Looking for flat bottom boat for fly fishing

Be cautious of those "jonny" boats - very unstable. Inflatable would be better wrt stability...

Look for a 1040 opposed to the skinnier ones.

Spratley's are the cats butt, but expensive and heavy. Marlon's are a decent alternative for half the price, but thinner guage (which can be a positive if you are manually lifting into a truck bed or roof rack)

The 1032 Lowe, Lund, Tracker, etc have a sub 300lb total capacity, do the math on that. And when loaded up have like 2" of freeboard.

Better yet, find a 12ft V and add some floor boards. Jon boats plow water and the sound of the flat front hitting waves while trolling or anchored in windy conditions all day personally drives me crazy.

Or get an inflatable.

Look for a 1040 opposed to the skinnier ones.

Spratley's are the cats butt, but expensive and heavy. Marlon's are a decent alternative for half the price, but thinner guage (which can be a positive if you are manually lifting into a truck bed or roof rack)

The 1032 Lowe, Lund, Tracker, etc have a sub 300lb total capacity, do the math on that. And when loaded up have like 2" of freeboard.

Better yet, find a 12ft V and add some floor boards. Jon boats plow water and the sound of the flat front hitting waves while trolling or anchored in windy conditions all day personally drives me crazy.

Or get an inflatable.

The Lowe 1040 is a good little boat. I've loaded it up with my partner, my girlfriend, a 50lbs deep cycle, my 3.5 hp 4 stroke motor and it is still fine on the typical small lake scene.

4 HP 4 stroke is perfect on that boat with one person, 3.5 still gets it up on plane with one person.

My one complaint about the Lowe is the thinness of the metal; it dents pretty easily, but on the flip side, I can carry it around on my shoulders easily.

Where do u live, are you willing to do some work?

Attachments

• B5257B4B-6FA1-4173-AF0B-CAED340076E9.png
    B5257B4B-6FA1-4173-AF0B-CAED340076E9.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
  • 8EF7601F-1AAC-435A-8C69-C8BF573804FF.png
    8EF7601F-1AAC-435A-8C69-C8BF573804FF.png
    2 MB · Views: 36
Did quite a bit of research on my quest for a flat bottom stable boat for fly fishing and settled on a Journey which is built out of Kamloops. Lighter than a Spratley with just as much metal and less expensive with some features that appealed to me. Forget the Jon boat as mentioned too unstable. The Journey comes in a 12' which I purchased and a 9'6". Very pleased so far with the purchase.

my 11'4" whaler is awesome for stability, but is heavy so needs a trailer and the glass doesn't like rocky beaches.

Back