Mounting a rigger on an older Double Eagle

DE18

HI There.

I have a 1985 double eagle and looking for advice or a tip or 2 on mounting a Scotty downrigger to the top of the gunwale. Not the flattest to try and mount the base plate. Anything will help. Thanks

I would have a look at this mount.

I used to have the spacer under my riggers. Just changed it out to the right angle mount from Scotty. Much nicer than my home built spacer.

Painted plywood on a buddies boat. Might not be nicer but sure saved $$$ for other things

Go to industrial paints and plastic starboatd in black or white, cut to fit i did on my hourston and used stainless bolts to fasten them down bottom under the gunwhale 3x the size of the rigger mount for more support, do it once wont have to do it ever again

wouldn't quite say WM cutting board .you need flex in your cohision that other supports detereat and rot.

On my 1989 17 foot DE I took the Scotty 90 angle brackets and had a welding shop weld on 2 pieces of angle aluminum back to back to the Scotty brackets.. The result was that the modified pieces rested perfectly on the outer most part of the gunnel and transferred all the downward load onto the vertical portion of the hull. I glued on as trip of thin rubber to the section that rested on the outer gunnel to protect it. This is what it looked like. The nice thing about this setup is not only is it strong but no holes drilled into the top of the gunnel. Remove the 2 inboard mounting bolts and it all comes off clean.

This is a better one..the thin line is the profile of the DE inner gunnel, the top and the hull...this drawing shows you how it fits and rests on the outer edge.

Back