up a lot of alleys on here.

Ethics or no ethics the latter is more relevant on this thread, either way I enjoy steelhead fishing to CATCH them I let my hatcheries go so they can be CAUGHT again by myself or some other lucky angler pretty fn simple. if you enjoy EATING them more than catching them perhaps you should take up salmon fishing on estuaries and beaches for returning fish stuck at tiny drought stricken creeks, oh wait that is endorsed here as well hmmmm seems like you of 's should just start going to the grocery store they sell steelhead there you know you could probably even use one of those scooter things at the grocery store so you don't even have to walk. Hatchery fish are taken from wild stocks they aren't just something that comes from nowhere. whenever it suits people to ***** at the regs on here they do it but when someone says hey maybe the regs aren't right and we should be restraining ourselves because its best for all of us the same folks say oh its legal so there's nothing wrong with it bonk away. This is the exact reason there shouldn't be hatchery steelhead they were and should be wild but removing the eggs from the redds they should be in somehow means bonk away. People should know what they are bonking and that if everyone is bonker happy there will be less fish in the water to catch, kind of simple. just so you fellas don't have to post replies saying it, I am holier than though for sure and a total elitist and I already admitted to owning a two handed rod so save your online breath and come up with some new way to discredit what I've said, maybe fake news,that sounds like its up a lot of alleys on here.

Perhaps you didn't see my earlier post, but the point is this: Don't care what kind of rod you use and if you choose to release hatchery fish because you want to, it is all good. And, if you want to start a thread on the ethics of various fisheries, by all means do it. But, keep this type of commentary out of a report style thread because it derails the topic, which is frowned upon and annoys the members who come here expecting to see content based on the title of said thread.

Back