Pickled Salmon

pescador

For the first time I tried making some pickled Salmon last week. I’ve had it before and really like it. So, I looked on line and found a recipe and tried it. It required putting in quite a bit of sugar into the brine. While the process worked fine, I find the finished product too sweet for my taste. I prefer a bitter flavour like dill pickle. Anybody have a recipe they use?

Cover fillets with rock salt for 5 to 6 days, rinse salt off, Skin and cut fish into bite size pieces. Set fish aside. Take 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup water, 3/4 cup sugar, 3 tbsp. pickling spice. Bring to a boil then let cool until cold. Add fish and lots of onion.

Cover fillets with rock salt for 5 to 6 days, rinse salt off, Skin and cut fish into bite size pieces. Set fish aside. Take 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup water, 3/4 cup sugar, 3 tbsp. pickling spice. Bring to a boil then let cool until cold. Add fish and lots of onion.
And!!!! thin sliced pieces of lemon!!!!

Bring to a boil. I didn’t see that in my recipe. I’ll try that. Looks like the ratio of sugar is the same tho.

Recipe given to me thirty years ago from a old timer. His pickled fish was the best. Mine is good but I have never been able to match his. The onions are a must, I eat each piece of fish with a slice of the onion.

Back