Motor mooching up bamfield way

wildwest

Any moochers that still practice the art ??Have hooked a few when I put those pesky downriggers away.Aguilar point has been good in the past and thinking more of Kirby lately.Medium size herring or large may be the ticket I think! I may not get as many takes compared to the hardware BUT the fight is usually 3 times harder with those line peeling runs wouldn't you say???!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you. It's not always about hammering as many fish as you can. It's fun to try alternate ways to catch them... or retro style fishing.

I like to jig for my fish. Something I did a lot of in the 1980's. It's still fun, simple and effective. Perhaps not as effective as trolling but still fun none the less.

Motor mooching is not necessarily a way of putting handi-caps on compared to fishing with downriggers. Similar comparison---fly-fishing for steelhead vs. fishing spoons and bait--under the right conditions a guy with a fly who knows what he's doing can spank a guy using the heavier artillery.

Same with mooching and jigging--a good moocher or a guy handy with a jig is usually doing what most guys using downriggers do not always do: work the entire water column on each drop of the gear--that sometimes pays off handsomely.

I mooched and jigged up a storm 10-15 years ago. Ended up with bursitis in my forearm from pounding 12 hours a day. Switched to downriggers. Now I mooch the water column with bait, using an electric motor to bring the lead home. Best of both worlds

The down-side of working the entire column--when you're around rockfish like up against the rocks in Uke or Bamfield: drop your herring past 60 ft. and instant rockfish and one less herring in the brine

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh I hear you about those Rockfish......But with most of those Springs moving in that 35-55ft layer Rockfish may not be a problem.I'v been known to bonk a Rocky for a dock dinner now and then! I think I'll use smallish to medium herring to Match The Hatch.

Back