Need feed back on this Yamaha

Labman2

For sale 2004 250hp yamaha HPDI outboard 30in leg,comes with jackplate,trim,gagues,controls,cables,300hours on motor 67hours on rebuilt powerhead.
Found this motor for sale, the asking price was $11.350, has since been reduced quite a bit.
Anyone comments on this model Good/Bad, what to watch out for?

Stay away from HPDI engines. Very few get full service life. The 300 HP was the worst for early failure.

Ok. guy's but what are the specifics?
What do you consider as "full service life"?
"250 hours then a rebuild thats not very many that would cause red flags and who rebuilt it", I don't have the info on the rebuild yet.
I googled the HPDI, there is a forum on i-boats about them, but the only posts seem to be no different then other motors, eg. hard start, heating, stalling...
Anyone have direct knowledge of this motor group, I can get it for around $7000.00 complete!!!!
That gives a guy quite a bit of repair money, based on the going price of 6yr. old motors out there.

My biggest concern with any motor is reliability...nothing worst than a broke down on the water.. The HPDI have not done well for Yamaha & at a shop rate of $100 plus dollars a hour the saving can be eaten up quickly, costing you more down the road.
Just my two bits :)

Lots of info on HPDI on thehulltruth.
I am running a 10 year old 225 OX66 as a main engine.... a little thirsty, a little smoky on startup and from what I've read ........reliable.
There seems to be quite a few available at reasonable prices as people upgrade to 4 strokes.
Can probably snag one for 3 or 4 grand.

Thanks all you guy's, this is the kinda info I was looking for.
Not many motors of any sort available on the prairies, not like out on the coast anyways.
Too bad, this looked like a real jewel of a deal.....................

If your looking for a reliable 2 stroke Yamaha go back to the last of the carbed engines. I'm running a 1997 200 Yamaha 2 stroke. I get 5 full seasons of chartering hours before I do a tear down and rebuild for about $3K. New pistons/rings, wrist pins, big end and small end bearings, cylinder bore and gasket set. I also tear down, clean and carb kit the carbs while I'm at it. The legs are bullet proof as are the electrics. Also no CORROSION.

Back