Need Help Setting-up a Dual Station Please...

EZZ70

Hey guys, I am looking for some help setting up a dual station with both throttle and shift for 703 control box.... one at helm and other on command bridge. I may have a separate helm with sterling and throttle for kicker on deck but no thinking of that as being part of this design.

Seastar and Teleflex have gear boxes, anyone know which is better or of any other options?

Thank you,
Rob

teleflex-207572-dual-station-unit-throttle.jpg Unknown.jpeg
images-1.jpeg

Also, just found this option...

https://www.craftsmanmarine.com/propulsion/mechanical-engine-remote-controls/dual-station-unit/

953_219_159.png

Multiple Station Installations
Dual- or multiple-station applications almost always use single-function two-lever controls. There are two basic systems recommended for multiple station installations. The choice is dictated by the sum of the degrees of bend in the cables. The fewer the bends, the more efficient the cable action. The control system that gives the fewest degrees of bend should be chosen.

The parallel control system is used when cable runs are relatively short and direct. It consists of cables from each control station running all the way to the clutch and throttle at the engine. An option with this system, for use when cable runs are long, difficult or would be too costly, is to run cables from the both controls to a transfer unit. Then single cables can be run from the transfer unit to the engine.

The recommended method, the series control system, runs cables from the upper station to the lower station controls. Then a second set of controls runs from the lower station controls to the engine.

Understanding Mechanical Advantage
Because you are using a lever to create motion at the other end of the control system (the throttle or shift mechanism on the engine), it requires less effort than if you were pushing directly on the engine's throttle or shift mechanism. Understanding the control's mechanical advantage and the amount of force needed at the engine is very important when specifying the correct control.

For example, if an engine requires 15lb. of force to move the shift lever, and you are using a control with a mechanical advantage of 2.5, you divide the force by the mechanical advantage to determine how much force must be exerted at the control lever to create the needed 15lb. of force.

15lb. / 2.5 mech. adv. = 6lb. of force required at the lever

Last edited:
Why not just use Morse controls which make it simple? Two handles...one throttle, one shift. Cables between the two units and then onto the engine. Move either handles at one station and the others at the other station move as well. I have this on my Seasport which is 27 years old now and just replaced the cables between the rear and front stations last year...only because I figured they owed me nothing and it was time to put new ones on. I have replaced the ones bewteen the rear helm and the podded outboard a couple of times. They get all the flexing from turning and tilting the motor.

I am solving this problem by going with DTS controls. I hate cables, always a pain in the butt to install and replace.
What does that run you for the whole setup? I keep saying I'll do it when my boat half sinks and I'm "forced" to POD it.

I see Yamaha had an older system call "6X1 kit" that is discontinued, does anyone know what Yamaha has replaced this with? I can't find a definitive itemize Yamaha dual station parts list...?

dual-station-kit-single_bigyau0434a-5_e0ae.gif Unknown-1.jpeg

From Yamaha 2019 catalog .... this is what I currently have and want to add second station to. The electrical side is not completed as I just keep adding control/bus boxes, its the mechanical throttle and shift that I do not know how to integrate together?

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 6.46.35 PM.png

NO PROBLEM, thank you for thinking of me, appreciate it though, Im sure someone has some input, I just posted on The Hull Truth as well to get some extra feedback on this...

It's a 2018 isn't it?cant you just call up Yamaha and cut them a cheque?
Just use your profits from the other builds..

Really Wild Bill, :rolleyes:, again I appreciate your feedback but these comments you feel the need to insert, what's the point? :confused: I will take you out for a beer sometime and let you vent... haha :p

I think the morse control option might be the less expensive way to approach this, thank you for mentioning it. ;)

You said a little ribbing didn't bother you...
I was going to mention that control system is worth more than my boat but I won't...
It would be great to go for a beer. Just trying to inject some humour!

Last edited:
You said a little ribbing didn't bother you...
I was going to mention that control system is worth more than my boat but I won't...
It would be great to go for a beer. Just trying to inject some humour!

haha, Did you price this system out at some point, can you remember what was it worth?

It looked like a dual engine one with one station that came up for about $5000 and I think additional station was about $1700. Looks nice! Killing time waiting for ac boarding for the island : ). Yes! They just gave me business class!

It looked like a dual engine one with one station that came up for about $5000 and I think additional station was about $1700. Looks nice! Killing time waiting for ac boarding for the island : ). Yes! They just gave me business class!

Wow, that's way pricey... Might have to run the single 703 until i can afford rigging the command bridge... thank you Bill :)

Captain Party...I know someone who had a module fail on his Yamaha digital controls...the engine would only go into reverse. Price of the part $5000.00. I'll replace a $100 cable once every 10-15 years and put up with the fish wiring hassel and pocket the balance. Cables always in stock and fixed the same day...$5000 part in stock...doubt it.

Captain Party...I know someone who had a module fail on his Yamaha digital controls...the engine would only go into reverse. Price of the part $5000.00. I'll replace a $100 cable once every 10-15 years and put up with the fish wiring hassel and pocket the balance. Cables always in stock and fixed the same day...$5000 part in stock...doubt it.

Agree, anyone have morse controls for sale?... :)

I'll keep the 703 for the kicker

Any ideas which is better for single outboard dual station setup, tandem/series or parallel?
Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 3.38.18 PM.png

Mine would be the tandem setup. I have 2 cables going between helms. (one for throttle one for shift) and then 2 back to outboard.

Back