not for profit vs profit ..outlooks and opinions

It is not more red tape...just a more effective way to enforce what they have now. The SFI CTAG program was set up to work in a similar way, so not reinventing the wheel. Once you have CTAG you could place that logo on your site. Only thing is that most guides that were in compliance already and had all the requirements behind them weren't motivated to sign on to another program even if it was just to challenge the coarse. So as an enforcement tool it doesn't work.
Not sure why you would be apposed to having it mandatory to advert your certification as part of the overal TC program if it helps them enforce the present requirements. We both know more than a few free loades who would either have to shut down their web presence or take the coarses.

Ctag is just another money grab and no emforcement. Either you know what you are doing
and catch fish or your clients do not come back. Logo on the side of your boat who care there is no one out there to see it.
Next it will be a people skills course and if people complain about you and your charter certificate is gone.
There is no enforcement so another course means nothing.
The way things read here we should just shut down fish for the
next 5 year and let the fish recover.

Ctag is just another money grab and no emforcement. Either you know what you are doing
and catch fish or your clients do not come back. Logo on the side of your boat who care there is no one out there to see it.
Next it will be a people skills course and if people complain about you and your charter certificate is gone.
There is no enforcement so another course means nothing.
The way things read here we should just shut down fish for the
next 5 year and let the fish recover.
Sorry Doug, but this is not accurate in the least. Ctag may cost you $500 for the accreditation process, but if successful you receive a $1000 tax credit. Basically you will get paid $500 to get your accreditation!! Plus insurance companies are offering up to 30% reductions in the cost of premiums. This is because the underwriters feel that there is less risk associated with a CTAG certified guide. The program is not mandatory so enforcement is not necessary. It's like a "red seal" that a chef might have. You may not need the seal to work in a kitchen, but it is a way to recognize a chef who has considerable training and experience. The same goes for guiding. You do need the Svop, med, roc and first aid to run a passenger vessel, but you don't need the CTAG. If you view guiding as a profession, than there is an accreditation program that recognize experienced and qualified guides as professionals. With your considerable experience Doug, I would think that you would be a good candidate for accreditation, and I bet you would appreciate the tax credit and insurance discount. Anybody wishing to learn more about the program can go to the Sport Fishing Institute website..

Well said, certainly NOT a money grab. How many programs offer the opportunity to actually get paid for participating. This is a no brainer. Not to mention his offers participants a chance to market to their customers that your operation meets a recognized standard of safety and customer experience.

Wake up... the northern troll fleet is allowed 2.3% of the southcoast mortality before they are shut down. The seins are not permitted to retain coho or springs. 250,000 anglers (with a 30 fish limit) have more than enough clout to do serious damage especially if those stocks are in trouble. I am not saying the commercial fleet didn't overfish in the past but that is a lot of water under the bridge. it has been at least 10years since the commercial fleet has had any real access to these fish.

I don't claim to know everything I'm only referring to what I see out our way seiners went in to the canal last season to sweep out the remaining sockeye and I heard they did terrible. The link below will point out a commercial net fishery that really hurts the stocks.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/5-vancouver-island-native-bands-get-commercial-fishery-1

The key thing is if you haven't complied with Transport Canada your insurance company will not allow a claim as they always put it on you to comply...

yeah 30 % off on insurance dont think so just renewed mine and asked IF i had this it would have been MORE money NOT LESS......CTAG wont change my mind otherwise. .......
\
And YES ive posted my decals on web site as well but i always get people calling "can you take out 7 people" no ...well this charter guy said he could , I then try and educate them as to why you want to go with a DOT approved guy ....

this is getting a bit side tracked ......

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said, certainly NOT a money grab. How many programs offer the opportunity to actually get paid for participating. This is a no brainer. Not to mention his offers participants a chance to market to their customers that your operation meets a recognized standard of safety and customer experience.

Because there is a tax savings, does not mean it isn't a cash grab. The SFI isn't paying you sh*t for participating, they've setup a program to make money, not because they are great guys. Its a joke, no consumer cares if you're a "certified" guide, they care about how much it will cost and will they catch fish, if they're really picky they'll ask about the boat.

They advertise it like its a benefit to the guide, he can display the logo and someone the customers will come running - what a crock.

Because there is a tax savings, does not mean it isn't a cash grab. The SFI isn't paying you sh*t for participating, they've setup a program to make money, not because they are great guys. Its a joke, no consumer cares if you're a "certified" guide, they care about how much it will cost and will they catch fish, if they're really picky they'll ask about the boat.

They advertise it like its a benefit to the guide, he can display the logo and someone the customers will come running - what a crock.

;) LOL..give your head a shake ..what do you know about SFI ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Holly cow someone got up on the wrong side of the bed. I guess the $3000 one of my friends saved on his fleet doesn't mean jack! Neither does trying to help the guide industry raise the bar on offering an increasingly more professional product.

I checked with my insurance firm and they do not provide a discount of 30%. Can you please supply me the insurance firm name that will provide me a 30% discount for CTAG? I would like to get a quote because that is a massive saving ($700) for me and just about double what I get for power squadron and all of the TC course combined.
I will think about taking the course if it provides a 30% discount and the overall cost in the end is less for the same coverage I have now.

Searun
I would like to get your friend’s insurance firms name also so I can get a price from them. $3K is big savings, he must have a lot of boats.

Coast underwriters works with those guides and lodges that have CTAG, and they have better "wordings" in the policy. There are other underwriters that will offer discounts but I can't remember the name. I asked one broker who said no, kept shopping and the next broker said sure! Might depend on the broker and their knowledge and experience. The form to get the $1000 tax credit and info on CTAG is on the SFI website.

Here is what my broker wrote to me today about 30% savings

" I have dealt with Coast Underwriters since 1994 and I assure you the information he is giving you is not correct. Coast is a great company, great products etc but there is no way they give a 30% discount for CTAG."

We all started out at one point and yes it was tough enough getting out of the gates don't forget that all of you regulation wishers.

View attachment 10460

Like most I don't like all the rules in life .... but I must say that taking away rules like they did down south for the banks sure cost me a lot of money in 2008 .....
So to use a blanket statement about rules and the need to rid them is not always the wisest of ideas.
just saying......

We aren't looking for more rules just effective and fair ways to make the ones we have work properly. I don't think I'm greedy when I've paid for all the courses, keep proper books, collect the gst and pay income tax on what I earn. Then have a non certified and many of them being under the table operators who cut prices, collect no tax revenue and put most of what he earns as cash in the pocket. Not only is he not competing fairly and hurting my income....Me and you are making up for his shortcomings in income tax!

We aren't looking for more rules just effective and fair ways to make the ones we have work properly. I don't think I'm greedy when I've paid for all the courses, keep proper books, collect the gst and pay income tax on what I earn. Then have a non certified and many of them being under the table operators who cut prices, collect no tax revenue and put most of what he earns as cash in the pocket. Not only is he not competing fairly and hurting my income....Me and you are making up for his shortcomings in income tax!

I do here what your saying about paying your dues and others not being frustrating. Those folks are playing with fire and most likely will get caught in the near future. I believe a father son guiding outfit on Gabriola was busted a year or 2 ago for tax evasion and it came with very stiff fines and back pay to the tune of $50,000 . They had investigators go on fishing trips over a period of time then pop. Transport Canada and the RCMP in 5 boats blitzed our area over a 4 day period at the beginning of the season then again later on in the season. I was boarded and they said they plan to have a lot more presents on the water in the future because they caught many people not following the rules. So if you haven't had this type of presence on the water you probably will this year. Another reg and required association is not needed the enforcement agencies are out there it's just a matter of time until things work themselves out.

Back