mercury controls

W

WillyD

A friends controls are stiff.Is there any trick to loosen them up. He has lubricted, but they don,t get any better. Are they worn out or is there a fix. Thanks Willyd

Thats because its not the controlls. Replace the cables and report back.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

He did the cables which was the easy fix. With the cables off ,the controls are stiff.I have not seen the controls but he is mechicanically inclined.Any thoughts. Willyd

Try undoing the cables from the engine, and see if the controls are still difficult. When he has the cables undone, lub from the ends and work the throtle controls, that may help. Good luck,.......BB

If you have already replaced the cables make sure there are not any bends interferring? Take the cable loose and see if the cable is shifts freely?

If it doesn't and you don't have any bends or kinks...check the "inside" of the control box. Make sure it is well greased, along with the the output ends of the cable. If there is anything in the control box that moves - grease it.

are these newer or older controls, if they are older take em apart like charlie suggests and clean em and grease em up , i had a on set of johnson controls on a boat that had a sorta of gear set up inside and were out of line, not saying that is what yours is, just throwing some ideas out

could be the friction control. On later merc controls they are not easy to find unless you are really looking, the screw is on the shifter console. Usually it is behind the throttle arm on the body of the shifter.You need to put the throttle arm into gear to see it. Some models have the screw on the bottom of the housing.

If that doesn't work I would still suspect the cables. Good Luck.

beemer

The friction control is a good one. I will give him a call . Thanks willyd

beemer; Just looked at my old 80 hp merc, couldn't belive it, but there it was, a "friction control " on my shfter. Been there for 18 years. Never needed it , and never knew it was there. Lots of good things to learn on this site !,.............BB

Back