Promarine prawn puller

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by Haverodwilltravel, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Haverodwilltravel

Haverodwilltravel New Member

hello,

has anyone ever tried this product? ( See link below). Essentially its a drum of thin line that is used as opposed to the heavy weighted prawn line. As well the drum is powered by a cordless drill. I am tempted to buy one. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Thank you in advance for your consideration and comments.

https://promarineproducts.com/produ...pro-thin-line-hauler-for-prawn-and-crab-traps

2. salmonkiller01

salmonkiller01 Well-Known Member

279 plus a 20 volt drill plus batteries and planned drill replacement. Looks neat but can not see it being cost efficient

3. Captain PartyMarty

Captain PartyMarty Well-Known Member

I saw these guys at the boat show earlier this year. Neat idea but 279 for a bit of bent metal and a string. No thanks

4. fogged in

fogged in Well-Known Member

Looks like a good way to pull up those damn Dog Fish when fishing halibut.
    Cheaper then an electric reel.
    Wonder if it's legal??

5. MadJigga

MadJigga Crew Member

Your onto something!

6. Slabbedout

Slabbedout Active Member

Seems like a decent idea for a smaller boat / dinghy that doesn’t have a large battery source and a wide gunnel to mount a standard puller on but I can’t see pulling more than 2 sets on a battery. A less expensive alternative for the rookies I guess.

7. Corey_lax

Corey_lax Well-Known Member

I would think that it would be pretty hard on a cordless drill. Two prawn traps are heavy and pulling at a low speed with lots of resistance is not what a cordless drill is designed to do. Cordless drills like to spin fast and little torque. Buy a couple good quality 20v drills throughout the year and the ace line hauler is looking like a good deal.

8. fishbadger

fishbadger Active Member

I like the thin line idea, though it might be tough on your hands. Otherwise it looks like a great way to burn up a few cordless drills,

fb

9. michael_reiber

michael_reiber Active Member

Seems like a good idea in theory but after crunching the numbers you're looking at 279 for the hauler plus you need a drill.. a cordless dewalt drill with 2 5Amh batteries will set you back 450 at home depot, and I'd be willing to bet you will be replacing that drill fairly often as I cannot see them standing up to that sort of abuse like Corey said plus the salt environment that they aren't designed to be in.. All that said the hauler and the drill will cost roughly 729 plus tax... You can get a brutus max torque for 579 at harbour chandler (even cheaper during there sales) and most boats already have batteries but if this was for a small aluminum boat you'd need a deep cycle battery which are around $150ish.. Which coincidentally comes out to $729 before tax.. (found it quite ironic the costs for both ended up being the same that actually wasn't intentional) In my opinion the ace line hauler will be better in every way and last longer and give you a more maintenance free experience.. Defiantly an interesting idea and could be a decent option for someone who doesn't go very often but at 279 for a wheel seems bit excessive to me.. Just my 2 cents though!

Michael

10. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

I saw these more as a way to spool the rope and having a compact bundle after using your real puller to get them up. But that's it. Otherwise duuuuuumb.

11. Corey_lax

You gotta step up your engiNERDing. I booger welded these up out of scrap aluminum. Two 500’ spools fit into a 7 gallon bucket (taller than a regular bucket). These aren’t for pulling traps up but just for the line storage and no tangles. I had plans to make a bunch of these and refine the design; maybe sell them on here. But I got busy with other things. Maybe one day Scotty will see these and make a plastic version that is a bit more streamlined haha

Attached Files:

12. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Great idea... terrible welds :p

13. Corey_lax

Hey it was my first time trying to mig weld aluminum with a spool gun. The fact is, it works haha

Rain City likes this.
  14. Oly1

Oly1 Well-Known Member

What did you use to wind the rope up onto the spools. Great idea for sure.

Oly

15. Corey_lax

my plan was to have a knob that could spin freely like you would have on a paddle handle of a fishing reel. Something tiny is the key to fitting two 500’ reels in the bucket. But I couldn’t find anything that worked without sacrificing some reels for the knobs so I just used a bolt with some rigid pvc tubing that slips over top of the bolt and it’s loose enough that you can grab the pvc and rotate the spool around. Works pretty good but isn’t pretty by any means.

I cut off a portion of a hook bolt and mounted it to the middle of the spool to give something to hook the line onto before you start spooling it up as the line hauler brings it up

Attached Files:

fshnfnatic, Oly1 and Rain City like this.
  16. Cannonball

Cannonball Active Member

My fishing buddy tried one as the rep was in trotac and sold him one. He returned it after one trip out. It killed 2 motors in his cheap drills and went through 2 of my batteries in my dewalt. The line was frayed after 1 use. The little arm barely reaches over the side of the boat so if drifting a minor amount, the line may touch the side of the boat. Overall a good idea, but needs more thought put into it as 1 trip out and it was proven it needs to go back to the drawing board and trotac returned it without issue. Go with a Ace Brutus line hauler.

17. Haverodwilltravel

Haverodwilltravel New Member

Thank you all for putting in your comments. You helped make up my mind. Its a definite no.
    All the best to everyone.