really stiff yamaha shifter

JDR

the shifter for my yam kicker is really stiff, the main motor shifter is like butter. This is the remote shifter not the one on the motor. Once in gear it is fine nice and smooth. could it be in the motor?? very little hrs on the motor?? ideas???

I doubt its the motor - have you used it lately?

If you havnt its probably some corrosion in the binnacle or cable line (most likely the cable)- they like to stiffen up in storage. I would open up the binnacle and lube everything up, as well as the ends of the cable, then work it back and forth for a bit.

img3937n.jpg

Check the cable sleeve at the kicker end. salt likes to build up there. Sometimes you can work it out, or replace cable, either way, not a big deal to do.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Thanks all for your input. Nice day so I took the shifter apart ,nice and free, found a slight kink in the cable, straightened it and lubed the cable, better but not great, will get a new cable, or put a sleeve on ot to hold it straighter. when straight it is better. The kicker has very low hrs. If only yamaha would make the pin on the shifter higher up it would increase leverage making the shift a lot easier:):) JDR

Back