Kootenay Lake Fishing Lures

T

tednugent

Hi all I guess I'm planning in advance but I'm doing an early spring 2011 fishing trip to Kootenay Lake in the Nelson area of the lake...does anyone have any advice on lures and colours?

Hi Ted:

Fished there for years, and by far the best performer was an iridescent blue/chrome 4" plug fished on a downrigger without a flasher. White is also another decent plug colour for rainbows; pink for dollies. Have used white, green and purple haze hoochies behind a dodger on a downrigger as well. Downrigger depths anywhere from 45' - 110', depending on the time of year.

If you happen to be there when the lake is flipping, (temperature layer inversion that brings the fish up closer to surface), fish black/white, blue/silver, or green/dark green bucktails right on surface about 100' from the boat. Bucktails fished behind planer boards in a little bit of a chop can produce well also. Dollies will hit pink/white polar bears with pretty good regularity. Apex hockey sticks also work pretty well when the fish are near the surface...a split shot 4 - 5' up from the lure is enough to keep it just below surface. Again, blue, pink, and green are good colours for Apex. I always preferred the wider models as opposed to the longer, thinner kinds, as they seem to me to have better action.

I fished there for over 10 years, and I always heard of guys using different spoons, so I tried them, but I never had much success with them...maybe it was just me!!

Tight lines and good luck!!

If you are fishing early in the season, Feb- Apr, stick to bucktails. Fish on top or just below surface. Use planer boards if you have them. As the season progresses you will need to start fishing deeper. Lyman plugs, Apex's, black, purple allways good choice. Spoons work in spring & summer but mostly smaller fish. Check www.fishhawkflies.ca, should help. Good luck.

For summer downrigging a flasher with an MP15 hoochie works very well. Tomic jointed 158 plug off rigger close to the other line with a flasher for attracting fish to the plug.

Back