OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Yikes! Anyone out around bell or north arm? Winds seem to be much lighter north of sandheads

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

This is off topic but if anyone is looking to get a deal on flashers, Army and Navy downtown has the popular Guide Series Gibbs Flashers (bonchovy, madi, lemon lime) which are all the rave right now on sale for $11.99. Some of the other deals are on VMC and Gamakatsu hooks.

Everything else is standard run of the mile prices but this is by far the lowest price on these flashers anywhere right now. Paying $15 or more for a flasher seems obscene to me...
Was just down there and they have lots in stock.

Everyone get out and enjoy the last 2 weeks of the mature salmon fishing season !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
North arm is choppy wind is definitely picking up. We are packing it in no fun fishing in this !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a little nasty at Sandheads this morning. Dropped the lines for an hour on the way to Saltspring and had 2 hits and boxed one 26 lb. Usual combination of wind and outgoing tide today ... Flattened out on the Porlier side of the strait though.

To ruff got 2 hrs in 5 hits...2 springs 36 and 31. And one coho released packed it in way to ruff.

Nice size fish!! Beats our season best of 34 back on Wednesday. Thought I'd post another pic with my bud holding it as this shot really does it a bit more justice than the one I had originally posted. Think we'll try and get out for early tomorrow before the winds pick up again. Says only 5-15 for the morning. Looks like a flat forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday though!!
20150922_130214.jpg

Nice size fish!! Beats our season best of 34 back on Wednesday. Thought I'd post another pic with my bud holding it as this shot really does it a bit more justice than the one I had originally posted. Think we'll try and get out for early tomorrow before the winds pick up again. Says only 5-15 for the morning. Looks like a flat forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday though!!
View attachment 20277

Nice fish, and not one boat in the background.

Yeah, it was rough out there today. Dropped the lines around 8 am just south of the North arm and trolled south for a couple hours with a sniff. By that time the wind and waves were really picking up, so headed to West Van. Trolled from just inside Point Atkinson, enjoying the calm waters. Finally got a hit right in front of Ambleside and my buddy landed his first salmon, a feisty 14 lb spring on anchovy at 60 ft. By the time we had it in the boat the wind and waves had swung around from the west and the Cap was just as rough as T10 earlier. Put in another couple passes and then called it a day. Kudos to all those who took advantage of the great weather and fishing earlier this week, wish I could have partook!

Yeah, it was rough out there today. Dropped the lines around 8 am just south of the North arm and trolled south for a couple hours with a sniff. By that time the wind and waves were really picking up, so headed to West Van. Trolled from just inside Point Atkinson, enjoying the calm waters. Finally got a hit right in front of Ambleside and my buddy landed his first salmon, a feisty 14 lb spring on anchovy at 60 ft. By the time we had it in the boat the wind and waves had swung around from the west and the Cap was just as rough as T10 earlier. Put in another couple passes and then called it a day. Kudos to all those who took advantage of the great weather and fishing earlier this week, wish I could have partook!

I think I saw you land that one by hand, looked like a nice one.
Pretty slow for us, marked lots off the Bell Buoy till we got blown off and did a number of passes at the Cap. Did one tack at the Pink apartments and got a nice little 4lb hatch coho. 62 on a chovy.

Okay on an off topic seeing as reports look thin today ....have to say the Daiwa M-One drag knob was designed by a knob! :confused:
As the pic shows it has these 5 smaller shallower finger recesses instead of just 3 larger ones that are on my Shimano. In the heat of battle when trying to quickly fine tune the drag this translates to a pain in the butt for getting your fingers quickly in there and getting a good grip especially anyone with big hands or wet hands. I actually rough sanded all the surfaces to give a bit better grip but definitely prefer the Shimano knob.
I find it's important once you get the fish nearer the boat to back off the drag slightly as you no longer have all that line to absorb the sudden pressure of the fish taking another run or big head shake.20150926_184058[1].jpg

attachment.php
[/QUOTE

Hahaha......that's Luke!? I know him well from Kyuquot!

Yes indeed if it was just me fishin I'd be using my old Peetz ...gotta love em ....but have a variety of buds that come out and to be honest without a glove on a couple of this fish almost roasted my palm recently.

Sandheads since 8am. 8 - 10 , 8 coho half hatch half wilds, one Chinook high twentys might nudge 30. 31 - 47 on the rigger , herring naked above dummies. Quiet since 10

Back